A warm sounding interconnect.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a budget of around 150 pound's for a new interconnect, i want a warm sounding lead, i would also like to upgrade my speaker cable, my system is very up front and punchy, somtime's a little to hard, would a change of cables help or have i made a big mistake matching my kef's with my roksan amp? :(

matthewpiano

I would suggest trying to borrow some Chord ChameleonPlus from your dealer to see how that works. I've found it to be an excellent interconnect. More bass warmth than my Atlas Equator II or my Chord CrimsonPlus but loads of detail and good rhythmic performance without ever veering into brightness.

See if you can also trial some matching speaker cable. I find Chord Rumour 2 works very well. It is silver cable but the teflon coating stops it from being bright and it helps to maintain a very balanced sound in my experience, although I've obviously not tried it with your equipment, and I'm sure the guys from Frank Harvey and Musicraft will be able to give you excellent advice.

A

Anonymous

Thankyou matthew, i will try to find a dealer near me who stock's chord cable's, if i cant find a dealer then i will have to buy on opinion rather than listening with my ear's.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest trying some Audioquest cables. Always found them detailed but not harsh, giving a full bodied sound, both IC's and Speaker cables. They do match well.

The Columbia IC i am using is fantastic IMO, but for your budget the King Cobra IC would be excellent, i used this before upgrading.

Just my suggestion, but worth a demo if you can find a dealer to lend you some.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is a very good i/c.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Silver-Interconnects-120cm-Krescendo-HiFi-/110765938657?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item19ca2a17e1

Linn use it for their Klimax gear.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
This is a very good i/c. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Silver-Interconnects-120cm-Krescendo-HiFi-/110765938657?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item19ca2a17e1 Linn use it for their Klimax gear.

£130 plus £30 delivery = £160 is someone having a laugh.:O

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
slewis said:
CnoEvil said:
This is a very good i/c. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Silver-Interconnects-120cm-Krescendo-HiFi-/110765938657?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item19ca2a17e1 Linn use it for their Klimax gear.

Your right. They often do free or cheap post, so didn't check.

@Jim These have sensible postage:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Analogue-Interconnect-1M-Preowned-/190590724481?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2c6017a981 If genuine, they should be 1.2m, so this needs to be checked if interested.

EDIT. On closer inspection, the above i/c is not a genuine factory "silver"...probably made up at a dealer....so avoid.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Jimm--I don't know the Roksan/Kef combo, but what happened to the idea of upgrading the V-DAC's power supply? I reckon that would give a less harsh sound. I'm not a cable skeptic, but surely £150 on components will get you more value than the same spent on cables?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
garyw77 said:
I would suggest trying some Audioquest cables. Always found them detailed but not harsh, giving a full bodied sound, both IC's and Speaker cables. They do match well.

The Columbia IC i am using is fantastic IMO, but for your budget the King Cobra IC would be excellent, i used this before upgrading.

Just my suggestion, but worth a demo if you can find a dealer to lend you some.

I also agree with this suggestion.

A

Anonymous

I am still going to buy the v-psu, the sound of my system isnt harsh, i just want to tame the attacking nature of my system a wee bit, it sound's great, the psu will be bought first, that might make a difference, if not, the cables might be an option.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
slewis said:
CnoEvil said:

Just read the listing and it looks like he forgot to change the postage from the Linn Klout mentioned in the description :doh:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mitch65 said:
slewis said:
CnoEvil said:

Just read the listing and it looks like he forgot to change the postage from the Linn Klout mentioned in the description :doh:

That makes more sense...at sensible postage (possibly free), its an OK price. They used to go for about £115, but in the current climate, prices are a little higher, as people turn to 2nd hand.

A

Anonymous

I am moving into a larger room today that has carpet, my current room is a hard wooden floor, does having carpet on a floor make any difference to sound?

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
jimm said:
I am moving into a larger room today that has carpet, my current room is a hard wooden floor, does having carpet on a floor make any difference to sound?

Yes, it very much did in my room - had moved into a new flat and before I bought a big rug, the sound was almost too "glaring" to listen to at times.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I'm sure the guys from Frank Harvey and Musicraft will be able to give you excellent advice.

Um, Rick from Musicraft always gives the same advice, time after time, to use the standard interconnect cable that comes with the equipment, or similar (and I am not speaking out of turn here, as someone with over 5000 posts you will be aware of this too). There is no point in asking him to advise on cables, since he has come to his own conclusion about their use and happily sticks to that. He may even be along in a minute.

A

Anonymous

Firstly let me catch my breath, been busy lugging equipment up stairs, everything is set up and my system sounds smoother and not so bright also the speakers have a bit more room to breath, its amazing how a simple bit of carpet can change the sound.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jimm said:
Firstly let me catch my breath, been busy lugging equipment up stairs, everything is set up and my system sounds smoother and not so bright also the speakers have a bit more room to breath, its amazing how a simple bit of carpet can change the sound.

Not only carpet, but curtains, judiciously placed tall potted plants, bookcases, tapestries/canvas paintings etc on walls, and soft furnishings.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
jimm said:

Was the rug a saving over your proposed cable purchase? ... btw I've seen some Persian rugs at over £6K ... are they appreciably better than a bit of s--gpile? ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts