Active setup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Fantastic. Like someone else mentioned, I felt that the sweet spot for Genelec was higher up the range (especially as the cheaper/smaller Genelecs don't have enough bass extension for my tastes), but you picked up a great deal on those ex-dems.

Let us know how it is all sounding once you have them set up at home.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
They are a serious set of speakers, roughly in the Event Opal class.

Given the price I am guessing that these are 8050A rather than the newer 8050B but the value for money is astonishing.

Make sure you get the Iso-pod supports and check the documentation, ie make sure they are not s/hand. Register with Genelec, their customer support is of a very high standard, any questions, just check out their website, lots of good stuff on there. It has been a while since I have any dealings with them, but they were always extremely helpful.

Start saving for a decent dac-preamp, the speakers deserve it. Benchmark if you can, but failing that a Mini-I, good luck.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Yep 8050a's, no dsp., but I'm impressed.

Put in genelec 8050 vs on Google and like you said, opal's, focal twins/solo's are the comparisons.

Hopefully the warranty checks out 'cause I don't really want to take these back, but we'll see. :read:

Just proves though that you have to listen for yourself, I'd pretty much discounted listening to genelec, but as the record spot says, they're pretty good.

This may turn out to be right place, right time :pray:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
Yep 8050a's, no dsp., but I'm impressed.

Put in genelec 8050 vs on Google and like you said, opal's, focal twins/solo's are the comparisons.

Hopefully the warranty checks out 'cause I don't really want to take these back, but we'll see. :read:

Just proves though that you have to listen for yourself, I'd pretty much discounted listening to genelec, but as the record spot says, they're pretty good.

This may turn out to be right place, right time :pray:

To be fair it was not a fair comparison, the 8050s are in a different class from the others, both price and performance wise.

For the money you have got a very fine pair of speakers......... :cheers:

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Firstly, I'll apologize to the "stop it" post.

So I picked them up on Saturday and temporarily set them up on dining chairs out of position (due to the cable length) and left the settings as I found them.

So the missus liked them for looks and sound. I mentioned they might be going back if their history didn't check out, she didn't want that.

An email to Genelec sorted that and they're staying.

I've been fabbing up a couple of plinths for the 8050's, painted them up, swapped the room about a bit and set them up yesterday.

So they're fed from the rca output of the Sonos to the xlr on the speakers. The room is less than ideal with a lot of reflective surfaces, but it's home and not a studio.

The supplied isopod mounts are a nice touch, they allow you to pin point the angle to your listening position with ease and they don't move once there, simple, but effective.

I'm no writer or sound engineer (plumber actually), but they sound great. There's more of a 3d image, people and instruments are in different places in front of you, backing vocalists that weren't there before appear. Guitars seem to be the main instruments to benefit. On good recordings you hear everything, fingers sliding up and down, strings vibrating, fantastic. Listening to electronic music, the likes of trentemoller,BT, gusgus there's just more information coming out of the recording. I put a song on from Lana Del Rey and I thought it was a different version of the song or a remix, but it was the same, just more going on.

The bass is too much, probably the room, but I had to turn one of the 4 dip switches off, the floor was pulsing and the fireplace was a rattlin'. Via an android app listening is done from 65-75db and you get good detail and it's easy on the ear. Above this, the detail is amazing without distortion, but you'd damage your ears if it was maintained. It's like having 2 mini vee sub's in the room, my ears would lose the battle.

I use Rdio (can't get Spotify here yet) thru the Sonos and I must admit there's not a lot in it Vs my NAS. The NAS seems to be a little fuller, little more open, but not by much. Rdio don't disclose their bitrates, but it sounds good in comparison.

So if you pick an artist with say 5 albums and play a track from each, you can tell that they've used different recording studios or equipment. Maybe this is just the honeymoon period, and I'll just get down to listening rather than analyzing. I'm sure I did this when I bought my Dynaudios for the first time.

Off axis listening is good too, no worse than my previous system, so I'm more than pleased with this next step.

The DAC will come in time, but for now I'm gonna enjoy the speakers for a while.

Thanks for all of the help :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts