Acceptable level of hiss?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've had my Sony STR-DH800 for a couple of weeks now, and am increasingly aware of hiss at high volumes. I realise that you will never get rid of it, but what is an acceptable level?

With the amp set to 'Analog Direct' there is no hiss. But when I switch to the optical connection to my SkyHD box, pause Sky and wind up the volume, the hiss is noticeable at around a volume of '30' which is the level I would use for watching a film.

I'm assuming therefore that the hiss is due to the sound processing. Have I got a dodgy unit, or is this just normal?

Many thanks

Mat

A

Anonymous

That doesn't sound right to me - I don't see why it should hiss, just 'cos it's got the optical connection.....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
applehead1970:But when I switch to the optical connection to my SkyHD box, pause Sky and wind up the volume, the hiss is noticeable at around a volume of '30' which is the level I would use for watching a film.

I'm assuming therefore that the hiss is due to the sound processing.

Or of course possibly the Sky box...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your responses. I get the same hiss on other inputs, so I don't think its the Sky box.

Do you think using banana plugs or bi-wiring would help?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Depends if it is in fact a hiss.........if you put your ear up to the rear speakers and you get a squelching sound, this could just be the inserted pieces of data that you get with artificial 5.1 when the original is in stereo. The fact that it goes away in pure mode does strongly point towards this

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
And again it could be interference from another piece of equipment located nearby. Only way to find out is disconnect and turn off everything except the speakers, then listen again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts