Acoustic Energy AE 109 - Technics A800 pre-power - CDP PS670D

postup

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
We have Technics electronics (power A800S MkII; pre C800u M2; CDP PS670D) with a pair of AE 109, purchased in 1999. over here in Croatia. All units working perfectly well, however, would like to upgrade, but can't afford to replace the entire system. The speakers (which both my wifie and I liked) were auditioned with a good UK integrated amp/CD (NAD or MF), which we passed due to better credit terms elsewhere and ... the lack of remote! Yes, and the budget was a bit limited.

As many forum participants suggest, I should replace either electronics or the speakers; I'd rather replace the electronics first, but will consider other suggestions. Music taste includes world music, jazz, indie, acoustic pop, baroque/orchestral. Room size 3,2 x 5 meters, will be moved to another 4,5 x 6 m.

I would like to start with a good enough CDP/amp combo (budget around 3,000 GBP for both) for future speakers upgrades in 1 - 2 years ((including the likes of classic and new Spendors (previously owned SP1, still regret selling them); Proac; PMC; Dynaudio .....)) that would meanwhile also drive well my present AEs. Most of electronics discussed in WHF is available over here (NAIM; Cyrus; Primare; Moon; MF; Quad; Unison Research; Roksan; Marantz and the full lineup of "usual UK suspects", like NAD; Arcam; CA ....). Several dealers over here suggested replacing speakers or electronics with similarly priced new units, which seems to me rather pointless.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
If the woofer surrounds on your AE109's are still in good condition (e.g. they're not perished) I would keep them.

The Technics A800/SU-C800 combination is surely your weakest link here, and you would surely benefit most from upgrading this first.

I know - I used to have that same combination - and to be honest, I heard a Marantz PM66SE which sounded better..

I think your dealers suggestions of replacing with similarly priced electronics is a good one, as (in particular) amps and CD players have come a long way since you bought your Technics.

Tony.

postup

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Tony.

You confirmed my idea that it was the amp .......

The speakers are in good condition, I would keep them.

Could you, or anybody else, suggest good CDP/amp combo that would match AEs nicely and be a good source for later speaker upgrade (as I said, Spendor, Proac, PMC, in the 1.000 - 1.500 GBP range, are the most interesting options)?

Postup.

postup

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
ANYBODY?
emotion-18.gif

AE 109 onwers, HELP!!! You of all will know how difficult it is to carry those around (as retailers over here are not keen on lending kit for home demo).

From previous threads on this forum, AE 109s are described ad warm, good midrange (too) powerful bass ... Does it mean that the wwould match nicely with neutral or bright equipment (Cyrus, CA ... )?

Many thanks.

Postup.

A

Anonymous

have a look at the naim uniti for an excellent one box solution

otherwise look at an electrocompaniet amp plus one of the rega cd players theyre a good mix dont worry that the amp costs more than the cd player

the electocompaniet amp will see you through a fair number of speaker upgrades theyre really good

A

Anonymous

the eci 3 is selling for £1600 in here in the uk and at that price is a bargain

postup

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks one-off.

There is an ex-demo Electrocompaniet PI-2 for approx. 1,400 GBP, full warranty, through a local Electrocompaniet dealer. Would you consider it a good deal?

Rega is available over here, however, at a serious mark-up above UK prices (Saturn will retail for 1,500 GBP + ....; Apollo is priced around 720 GBP) and I would rather buy elsewhere ....

Some brands (Marantz, CA, NAD, Cyrus, Primare, Yamaha, Creek) are priced similarly to UK, Quad and Audiolab slightly above

Could your or anybody else suggest alternative CD and/or amp from other brands listed above?

Postup.

T

the record spot

If the AE's are still in good condition and you like the sound of them, then hang on to them. If they were good in 1995, they won't rubbish today just by the passage of time.

Can I just check the amp numbering again - is it the 800 or the 8000 pre/power series? Just checking.

My gut instinct would be to change the CDP first. £1500 will get you into some excellent kit, both new and used and by the brands you mention. Have a look at the Jordan Acoustics site to see what your money may get you in the used market - they're based in Glenrothes in Scotland, so a tad distant from Croatia (!), however, their range is higher end and all in superb condition typically and it'll give you some ideas. Here's their website, very nice McIntosh and Resolution Audio Opus 21 CDPs in there currently both around the £1900 mark, which is a tad over your budget per item but it's a good indication: http://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/used-equipment.html

If it was my money, I'd be updating the CDP, then the amps. Lastly, the speakers probably do need to go at some point; good though the 109s were, if you're looking at £1500 kit, you'll not likely get the best of your new gear if you stick with them in the long term.

Must admit, wish I had £1900 for the McIntosh CDP, I'd be over it like a rash in no time - plus they're just up the road from me too!!

Happy hunting though, some great options out there whatever you choose.

postup

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks TRC; only the 800's series, not the 8000's...

Unfortunately, shopping for HiFi in Scotland is a not an option (for the time being), I'l have to chose from those available over here (macintosh is similarly priced here, though).

Postup.

T

the record spot

No, I appreciate you wouldn't be buying from here, but it might give you some ideas on other options to consider if you can get them locally.

Lovely place Croatia, we were there in 2005; stayed in Dubrovnik, Trogir and Split. The latter on the day Hadjuk won the league going by the celebrations...!

postup

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Hello TRC!

Just posted the same thread locally, and the first reply posted proposed - 2nd hand McIntosh MA6500 amplifier, some 2600 GBP + Rega Apollo. To further the coincidence, that guy most certainly comes from the area you visited in 2005 (the beautiful south of Croatia) ... So far I was not very eager about hte 2nd hand market, it's much smaller and more expensive than UK, but who knows ....

About the last item (Hajduk, football, celebrations etc.), you will most certainly appreciate my reticence on the subject (England:Croatia/Croatia:England, Ukraina/England, not the most cheerful subject over here ...).

Any suggestions from the range mentioned above (brands priced similarly as in UK)?

postup.

TRENDING THREADS