About the AV Recievers Group Test

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As noted in other topics on here, an excellent review indeed but I'm left wondering why that particular Yamaha model was included and not the higher spec DSP-AX763, which can do HD audio.

The prices quoted for the Denon and Onkyo are about right going by internet prices, however the Yamaha can be found for less than £300. I would have thought the Yamaha featured is more in the way of competition for the Sony STR-DG820

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That was Yamaha's choice - both model and the price printed (which is the price in most bricks-and-mortar retailers where you can get a demo).

We hope to get more Yamaha models shortly (we've done the awesome DSP-Z11 already)....

A

Anonymous

On another note, it says in the intro the group test, "Until new models from Pioneer and Sony hit the High Street, this trio will seek to carve up the £400 sector." Whilst I think I'd be right in saying the Sony model in question is the DA2400ES, what's the name of Pioneer's offering?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Lewis201:Ah I see, if it was Yamaha's choice fair enough then.
Agreed. Having heard how much better the 763 is than the 606, I think that may have came out on top in terms of sound quality. Shame.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Lewis201:On another note, it says in the intro the group test, "Until new models from Pioneer and Sony hit the High Street, this trio will seek to carve up the £400 sector." Whilst I think I'd be right in saying the Sony model in question is the DA2400ES, what's the name of Pioneer's offering?

Info on Pioneer's receivers here

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Lewis201:Ah I see, if it was Yamaha's choice fair enough then.
Agreed. Having heard how much better the 763 is than the 606, I think that may have came out on top in terms of sound quality. Shame.

Clearly Yamaha weren't so confident !

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Lewis201:On another note, it says in the intro the group test, "Until new models from Pioneer and Sony hit the High Street, this trio will seek to carve up the £400 sector." Whilst I think I'd be right in saying the Sony model in question is the DA2400ES, what's the name of Pioneer's offering?

Info on Pioneer's receivers here

I've just had a look at that link Clare and the entry level model, Pioneer VSX-1018, which in the article suggests will retail at below £400, I can't find it for less than £600 anywhere! Did I read that wrong? In any case, the fact that it doesn't upscale, that seems a lot of money.

TRENDING THREADS