About Nad 316 bee

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

This is the first time I write, altough I've been following the stereo topics for years. This year I plan to buy my first stereo amp and speakers. At the moment, I got Genius 1250X speakers and an ASUS soundcard. For the ridiculously small price they sound fantastic, however I can feel that this setup can not deliver all the details and the sound is lacking the weight and wide range I would prefer. Today I heared the AKG Y50 and I think I'm looking for a quite similar sound. I listened tons of sound tests on youtube (I know I know...), and I have found the Nad 316 to be a nice one and in my country a cheap one too. For the speakers I would spend more. I played on tuba, so I really like to hear the details of bass, but I don't want that the quantity overhelmes the rest of the sound. In my mind I got the following speakers: Dali Zensor 3 / 5, Monitor Audio Bx2 (if it is very good, then maybe Silver 2) Dynaudio dm 2/7, and perhaps even the Focal Aria 906. Unfortunately, I can not test all of them. So I would appreciate all the ideas, opinions.

I do not want active speakers.

Oh, and I am not a native speaker, so sorry for my english.
regular_smile.gif

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The Nad 316 bee is pretty good for the money with forward,forcefull sound and great bass for it´s specs.It would go well either with the Dali Z3 and MA Bx2.I don´t think it´s good enough for the RX2,yes it would result in better sound but imo not near as it could be with a better amp so imo not worth to step up.Have not heard with the dyns.With Aria 906 loose bass and too much treble(for my ears) but great scale.

The sound would be different between the Dali and the MA but both enjoyable and up to your taste,the MA to be brighter/sharper and more holographic and the Dali more strong , bassy and easier on the ears on long term.I would probably part with the Zensor 3.Hope it helps.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi kukulec, welcome to the forum :)

I have heard the nad326 with my dm2/7 and it sounded fantastic. You wouldn't be disappointed with this combo. I have not heard the 316 but would advise a bit more power if you were considering the 2/7's maybe.

I expect the DM 2/6 at 6ohm instead of the 2/7 at 4ohm would be suited well to the 316. If you wanted a slightly bigger sound, then the 326 with the 2/7.

As for other speakers, I can't help you there as I've not heard too many. Good luck!

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, I was thinking about the 326, but I can not see the reason to pay one-third more, when the output is so marginal. However when I check the Dynaudios, I will try it. If I can hear (I am not an audiophile) a real difference then naturally I take it in consideration. What is your experience with the 2/7? How far I should sit from them to hear their true perfomance?

(Anyway, I was looking for Rega Brio too, but I could not find any dealer.)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
The brio r and the 326 were VERY similar in sound when only listening for an hour or so. I had to swap these amps over 5 or 6 times over an hour or more to decide which one to choose. The brio r is slightly more transparent I think and that is what I went for, but the 326 had slightly more bass. It was very hard to tell the two apart tho on a short listen.

I only recommend the 326 over the 316 from what I have heard from other people. I have heard a few (1 or 2) criticisms about the 316, but have heard nothing but praise for the 326. I have heard some people prefer the sound of the 326 as opposed to the bigger 356.

The 2/7's are excellent speakers. I cannot fault mine. They are fast and agile. They sound full bodied and natural. And the bass is excellent.

I listen to mine at close quarters....about 2metres away! I know this isn'tideal, but they still sound excellent. So you don't need to be too far away if you don't want to. In a larger room you can crank up the volume and the sound fantastic. The bass really thrives with a bit power. When I was auditioning, a delivery driver came into the room and he thought there was a sub bass unit attached, but there wasn't. (Of course the sound is not exactly sub bass, but they go low and go low well for the size and money).

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Regarding a floor stander,I probably depends on the size of your room. I would only have a floor stander in a big room as there seem to be very good standmoubt speakers around that can produce very good bass, such as the DM 2/7's. As far as I know, I think you gave to pay more for a floor stander than its standmount equal counterpart. And you are paying for the cabinet materials and nothing more. (As far as I know). So I think you would get a better sound quality from a bookshelf than a similarly priced floor stander. But, if in a big room, you would often need a floor stander to produce that extra bass weight

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
kukulec said:
Thank you, I was thinking about the 326, but I can not see the reason to pay one-third more, when the output is so marginal. However when I check the Dynaudios, I will try it. If I can hear (I am not an audiophile) a real difference then naturally I take it in consideration. What is your experience with the 2/7? How far I should sit from them to hear their true perfomance?

(Anyway, I was looking for Rega Brio too, but I could not find any dealer.)

There is a little more to the 326 than a slight increase in output power. The 326 is a much more flexable amplifier. It has pre outs to allow for connecting a power amp to facilitate biamping or increasing power in the future. It also has 2 dedictaed subwoofer outputs and improved internal circuitry and components over the 316.

The 326 has lower distortion as well as more power. Plus a nice little bonus is that the tone defeat can be switched on or off with the remote on the 326. It also has an extra 7th line input which the 316 lacks.

I actually think the 1/3 price increase is well worth it, for a better quality more flexable component. I do own a 326BEE by the way, it's a very good sounding amp. I use it almost every day with 6 different sources and I really rate it. Very clean well balanced sound, always plenty of power on hand.

It doesn't matter if I'm watching a film, listening to music or playing on the PS3 my C326BEE provides the audio for everything I use. That gives you an idea on how much I use it and how familiar I am with it.

I would only consider the 316 if you really cannot afford the 326. Everything about the 326 is better apart from the price, but I do believe that it's worth the increase.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
kukulec said:
Thank you, it helps! You would not advise to give a chance to a floorstander?

Yes you could also try some floorstands of course,they are usually more efficient anyway.It depends on your room and needs which type will give you the best result.Considering the outlay for stands (if you need some) price between standmount and floorstand could be nearly similar.Dali Connect stands are pretty cheap and sufficient though.

You could also try Zensor 1 if they are sufficient for your room and needs and maybe get away without buying stands as they are a lot smaller and easier to place as the other ones mentioned.

Also think the NAD 326 Bee is worth the step up over 316 Bee for little more money 1/3.Maybe as ex-demo even cheaper than a new 316.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I agree with most of the posts here. Last week I heard the NAD 316 and then the 326. The 326 was a better sounding amp. Not just more powerful, it had a more sophisticated sound with a deeper soundstage. It's worth the modest price difference. Also, we were testing out the brand new Magneplaner .7 speakers with those two amps. Not an easy 87db 4 ohm load, but both amps were able to drive them to average levels just fine. By the way, even with two modest NAD integrated amps those speakers sounded incredible!

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I can only recount my own experience of the NAD 316. Bought one a couple of years ago. It sounded great during the shop demo. It sounded fine when I got it home, but gradually as it ran in over the first few weeks the sound got duller and duller and ended up sounding flat and muddy. I had to crank the treble up to get any sort of decent 'top end'. To this day, I'm not sure if my unit had a fault (instinctively, I don't think so -- the change in sound was gradual and it worked fine apart from that) or whether the NAD 316 is just way too mellow und lacking top end sparkle for my tastes. The whole experience left me generally bemused...

...I ended up flogging it on Ebay and buying an end-of-line Arcam A18 from Richer. The little NAD had a really good, punchy bass, but that top end -- oh, dear!

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Well, I start to think that it won't be an easy choice. I can easily skip the Nad 316, but if I spend more on amp there is also Marantz pm 600X, and the new Yamaha as-3/501. Radiorog, the dm 2/7 became very appealing :) (I also like the fact, that it is made in Europe, even if this is only a sentimental question.) My room size is 24 sqm, but I will sit near to them, rarely listen anything loudly. Esra, I'm almost sure without listening, that the Zensor 1 is too thin fo me. Happy_Listener, unhalfbricking, message understood, 316 eliminated. Now I should rename the topic to what? :*biggrin*

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm no great expert on hi-fi and my experience of all the different makes and models is quite limited. However, my one regret is not having at least demo-ed the Marantz 6005PM amplifier (or 6004PM as it was two years ago). It seems to be the default, 'go to' budget amplifier. If you're looking to spend at roughly the same price point as the NAD 316, the Marantz should really be at or near the top of your list to audition. I wish I had -- it might have saved me a lot of bother. I just didn't like its looks, but admit that isn't a great reason not to buy a particular make of hi-fi. Add to that the fact that the 6005PM is being discounted at the moment, certainly in the UK, so all the more reason to consider it.

As far as speakers are concerned, I've never heard a bad thing about the Dynaudio 2/6 or 2/7 and they are on offer at the moment. They are generally reduced by £100 here in the UK. My KEF Q-300s are great speakers -- very dynamic with great bass and excellent soundstage, and would recommend. They are also on offer at the moment.

Hope this helps.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Today I was listening during 3 hours all type of amplifiers and speakers in a hifi shop. For all of those who are just as new in this hobby as I do, please let me share my experience.

Room: square type, around 20 sqm.

Tracks:

Bach – Cello G Major

Back – D-Moll – Fuge (on this music we could immadiately reveal any differences)

Cult – Revolution

Dire Straits – Your Latest Trick

Duke Ellington – Black and Tan Fantasy

Enya – Aniron

Enya – Only Tmie

Giorgio Moroder – Love Them (Flashdance)

Jean-Michel Jarre – Immortals

Lorde – Royals

Maclamore – Thrift Shop

Metallica – Enter Sandman

Moby – Porcelain

Queen – Innuendo (omg, it is a pure joy to listen it on a proper system, I have never heard it before like that)

NAD 316 – Pioneer A30 – Cambridge Audio Azur 351A on ELAC FS 247.3

We started with the Pioneer A30. So energetic, nice balance, tons of details, great bass. I could not really believe that this amp is around 200 pounds. Next it was 316. I waited it so much as I read great reviews, and my original plan was to get something from Nad and pair it with a good bookshelf speaker (most possibly Dynaudio). Now, maybe it was due to the wrong pairing, but one of my first hifi disappontments. A little bit dull, suddenly every notes were faiding, the music was not really present. The difference was so big on Bach – D-moll fuge, that after 3 tracks we eliminated this amp. The seller then suggested to also try the Cambridge. It was really nice, particulary in highs it had more details than the Pioneer, but felt unimpressed, as a whole it could not produce the energetic presentation of the Pioneer. In this case however it was really a question of taste, not that the amp was good or bad. So I chose the A30, and later we continued the listening with this amplifier. Now, as the price of the FS 247.3 is out of my range, first I wanted to listen a standmount speaker.

Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 - 2.0 – Elac FS 147

Well I guess after a great standing speaker every other standmount speaker would have difficulties. Both Sonus are beautifully made. Then you start to listen them, and ask yourself whether it would be a good buy. The air is not filled with music. They have a nice presentation but even the 2.0 misses the bass and low mid details. I know they were rather made for classical music, but Maclamore – Thrift Shop was so „small”, compressed (not the sound quality - wav) or whatever, and without the low octaves. On classical music the instruments sounded round and organic, but the wheight was missing from both Sonus. I was at the edge of leaving the shop, when I asked if there is any affordable (for me) floorstander. We ended up with the FS 147 which received 4 stars here. Now, with my bad ears, I think it is 95% of the FS 247.3 with a third price tag. My friend and me were stunned. Here is what What Hi-Fi says „These ELACs have a clear sense of purpose – and that’s fun. The FS 147s certainly aren’t for those who want to sit and analyse every part of a record.” The first part is true. The second is so-so. Everything was so clear, the voices were like real humans, the organ was around us. The bass came back after the two Sonus. I asked the price and could not believe it. As a result I will buy Pioneer A30 with Elac FS 147.

At the end I had the opportunity to listen these speakers with Primare i32, then Primare with ELAC FS 249.2. Interestingly, the difference between the two amps were not that significant for me. Naturally the bigger speaker is in a completely other league fom the FS 147. The most obvious difference was the huge space and the precise presentation of the musicians. So now I see the goal in the future. *biggrin*

At the end, few subjective remarks:

A 3 hours of listening session worth more than 3 years of reading what hi-fi and its forum.

No, Dali Zensor range is not that great, although previously I have only found great reviews. I could hear them all and Lektor 2 too.

Denon PMA-520/720, Marantz MCR-511/611 – good ones, but try them, because it might be too relaxed for you.

Reviews: it is really just a starting point, but now I see why some of you have mentioned that they are not that important.

Amplifiers make difference. Speakers make huge difference. (With cables I have no experience *biggrin*)

Really listen every items side-by-side, so you can hear which product you prefer.

And at the end, huge thanks for all of the supportive forum members, especially those who promote the importance of personal listening tests!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts