Question Acoustic Energy AE109/ 4 Ohms good amp match?

Petmak

Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
Hi all there!

Very new in the forum although I read quite often threads.

Kind of excited! After a year of some research and hard budget times, I've started building my first system! Very entry level but still excited!

First, I've got the Pro-ject debut carbon evo a month ago (still in the box!). Then, I've got the Acoustic Energy AE109 brand new yesterday as I found a very good deal for 450 €...For my room (around 15sqm) should be fine. I checked them at the store with a marantz. Good impressions. Still in the box though..

Now it's the challenge to match them. I'm trying to find some info but it's hard to find any. Don't know why they're not so popular.

They are 4 Ohms and more on the neutral side. I went to a local 2nd hand store to match them with an old amp but the guy kind of disappointed me. Old stuff never going to work with 4 Ohms..he said. I don't know.

I guess/think I need a warm, powerful amp to support 4 Ohms or less to do the job. Otherwise it could be harmful or difficult for the amp. Don't know if old boys can do the job or a new one is one way. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

Any recommendations based on experience? Budget around 500€ +-

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
What Marantz model did you hear them with?

The sensitivity of those speakers is fine. Should not be a problem to drive them.

Last edited:

Petmak

Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
What Marantz model did you hear them with?

I think it was the PM6007. Maybe a bit older but I'm not sure. The guy told me it's on the neutral/bright side so he would go for a warmer amp as the speakers are neutral. I know some old amps are on the warm side but don't know if they can support the 4 Ohms.

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
I have a PM6005 and I would not class it as bright at all. I would say it is on the warm side.

If you liked what you heard when auditioning then a PM6007 would be the obvious choice of amp. It punches above its weight and will drive the speakers just fine.

What the dealer would go with is really irrelevant. Trust your own ears as we all perceive things differently.

Petmak

Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
I have a PM6005 and I would not class it as bright at all. I would say it is on the warm side.

If you liked what you heard when auditioning then a PM6007 would be the obvious choice of amp. It punches above its weight and will drive the speakers just fine.

What the dealer would go with is really irrelevant. Trust your own ears as we all perceive things differently.

Yes, thanks! This is the safe choice. I liked the sound but I auditioned them back to back with the Wharfedale Linton which are warmer but 650 € more expensive.

I would go for a vintage amp though if I knew it could do the job with no problem :)

However, I'm still wondering why there is no much info on the web about the Acoustic Energy AE109 and good matches by experience.

robdmarsh

Is this the new model of the AE109? I heard the old model (2017) and thought they sounded really good, a nice compact floor stander. The new one should be even better. I wouldn't describe Marantz 600X amps as bright sounding at all. I think they should work well with this speaker.

Also, the amplifier I have, Denon pma 800ne should also work well, maybe a slightly livelier, punchier sound than the Marantz but a great budget amp. My speakers have a minimum impedance of 3.9 ohms and sound very good with the Denon.

Petmak

Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
Strike that strike above! They do have a mark 2 version of this speaker. Looks great. No reviews yet though.

Thanks! Yes, they launched a new one. I went for the AE109. I think there is also an original version from the 90's.

As for the marantz, the 2 dealers I talked to, they both put it on the neutral side. Some people they call it neutral/warm. Maybe I need one really warm to match with the neutral speakers. The PM6007 is always a good option. I haven't checked the Denon. Yamaha and Cambridge are more on the bright side right?

robdmarsh

Yamaha I believe is on the brighter side. Cambridge I've heard in dealers and have not been a fan of. Marantz I like but I think could be said to be a little too smooth sometimes. This Denon is just right for the kind of sound I'm looking for. Great build quality also and I think it looks very nice in silver. You could try one and return it if it's not for you. Some retailers have a restocking fee but plenty do not.
My speakers are considered to be full-bodied but lively sounding. I just love them with this Denon! Good luck in finding the best partner for your speakers.

I guess/think I need a warm, powerful amp to support 4 Ohms or less to do the job.

Don't know if old boys can do the job

Maybe I'm totally wrong.

I would go for a vintage amp though if I knew it could do the job with no problem :)

You're not wrong and some older amplification can still show some of the new kids on the block a thing or two.

Anyway, the NAD C370 has a full bodied presentation and its high current power will easily grip, drive and energise your speakers.

Petmak

Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
Guys just a quick feedback.
After some months of trying different stuff I took the decision!

I’ve got lucky to discover a dealer just next to my neighbourhood who gave me the chance to try some amps. I tried the Marantz pm6007, NAD c 338, NAD c368, Arcam SA20 and Rega elex-r. I think there was no competition..Although my budget was a bit limited in the beginning, the elex-r made me double it…and I don’t regret it so far. I thought it would be a bit bright but it’s very neutral and a bit on the warm side I would say. Very sweet sound. Especially for jazz records. And the speakers are lovely.

So, this is my first setup and I’m quite happy: Rega elex-r, acoustic energy ae109, pro-ject debut carbon evo. Purely analog sound and I love it. I’m still in the burning in period for both and I’m looking forward to the final performance.

Now, I want slowly to add CD player, headphone amp and a radio tuner. Not thinking about streaming for the moment but who knows?

Just wanted to share it with you :)

Guys just a quick feedback.
After some months of trying different stuff I took the decision!

I’ve got lucky to discover a dealer just next to my neighbourhood who gave me the chance to try some amps. I tried the Marantz pm6007, NAD c 338, NAD c368, Arcam SA20 and Rega elex-r. I think there was no competition..Although my budget was a bit limited in the beginning, the elex-r made me double it…and I don’t regret it so far. I thought it would be a bit bright but it’s very neutral and a bit on the warm side I would say. Very sweet sound. Especially for jazz records. And the speakers are lovely.

So, this is my first setup and I’m quite happy: Rega elex-r, acoustic energy ae109, pro-ject debut carbon evo. Purely analog sound and I love it. I’m still in the burning in period for both and I’m looking forward to the final performance.

Now, I want slowly to add CD player, headphone amp and a radio tuner. Not thinking about streaming for the moment but who knows?

Just wanted to share it with you :)
That’s great to know. Delighted your patience, and deeper pocket, was rewarded!

Reactions: Petmak

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts