Active Monitors - Help?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I don't know an awful lot when it comes to sound, but by the looks of it, you lot do - so thought I'd ask for a little advice.

I used to own a pair of Cakewalk MA-15D's, but ended up taking them to a house party and one of them got dropped - lesson learnt.. and I'm now looking into getting another pair of monitors as I'm planning on getting into producing soon.

On a pretty low budget to be honest (around £200, possibly push to £250), but I'll be satisfied for the time being with whatever I get.

So far I've been looking at choosing between these, as I've heard both and like the sound of them, just unsure which to go for..

Alesis M1 Active 520

Fostex PM0.4 MK2

Another thing, I'd like to run these from my turntables as well as my PC and possibly TV/PS3, personally I would have it all running through my mixer, using XLR/1/4 inch jack to RCA leads - but was wondering if there was perhaps a better way?

Im fully open to suggestions and will most likely raise my budget if everyone thinks it would be worth it..

Thanks in advance, Sean.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Sean, you're looking more on the pro brand side but by the sound of it you're using these more for home use so its worth checking out the hi-fi brands too. At your budget, the best active speakers we've heard are the Audioengine A5s. The Aktimate Mini's are a step-up from that but are a little more expensive. Most active speakers (these included) only include one or two inputs, so you would either need to unplug/plug in each source as you use it. You could use a mixer, but a neater solution (if this matters) would be to use a source switch box - QED and Pro-Ject make a few of these.

A

Anonymous

audioaffair:Sean, you're looking more on the pro brand side but by the sound of it you're using these more for home use so its worth checking out the hi-fi brands too. At your budget, the best active speakers we've heard are the Audioengine A5s. The Aktimate Mini's are a step-up from that but are a little more expensive. Most active speakers (these included) only include one or two inputs, so you would either need to unplug/plug in each source as you use it. You could use a mixer, but a neater solution (if this matters) would be to use a source switch box - QED and Pro-Ject make a few of these.

Thanks for the reply - they are going to be mainly used for DJ'ing, but I was looking on the pro-side of things as I am planning on starting up producing soon. Will look into the speakers you suggested, considered getting the Audioengine's before.

As for the muliple sources, I'd probably just go with using my mixer, as most switch boxes seem pretty expensive, and a mixer is technically the same thing (right?).

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Ease:On a pretty low budget to be honest (around £200, possibly push to £250), but I'll be satisfied for the time being with whatever I get.

...they are going to be mainly used for DJ'ing, but I was looking on the pro-side of things as I am planning on starting up producing soon.
Alesis M1 Active USB
sitting on Auralex MoPADs.

All your analogue sources can be hooked up to the analogue input via your mixer. Your PC can be hooked up via USB.

TRENDING THREADS