ACCUPHASE E350

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Sorry not etc..

Hi Iceman,

You have an excellent set up there... I know you want to change the speakers, just take your time choosing and when you've done that, you will be complete.

Although, aparrently Focal is an excellent match with Accuphase lol!
Mac

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You should keep your eye out for a Luxman.
evil.png

Nice one here for two and a half grand. (£1000 quid less than new and in mint condition from a guy with excellent feedback).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
evil.png

Nice one here for two and a half grand. (£1000 quid less than new and in mint condition from a guy with excellent feedback).

Worth selling a kidney for.........beautiful amp.

If I remember rightly, Ed Plays Drums used to have that Luxman, but for some reason moved it on in favour of a Croft pre/power combo.

Mac

robhifi

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Before E460, I used to own a KRELL 400xi(200w 8ohm,400w 4 ohm) integrated.
So you get my point, I didn't want to make too much compromise on power output.
I never had a chance to compare 350(360 and 260 have just been released with new volume display) and 460,I guess if the matching speakers are not power hungry, they should sound very similar.
Then again, you can't go wrong with more power :O

Why did I switch to pre power combo?
Well, I found E460 so good (I've been into HIFI for 13 years) with spendor a6 that I wondered how "even better" it will become with pre-power.
1 year after E460,I bought the A35, just to have a taste of the Class A heaven, and using e460 as preamp.
They worked like a dream (that's better than just "so good").
Early this year, I got a good offer to trade in my e460 for a brand new 2420 preamp.
So I did . And again, they worked like wet dreams with my new Spendor 1/2R2 (traded in by A6).

Accuphase with Harbeth marriage is not popular here in China so I wouldn't know.
Most Chinese audiophile believe that Accuphase goes best with FOCAL 10xx, CHARIO academy , B&W 8xx and TANNOY (KINGDOM series).

I am buying ATC scm19 to match my Accuphase, possibly something to be laughed at by my local audiophile friends.
But so what, I like experiments and challenges.

The after-discount prices for ACCUPHASE from official dealers in China are:
E460- 4.3K pounds
A35-3.3K pounds
C2420- 5.8K pounds

How expensive are they in the UK?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mac, great to hear that the Accuphase is what you're looking for and welcome to the club! :dance:

I believe over on the HUG there is a thread about how well Accuphase matches with Harbeth but I've sworn off that forum so I haven't read it for myself. Besides I already knew how good the pairing is....Anyway, glad that it all worked out - congrats and enjoy! :cheers:

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
evil.png

If I remember rightly, Ed Plays Drums used to have that Luxman, but for some reason moved it on in favour of a Croft pre/power combo.

Mac

Hi Mac

I did indeed. Its a great amp and built like a tank! I did change to the Croft set up. Some might think i am mad but i just preferred the sound especially with vinyl. Running the Luxman was like having a 2 bar electric fire on in the front room and used to draw a lot of current. To be honest i will probably end up with a full valve set up eventually when my boys are older. I have been following CJ's latest threads with great interest!

Mac i am so pleased for you regarding the Accuphase. Great stuff!! Like you say if you can really enjoy your music at home then all is well in the world!

Cheers, Ed

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
robhifi said:
Before E460, I used to own a KRELL 400xi(200w 8ohm,400w 4 ohm) integrated. So you get my point, I didn't want to make too much compromise on power output. I never had a chance to compare 350(360 and 260 have just been released with new volume display) and 460,I guess if the matching speakers are not power hungry, they should sound very similar. Then again, you can't go wrong with more power :O Why did I switch to pre power combo? Well, I found E460 so good (I've been into HIFI for 13 years) with spendor a6 that I wondered how "even better" it will become with pre-power. 1 year after E460,I bought the A35, just to have a taste of the Class A heaven, and using e460 as preamp. They worked like a dream (that's better than just "so good"). Early this year, I got a good offer to trade in my e460 for a brand new 2420 preamp. So I did . And again, they worked like wet dreams with my new Spendor 1/2R2 (traded in by A6). Accuphase with Harbeth marriage is not popular here in China so I wouldn't know. Most Chinese audiophile believe that Accuphase goes best with FOCAL 10xx, CHARIO academy , B&W 8xx and TANNOY (KINGDOM series). I am buying ATC scm19 to match my Accuphase, possibly something to be laughed at by my local audiophile friends. But so what, I like experiments and challenges. The after-discount prices for ACCUPHASE from official dealers in China are: E460- 4.3K pounds A35-3.3K pounds C2420- 5.8K pounds How expensive are they in the UK?

Hi,

Thanks for response.

Sounds like you've been on a very enjoyable high end journey!

Unfortunately, the prices in the UK, certainly for the E460, are nearly double the price in China! which will prove a prohibitive factor in me following a similar path. Nevertheless, I couldn't be happier with the E350 and can't imagine wanted to change any time soon.

I used to have ATC SCM40's with my Sugden Masterclass... at first I loved them, but after just a few months, sadly I ended up loathing them. With some music i.e electronic they were amazing, but with the kind of music I mainly listen to- acoustic/jazz, they were far too dry.

Yes, I've heard Focal are supposed to be a great match with Accuphase.

Harbeth speakers are very popular in other parts of the far east, particularly Singapore and Thailand. Some models are supposed to be similar to Spendor.

Let us know your thoughts on the 19's when you get them.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Hi Mac, great to hear that the Accuphase is what you're looking for and welcome to the club! :dance: I believe over on the HUG there is a thread about how well Accuphase matches with Harbeth but I've sworn off that forum so I haven't read it for myself. Besides I already knew how good the pairing is....Anyway, glad that it all worked out - congrats and enjoy! :cheers:

Cheers Singslinger and thanks for all your guidance on PFM.

As a matter of interest, which do you prefer between your IA-4 and the E560?

Mac

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Singslinger said:
Hi Mac, great to hear that the Accuphase is what you're looking for and welcome to the club! :dance: I believe over on the HUG there is a thread about how well Accuphase matches with Harbeth but I've sworn off that forum so I haven't read it for myself. Besides I already knew how good the pairing is....Anyway, glad that it all worked out - congrats and enjoy! :cheers:

Cheers Singslinger and thanks for all your guidance on PFM.

As a matter of interest, which do you prefer between your IA-4 and the E560?

Mac

My pleasure Mac, glad it worked out well.

Good though the Sugden is, the E-560 is better at driving my K6s - like how you described the AMS 35i to be, there's more of everything. The overall picture is fuller and more rounded. At lower levels though, there's little between them - as you know, the Sugden is no slouch!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
evil.png

Mac

Hi Mac

I did indeed. Its a great amp and built like a tank! I did change to the Croft set up. Some might think i am mad but i just preferred the sound especially with vinyl. Running the Luxman was like having a 2 bar electric fire on in the front room and used to draw a lot of current. To be honest i will probably end up with a full valve set up eventually when my boys are older. I have been following CJ's latest threads with great interest!

Mac i am so pleased for you regarding the Accuphase. Great stuff!! Like you say if you can really enjoy your music at home then all is well in the world!

Cheers, Ed

Thank you Ed.

At the end of the day, if it sounds better there's no better reason for a change.

That was a major factor for me changing the Sugden... it got pretty warm which is fine in the winter, but in the Summer, especially in a relatively small room, it was quite uncomfortable, that plus the current it draws and I know now it wasn't controlling the Harbeths well enough.

I did consider going down the valve route, but for me in my position, I don't think it would be a practical solution.

If you do ever get a chance to hear an Accuphase, I urge you to take the opportunity.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Mac, that's brilliant......I was hoping that would be the case.

Do you still have the Cardas GR p/c, and have you tried it on the E350?

Cno,

I've seen a Cardas Clear power chord at a reduced price... would you expect it to be a significant improvement on the GR?

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:

Cno,

I've seen a Cardas Clear power chord at a reduced price... would you expect it to be a significant improvement on the GR?

Mac

If I had to guess, i would expect it would be similar (possibly a bit better), but maybe a little less "Golden" sounding. Can you demo it?.........I'd love to know what you think of it.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:

Cno,

Mac

If I had to guess, i would expect it would be similar (possibly a bit better), but maybe a little less "Golden" sounding. Can you demo it?.........I'd love to know what you think of it.

At a guess, I think not... this Company doesn't tend to allow home demo on used/ex-demo gear... can but ask though.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
At a guess, I think not... this Company doesn't tend to allow home demo on used/ex-demo gear... can but ask though.

Mac

Tell them that you've had the GR on home dem, and if it's even better, you'll very likely be keeping it.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just read back through this thread and several times I mention how I would be keeping the E350 for many years to come.

However, the bug has bitten me. After trying the Devialet D200 and ultimately not enjoying it as much as the Accuphase, I've decided to do something I haven't done for a long time and thats buy a brand new amp.

Fanthorps are doing me a very good part ex for a E470..

http://www.accuphase.com/model/e-470.html

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Funnily, I would not change for a newer accuphase. The 50 series where good and sturdy little accus. I would rather go for a E-450, to be sure to stay with something good and reliable. After that came a succession of little bugs and problems that striked over and over again nearly in every country. Not straight mounted vu meters, un-explained hum issues. Add to that, that the actual internal designs are more difficult to repair than the older ones. And add to that, that, especially in Europe, a great amount of past 50 amps are equipped with an aditionnal standby box. The design of that is lousy and sometimes generate hum or don't work properly and put the amp in standby mode when listening to music (reported to me by several accuphase dealers). You will find all informations about that on the german "hifi-forum.de". But, if working properly, the E-470 is a fine amp.

Greetings from a C-2110 user.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts