Active Speakers In The WHF Awards...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, AFAIK there will be a section for speakers. Frankly, we haven't tested enough of the active speakers on the market to make a distinct category at the moment.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, not likely to be a separate active speaker category this year - who knows in the future! (I have been bending many a manufacturer's ear lately re them developing actives)

But room for active speaker sub-category in either speaker or digital music categories. Will all depend on whether we deem anything Award-worthy when it comes down to the final reckoning.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:By how they sound, how else do you judge speakers?or by how they compare in price to speakers that sound as good ?

T

the record spot

How about a special group test on the actives currently out there; KRK Rokit 5, Genelec 8030a, Yamaha HS80, Adam, etc. perhaps?

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Yep, not likely to be a separate active speaker category this year - who knows in the future! (I have been bending many a manufacturer's ear lately re them developing actives)

hi, does whf not consider the many many actives on the market to be good enough? why try and bend many a manufacturer's ear to develop actives when the pro-audio companies are making some very fine ones already?

T

the record spot

the record spot:How about a special group test on the actives currently out there; KRK Rokit 5, Genelec 8030a, Yamaha HS80, Adam, etc. perhaps?

And yes, I know you did one recently, but they were more domestic audio as opposed to those from the pro-audio side. The brands I mentioned from the pro-audio side could work in the home though.

Messiah

the_lhc:By how they sound, how else do you judge speakers?

Whilst this does seem the obvious answer, what I should have made clearer is how does cost get factored in??

I know that when passive speakers are tested a range of amps are used. This is not possible for Actives. Therefore are Actives measured against similarly priced Amp/Speaker combos?? Otherwise (just for an example) a passive speaker costing say £900 but paired with a £2000 amp would outperform say a £1125 Active. However, that same speaker partnered with a £225 amp would not perform as well and may not outperform the Active.

Does that make sense??

EDIT - basically all things are not equal when comparing Actives to Passives

A

Anonymous

Most actives need a preamp. Surely this balances things out.

T

the record spot

Messiah:
the_lhc:By how they sound, how else do you judge speakers?

Whilst this does seem the obvious answer, what I should have made clearer is how does cost get factored in??

I know that when passive speakers are tested a range of amps are used. This is not possible for Actives. Therefore are Actives measured against similarly priced Amp/Speaker combos?? Otherwise (just for an example) a passive speaker costing say £900 but paired with a £2000 amp would outperform say a £1125 Active. However, that same speaker partnered with a £225 amp would not perform as well and may not outperform the Active.

Does that make sense??

EDIT - basically all things are not equal when comparing Actives to Passives

Indeed, and are - pound for pound - a worthwhile buy. Several offer a volume control (AVI, Genelec) while others can be partnered with a dedicated pre-amp off a laptop, where onboard pre-amps from whichever music management app can be utilised, or a dedicated hardware pre-amp if needed.

Pricewise, at the £800 mark (where you're clearly in the territory of the budget market popular in this forum and the attendant performance that brings) actives can bring a step-up from that performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts