A/V Equivalent of Sonos + DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With Hi-Fi it is a (possibly) superior option (let's not get into a discussion about this though) to rip CDs to lossless on a PC and connect to a DAC or some sort of digital audio player, like a Sonos, into a DAC.

What would be the best option for video? There's all these high-end blu-ray players that have these wonderfully expensive components and, sure, they're great, but if I wanted to play an AVI or MKV file etc. it would be of no use to me. So what's the best way to play any downloaded/ripped a/v content. (I know there's the Popcorn Hour etc. but that couldn't compare to a 1000 pound Blu-ray player).

Thanks.

John Duncan

There's always kaleidascape if you have the odd twenty grand sitting around. But tbh, notwithstanding the fact that they don't do Blu Ray, a Mac Mini with as much attached storage as you can muster gives a pretty good A/V experience.

Course, copying movies to your hard disk (and CDs, btw) is illegal, even if you own them.

Lastly, in the same way that my Mac can go toe-to-toe with some pretty good CD players, I think you might be surprised by the quality Popcorn Hour et al can muster.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I love the idea of the Kaleidascape but alas I am not awash with funds. I'm thinking somewhere around the 1000 pound mark for a solution. I know the Popcorn Hour is pretty good but there must be a reason it doesn't cost several times more. What higher-end options are available? For that matter what makes one blu-ray transport (i.e. the HDMI only output section and circuitry) more expensive than another? Or is it the analogue parts that drive up the cost?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Beta4Me:
With Hi-Fi it is a (possibly) superior option (let's not get into a discussion about this though) to rip CDs to lossless on a PC and connect to a DAC or some sort of digital audio player, like a Sonos, into a DAC.

What would be the best option for video? There's all these high-end blu-ray players that have these wonderfully expensive components and, sure, they're great, but if I wanted to play an AVI or MKV file etc. it would be of no use to me. So what's the best way to play any downloaded/ripped a/v content. (I know there's the Popcorn Hour etc. but that couldn't compare to a 1000 pound Blu-ray player).

Thanks.

If you want real quality (sound and vision), you won't be able to touch a £200 BD player let alone a £1k one for ripped/downloaded content. MKV files look great but can be a bit bitty in parts. Getting HD audio from them is very difficult if not impossible - certainly by streaming.

The best way to do what you want is connect your computer directly to your receiver.

A

Anonymous

I'm looking at ISO rips of DVDs and BDs and MKV/AVIs of TV Shows (and the odd movie). So on that basis is a computer connected to a receiver still the best way to go? Compared to the HDX or Popcorn Hour (or another NMT)?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Beta4Me:I'm looking at ISO rips of DVDs and BDs and MKV/AVIs of TV Shows (and the odd movie). So on that basis is a computer connected to a receiver still the best way to go? Compared to the HDX or Popcorn Hour (or another NMT)?

Yep

A

Anonymous

Doesn't get more hi-fi than a computer
emotion-4.gif

Also there are a couple of different media players that do ISO rips. The PCH, HDX, Mediagate to name a few.

A

Anonymous

Apple's products in that area tend to cover the basics (emphasis on the "basics") but what they do actually do they do very well and are very easy-to-use and sleek. Unfortunately that leaves quite a few people out.

TRENDING THREADS