Acoustic Energy AE1 Active

Agagukha

Mar 3, 2023
Visit site
Hey there!

I could get a pair of Revel M16 (new) or a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1 for roughly the same price.

I know one is passive and the other is active. Small preference for an active and not having to bother with matching an amp. I have a couple of vintage amps - not sure it would be great with the m16 or what.

I'm just looking at the msrp for both anr they look like in a whole different class. But are they, sonically? Anyone had a chance to listen to music on both? Let me know what you think!

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hey there!

I could get a pair of Revel M16 (new) or a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1 for roughly the same price.

I know one is passive and the other is active. Small preference for an active and not having to bother with matching an amp. I have a couple of vintage amps - not sure it would be great with the m16 or what.

I'm just looking at the msrp for both anr they look like in a whole different class. But are they, sonically? Anyone had a chance to listen to music on both? Let me know what you think!
Hello Agagukha,
I can vouch for the AE1s. Really lovely, rich sound - Not at all fatiguing. I’ve paired them with an Audiolab 8300cdq and I’m really very happy with the set up. If you aren’t going to place them close to a couple of wall sockets, be prepared to have to use an extension or two to get power to them 😉

Reactions: Agagukha
I bought a pair of Revel Concerta2 M16 because I had heard them at a show a few years back and was impressed. They give a very big sound for the size - they’re physically bigger than AE1 - so need plenty of room. If you like rock and loud I’d recommend them. If you’re more into subtle and detail, I’d pass. I’d not imagine they’d be great with older amps. Better with modern, crisp sound. Ok if you can get them for £5-600, but not worth a grand in my book. I prefer KEF LS50 if I were to live with them.

Only heard AE1 active at shows, but always sounded delightful. The finish is stunning too. If you offered me one or the other I’d take the Acoustic Energy in a blink.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts