ACCUPHASE E350

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Mac, that is a beautiful amp that should kill the upgrade bug permanently.

What a lovely piece of kit. *man_in_love*

It must kill the bug Electro, otherwise it will be me that will be upgraded, by Mrs Mac!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Funnily, I would not change for a newer accuphase. The 50 series where good and sturdy little accus. I would rather go for a E-450, to be sure to stay with something good and reliable. After that came a succession of little bugs and problems that striked over and over again nearly in every country. Not straight mounted vu meters, un-explained hum issues. Add to that, that the actual internal designs are more difficult to repair than the older ones. And add to that, that, especially in Europe, a great amount of past 50 amps are equipped with an aditionnal standby box. The design of that is lousy and sometimes generate hum or don't work properly and put the amp in standby mode when listening to music (reported to me by several accuphase dealers). You will find all informations about that on the german "hifi-forum.de". But, if working properly, the E-470 is a fine amp.

Greetings from a C-2110 user.

Thank you for the heads up NSA. I will be sure to check it out thoroughly once it arrives.

Mac

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Judging by my 1987 Accuphase E - 205 that has for this production year amazing sound I can imagine how new ones can sound like. I can also recommend anyone to have a listen to Accuphase - their sound they offer is extremely good balanced ,smooth with great treble transparency and overall authorithy. Really good amps and what is also interesting - none has been even reviewed in WHF ? I wonder why is that so. Accuphase has been almost 40 years on the market.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
stereoman said:
Judging by my 1987 Accuphase E - 205 that has for this production year amazing sound I can imagine how new ones can sound like. I can also recommend anyone to have a listen to Accuphase - their sound they offer is extremely good balanced ,smooth with great treble transparency and overall authorithy. Really good amps and what is also interesting - none has been even reviewed in WHF ? I wonder why is that so. Accuphase has been almost 40 years on the market.

Sadly, at the moment there is only one dealer that sells Accuphase in the UK, but hopefully that will soon change when Fanthorps give it a whirl.

Accuphase from 1985 hey, that's longevity for you.

Mac

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
stereoman said:

Sadly, at the moment there is only one dealer that sells Accuphase in the UK, but hopefully that will soon change when Fanthorps give it a whirl.

Mac

As you can probably imagine there are plenty of old Accuphase amps available here in Japan 2nd hand. Along with Sansui and Luxman. Amos really built to last.

My dad has a Luxman from the 70s that is still going strong. I think he's had it serviced a couple of times and recapped once.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
Macspur said:
stereoman said:

Mac

As you can probably imagine there are plenty of old Accuphase amps available here in Japan 2nd hand. Along with Sansui and Luxman. Amos really built to last.

My dad has a Luxman from the 70s that is still going strong. I think he's had it serviced a couple of times and recapped once.

A true testament to another great build

Mac

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
ID. said:
Macspur said:
stereoman said:

Mac

Bought mine from second hand shop in Berlin 4 months ago in spotless condition, silver. Paid 500 €. Really worth it. Planning to buy new Leema Elements amp though and newer Accu in future. I'm not really into vintage audio but some old good stuff will always sound good I think.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
stereoman said:
ID. said:
Macspur said:
stereoman said:

Mac

Bought mine from second hand shop in Berlin 4 months ago in spotless condition, silver. Paid 500 €. Really worth it. Planning to buy new Leema Elements amp though and newer Accu in future. I'm not really into vintage audio but some old good stuff will always sound good I think.

If you find an Accuphase for that kind of money, it's a no brainer. I urge anyone who gets the chance to do the same to go for it.

Mac

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
stereoman said:
ID. said:
Macspur said:
stereoman said:

Mac

If you find an Accuphase for that kind of money, it's a no brainer. I urge anyone who gets the chance to do the same to go for it.

Mac

Asking price for a new 470 here in Japan is 3500 pounds at current exchange rates :)

2nd hand you could do a pre/power set for a similar price.

Around 2800 if 2nd hand from a dealer.

At the 2nd hand site I'm looking at there aren't many older integrated amps, but the E-250 is around 1400 pounds.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
Macspur said:
stereoman said:
ID. said:
Macspur said:
stereoman said:

Mac

Mac

Asking price for a new 470 here in Japan is 3500 pounds at current exchange rates :)

At the 2nd hand site I'm looking at there aren't many older integrated amps, but the E-250 is around 1400 pounds.

That's cruel ID,

It's enough to make me weep.

Mac

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
ID. said:
Macspur said:
stereoman said:
ID. said:
Macspur said:
stereoman said:

Mac

Mac

That's cruel ID,

Mac

That's OK. I could rant about the markup on some UK speakers.

I worked out that for many brands it would work out a little cheaper to fly to London, buy a pair, and bring them back to Japan myself.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
Macspur said:
ID. said:
Macspur said:
stereoman said:
ID. said:
Macspur said:
stereoman said:

Mac

Mac

That's cruel ID,

Mac

That's OK. I could rant about the markup on some UK speakers.

I worked out that for many brands it would work out a little cheaper to fly to London, buy a pair, and bring them back to Japan myself.

Crazy isn't it.

Mac

robhifi

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Macspur,just some thoughts from me regarding your upgrade,which I assume hasn't taken place yet.

From your current 350 to the new offered 470, the only real difference is the power increase.

​But, do you really need more power with your Harbeth?

I would actually give more thoughts to E600. Many Accuphase users I know (and myself too) believe that the Accuphase's "real magic" in the its Class A amps.

E600 had 30w class A power and that's enough for most monitors.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
robhifi said:
Macspur,just some thoughts from me regarding your upgrade,which I assume hasn't taken place yet.

From your current 350 to the new offered 470, the only real difference is the power increase.

​But, do you really need more power with your Harbeth?

I would actually give more thoughts to E600. Many Accuphase users I know (and myself too) believe that the Accuphase's "real magic" in the its Class A amps.

E600 had 30w class A power and that's enough for most monitors.

It's a fair comment and I did consider that option, but I've already tried Class A with a top of the range Sugden and as much as I loved the overall sound, I couldn't live with the heat generated and it's large power consumption, plus the E600 would have cost another grand!

My E350 is over 5 years old now and I'm it's second owner, if I left it much longer I would struggle to get the kind of deal I've struck for the part ex and as I wanted to stick with Accuphase, the E470 was the natural choice.

Mac

robhifi

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Sure, I had 460 and you won't go wrong with 470.

Regarding the heat, for reasons beyond me, Accuphase Class A is not "hot" in traditional sense.

Still touchable. I used to have a KRELL 400i (class AB at 200w) and it was much much hotter.....untouchable.

By the way, you live the UK and why would worry about the heat?
tounge_smile.gif

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
robhifi said:
Sure, I had 460 and you won't go wrong with 470.

Regarding the heat, for reasons beyond me, Accuphase Class A is not "hot" in traditional sense.

Still touchable. I used to have a KRELL 400i (class AB at 200w) and it was much much hotter.....untouchable.

By the way, you live the UK and why would worry about the heat?

Yes, you're right, they aren't quite as hot as the usual Class A... I did hear the E560 last year with a pair of SF's and wasn't that blown away by the combo.... can't remember which model of SF and that got fairly toasty.

I've only got a small listening room with lots of glass, in the Summer that combined with a hot amp became unbarable.

Never say never though, perhaps in a few years and if I move to a house with a bigger room, I'd quite like to go down the pre/power route... Accuphase of course.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Iceman, nothing missing, just with the age of the E350 and the deal on the table, seemed like a good time to upgrade/change... bit like some people who trade in their cars after a certain time.

Mac

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mac,

I wish you many years of beautiful music (thank you for the great work you do with your blog*good*).

Enjoy your new Accu amp *drinks*

Tzutzu

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks very much for your kind words Tzutzu... will be back with the blog this weekend.

The E470 has now arrived, plugged in, hooked up and playing music as I type... sounds pretty good straight out of the box.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had the E470 for about 10 days now, listening to music/radio for approximately 4 hours every week night and about 6 per day over weekends... the warm up time recommended is between 200 and 400 hours, but thought I would share my findings so far.

It possesses a thicker warmer tone than the E350, a larger soundstage and greater depth to the music.

As a result of the denser sound it rendours recordings with pronounced treble softer, but in no way detracts from detail... I haven't once adjusted the tone controls on the amp, unlike with the E350.

Dynamics are breathtaking, vivid and lifelike, instrument separation is spot on. The E470, despite the thicker sound, is still beautifully fluid, liquid gold in fact.

Excuse the poetic lisence there., but I just love it.

Apart from the sound, it's such a gorgeously tactile machine, which is obviously important to me. It does everything I need, with it's many inputs I've managed to intigrate my mini disc recorder and CDR into the system perfectly.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts