Abrahamsen V2 Amp

Lupa73

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
A very big thank you to Colin North at IQ Speakers for persuading me to buy the Abrahamsen V2 amp. It is amazing - and, for the money, an extraordinary sound: so clear, detailed, and agile. I am very happy. Had a few problems with a loose connector board, but Colin helped me sort that our over the phone. Am saving up my pennies to buy the Abrahamsen Balanced CD player....

Thanks again - my PMC Twenty 23s sound amazing. It is difficult to work up the motivation to leave the house some days...!

Serife

dap33

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
lupa73 what music do you listen, i myself have been looking at the abrahamsen amp as a possible purchase. As well as some PMC 22 speakers. You say agile I'm wondering how they will handle drum n bass, hip hop music as well as rock music and all other genres.

dap33

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
lupa73 what music do you listen to, i myself have been looking at the abrahamsen amp as a possible purchase. As well as some PMC 22 speakers. You say agile I'm wondering how they will handle drum n bass, hip hop music as well as rock music and all other genres.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
dap33 said:
lupa73 what music do you listen to, i myself have been looking at the abrahamsen amp as a possible purchase. As well as some PMC 22 speakers. You say agile I'm wondering how they will handle drum n bass, hip hop music as well as rock music and all other genres.

The beauty of superbly designed and engineered amps like the Abrahamsen and speakers like PMC is that they reproduce all types and styles of music equally well, what you put in you will get out with a minimum amount of disortion .

The Arahamsen has a massive amount of headroom and current delivery and your PMC's can take it ! *smile*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The old Norsk brand seems to be proned to quality control issues. Perhaps that's why they are so cheap.

This is just an observtion.

As far as I know the only minor problem experienced is a connection than can work loose during delivery if it is handled very roughly or dropped from a great height by the courier, it is a very easy DIY fix apparently . *smile*

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It would suggest they could do more with their packaging though, particularly for international orders. I recall Colin saying as such for his first order.

Lupa73

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I listen to a fairly wide range, including some electronic with complex bass, eg Mice Parade, but nothing as heavy as drum and bass. I think the bass is fantastic - detailed and fast, but the PMCs are not in your face exciting....

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Congrats Lupa73 on buying into the Abrahamsen range.

Just a quick question did you purchase the V.20 or the V.20 UP Amp. to go with your PMC speakers.

P.S Enjoy, this is also a great looking Amp do you think.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
First of all Abrahamsen have found a solution to the little board coming away during rough transit so PP there are certainly no quality issues if you looked and felt one you should instantly recognize this they are superbly built way better than my old Leema which I still love.

Yes the packaging does leave a lot to be desired and in my opinion is not up to international shipping, I will be looking at solutions shortly before I ship onwards in the UK.

As to handeling drum and bass the V20UP has a huge PSU to control bass it starts and stops with huge precision. The standard V2.0 is not as good in this area then again nor is any other sub £1500 amp.

I have just had 2 customers drive from Yorkshire with there new Tannoy Precision 6.2 they were amazed they spent 3 hours with me this afternoon, it was the sheer dynamic ability that impressed them both so much, one had a Yaqin Valve amp, he siad it sounded more valve like ie natural, neautral and unfatiquing, but with huge control and dynamiqics. PS they prefered my S2TLK's as well, I have asked them to post there findings on here.

iQ Speakers said:
First of all Abrahamsen have found a solution to the little board coming away during rough transit so PP there are certainly no quality issues if you looked and felt one you should instantly recognize this they are superbly built way better than my old Leema which I still love.

Yes the packaging does leave a lot to be desired and in my opinion is not up to international shipping, I will be looking at solutions shortly before I ship onwards in the UK.

As to handeling drum and bass the V20UP has a huge PSU to control bass it starts and stops with huge precision. The standard V2.0 is not as good in this area then again nor is any other sub £1500 amp.

I have just had 2 customers drive from Yorkshire with there new Tannoy Precision 6.2 they were amazed they spent 3 hours with me this afternoon, it was the sheer dynamic ability that impressed them both so much, one had a Yaqin Valve amp, he siad it sounded more valve like ie natural, neautral and unfatiquing, but with huge control and dynamiqics. PS they prefered my S2TLK's as well, I have asked them to post there findings on here.

I wasn't referring to quality as in build. I'm talking about the few niggles... and there have been few.

I've had two issues with my headphone socket. Difference being is Leema collected from my house and delivered back FOC. I wouldn't expect this to happen from Norway. So the burden falls on your shoulders - one severe downside of buying from a relative unknown company.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
PP that's part of why I have UK rights to offer a better service to the customer. I drove 2 hours to replace an amp dropped by the courier. That's my job. I would not have this opportunity with Arcam etc. I'm a realist, leval headed and intelligent enough to spot a fantastic opportunity when it presents itself, the leval of interest and support I have received from members of this forum by email has been incredible from skilled individuals offering support and advise.

95% of customers taking a "leep of faith" end the demo wanting both the speakers and amps. The latest, this afternoon arrived both with brand new Tannoy Precision 6.2 I'd wager they will both be EBay soon.

iQ Speakers said:
PP that's part of why I have UK rights to offer a better service to the customer. I drove 2 hours to replace an amp dropped by the courier. That's my job. I would not have this opportunity with Arcam etc. I'm a realist, leval headed and intelligent enough to spot a fantastic opportunity when it presents itself, the leval of interest and support I have received from members of this forum by email has been incredible from skilled individuals offering support and advise.

95% of customers taking a "leep of faith" end the demo wanting both the speakers and amps. The latest, this afternoon arrived both with brand new Tannoy Precision 6.2 I'd wager they will both be EBay soon.

I know. Fully acknowledge that to build a small company up takes a lot of endeavour as well as initiative. I've been there and done it: For the first three years I sweated blood (almost), knocking my knackers out. Only over the last 18 months that my business has really taken shape.

So the point I was making was very pertinent. I also have a genuine interest in the CDPs we spoke about. No doubt your amp could save me a lot of dough against a Tucana....

There are genuine reasons why I wouldn't waste your time: Not enough inputs for my needs, and as they don't have a dedicated phono stage, what would happen to my record collection?

This is before even thinking about the sound quality. Although my Pulse may not be as adept as the Abrahamson, I've spent lots of time cultivating and shaping the exact sound I love.

Add that to the cracking TT phono input and line-levels and I have a cracking all-round package. Hence my reticence to change the status quo.

If I can help any small company I would but I can't make the jigsaw fit.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Serife

Glad you are still enjoying your amp though can not remember persuading you to buy it direct from Norway! *acute* I look forward to supplying the CD player though Abrahamsen only have 60 drives left as Phillips stopped producing mechanisms.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Quote : As to handeling drum and bass the V20UP has a huge PSU to control bass it starts and stops with huge precision. The standard V2.0 is not as good in this area then again nor is any other sub £1500 amp.

Have you heard a roksan k3 handle bass? I'm not saying if its better or worse than the abrahmsen, (I have yet to hear the Abe and I do expect it to have an upper hand in some areas over the roksan) but it is very good, and surely any claim such as the one you make has to be verifiable. So you have heard all sub £1500 modern amps?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have heard the K3 (500Va transformer) I was pointing out that the V2.0 does not handle bass and in turn timing as well as the UP version (1000Va transformer) If the V2.0 were sold in dealers the price would be around the £2-2.5K mark You are more than welcome to come and listen.

049_zpsuenpxy15.jpg

Copy of mail sent to me Lionel a reviewer over on HiFi Wigwam requesteda V2.0UP to review.

I haven't got too far in the writing of the review yet but I've certainly made enough notes and learnt the nature of the amp to finish the review without further need of audition. What do I think of it ? Honestly ? Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!! To me, at this price (£899), it is an absolute bargain. It did, as you promised it would, a marvelous job driving the PMC FB1+'s. I was close to coming back to ask how much for me to keep this unit but I also had a second hand Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300 integrated here on trial at the same time. The Tri-Vista is going to cost me £1400 and it is nowhere near twice as good as the Abrahamsen. It is, however, slightly better and I'm willing to pay for that extra small degree of quality.
I will keep working on the review and get it posted as soon as possible. Would you like a draft copy for review before it goes live ?
I've been over to the North West Hi-fi Show today (Sunday) at Cranage Hall and I can assure you I have been telling all who would listen how good the amp is ! I certainly wish you every success with the product as it deserves to be a great success. I would love to keep in touch to hear how you are doing with sales and should the opportunity to do another review for you arise, then please don't hesitate.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough then, its good you can substantiate your claims. I understand the size of the transformer may be the main factor for bass control, but surely circuitry design and other components play a part too? I may well have a look at a v2up soonish with a fellow forumite, but I am apprehensive about walking away from it with the feeling of wanting to upgrade....again, which is not an option currently!

radiorog said:
Quote : As to handeling drum and bass the V20UP has a huge PSU to control bass it starts and stops with huge precision. The standard V2.0 is not as good in this area then again nor is any other sub £1500 amp.

Have you heard a roksan k3 handle bass? I'm not saying if its better or worse than the abrahmsen, (I have yet to hear the Abe and I do expect it to have an upper hand in some areas over the roksan) but it is very good, and surely any claim such as the one you make has to be verifiable. So you have heard all sub £1500 modern amps?

You have to bear in mind that one size doesn't fit all. By that I mean just because a amp might be technically better than another, it doesn't necessarily pan out it'll suit your tastes.

Mr. B is correctly proud to promote his bundles - good on him. But I won't predict his or any other brand without hearing it first hand in my own living room. Asking questions is another matter altogether.

I have compared my Pulse to the Kandy LIII and K2, and although both Roksans are very good, my amp brings the music to life... that won't suit all, either. How the K3 stacks up to my amp, I couldn't say.

Hi-fi is a peculiar hobby: There is always a compromise somewhere down the line. Like fox hunting, the chase is almost invariarbly more stimulating than the kill.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
Fair enough then, its good you can substantiate your claims. I understand the size of the transformer may be the main factor for bass control, but surely circuitry design and other components play a part too? I may well have a look at a v2up soonish with a fellow forumite, but I am apprehensive about walking away from it with the feeling of wanting to upgrade....again, which is not an option currently!
Sorry combination of long weekend building speakers, 3 hour demo and a few cans of beer and a huge dollop od passion sounding like Ashley. Components do yes but Per Abrahamsen designed Electrompanient. Mind you an upgrade that sosts less! You are both more than welcome even if its just for a listen. Anyway today I have to clear the garden ready for the arrival of the log cabin if the truck gets past the Channel!

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Interested to hear these reviews of the Tannoy Precision 6.2 vs your speakers, Colin. I have recently got hold of some 6.2s, at a great price from Richer Sounds. They are, in my opinion, a great match for my Abrahamsen.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Interested to hear these reviews of the Tannoy Precision 6.2 vs your speakers, Colin. I have recently got hold of some 6.2s, at a great price from Richer Sounds. They are, in my opinion, a great match for my Abrahamsen.
The two chaps were Polish both just bought them, they talked in Polish for 30 mins then turned and said we prefer your S2's. Wilro I'm building these ones for a customer who bought Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 who came for an amp and then asked for a home demo and then bought a pair. They are £2.5K. The Tannoys were good, and the finish excellent an area I need to improve but we are getting much better. My new workshop arrive tomorrow and this will help enormously. Think of them as the Abrahamsen of speakers. The looks are not to everybodies taste though. Nearly finished them both just the grilles badges cleaning polishing etc. PS I have asked them to leave there findings but they are not registered wheather they will time will tell.

003_zpsbxtzcsea.jpg
005_zpshln0iuo8.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts