About to start building my first serious hi fi

Jimmy_b81

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
So I grew up in a house with a dad who is a huge audio lover and has an amazing system that he has built up over 40 years. Now I have got to the stage in my life where I have the money to make my passion for great sounding music a reality at home. My first stop is of course the speakers. I want as much quality as I can for my money both in sound, aesthetics and build. I am looking to spend around $2000-$3000 Aud, (£1000 - £1600 but can spend more if the right speakers are worth the extra money. I have narrowed my search to either the kef q900 or the B & W 683 s2. Which should I go with or is there something better in that price range? I listen to all kinds of music and my lounge isn't massive but I want something that will be able to move with me as I move into larger homes.

Becky_Roberts

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Jimmy_b81

Welcome to the world of hi-fi!

You've got a great budget for speakers, and if you're set on floorstanders there's more than a few options. If you can accommodate the B&W 683 S2s in your current living space (they are rather big!), then, from what we've heard, they are our first choice: insightful, subtle and and powerful - and with the scale and size of sound to fill the largest of living rooms. We think they are the best floorstanders around for that price.

Admittedly, haven't heard the KEFs, though other speakers worth demo-ing (if you can) would be Q Acoustics Concept 40s - nicely built with an authoritive, subtle and dynamic sound. They aren't quite as transparent as S2s in absolute terms, but are better integrated.

I assume you don't have an amp/source yet? Don't forget to think carefully about system matching...

Becky
Staff Writer, What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision

Jimmy_b81

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
So it turns out I have the best in laws ever. I have wanted to start building a proper system for years but always packed the funds to do so but my inlaws shave very kindly just given me a system that they never used. They have just given me a pair of barely used Acoustic energy AE2s and a Miller and Kreisel mx 70b sub and to power the speakers they have also given me a Denon Poa 2400 power amp and Denon Pra 1200 pre amp aling with a Denon dsd 910 CD player and Denon Tu 550 tuner. This system might all be from the 90s but it's in mint condition and I couldn't be happier.

TRENDING THREADS