Active speakers and amps

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Maybe a strange question, but whats the deal with traditional amps and active speekers?

Its my understanding that active speakers have the amps built in, with that inmind do I need an amp? whats the procedure to get multiple devices to the speakers?

cheers!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Some may only have integrated power amplification, so will need a pre-amplifier to switch sources. This approach gives you the flexibility of choosing a pre-amplifier to suit your needs.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
My limited understanding is that it is the cross-overs that make the speakers active. Although many have built in amplification (as mentioned above, most commonly this is just the power amp stage so you would need a separate preamp), many have all amplification outside the speakers, such as these Fostex monitors made for NHK which require separate offboard amps (made by Accuphase),

http://www.fostex.jp/products/RS-N2

I think many others (B&W, Linn, Naim? and more) have similar products. In such cases the amplification and speakers will have been designed to work together.

If they don't have a preamp and the ability to take multiple sources you will need a preamp/interface to control volume and switch between sources.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
mushroomgod said:
Maybe a strange question, but whats the deal with traditional amps and active speekers?

If you have a read of the section labeled 'Differences between passive, powered and active speakers' in this wikipedia link it explains it quite clearly. :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_speakers :read:

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Not all active speakers have the power amps built in and imo its best to have external power amps.

The active Xover doesnt need to be inside the speakers either.

T

the record spot

john dolan said:
Not all active speakers have the power amps built in and imo its best to have external power amps.

This is one of the features of my Onkyo 818 amp. Something I hadn't realised, but I could buy some speakers without the crossover and the Onkyo would handle it. No plans to do so, but interesting approach.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
john dolan said:

This is one of the features of my Onkyo 818 amp. Something I hadn't realised, but I could buy some speakers without the crossover and the Onkyo would handle it. No plans to do so, but interesting approach.

That is actually quite interesting:

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/promotion/digitalcrossover/index.html

How does it account for Baffle Step Compensation and driver notch filters etc?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts