a/v amps vstereo amps

rock15

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
hi does anyone know of an a/v amp that has good music sound, i have a rotel ra 04 ,but i want a surround system as well thanks

A

Anonymous

i recall recently reading a few posts from people that own pioneer av receivers , saying that stereo music sounded very good through them..

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
rock15:hi does anyone know of an a/v amp that has good music sound, i have a rotel ra 04 ,but i want a surround system as well thanks

You would need to spend at least £1k to get close to your Rotel. I would go for Yamaha, Denon or Sony.

A

Anonymous

I really Dont like 5.1 music it sounds very processed, much better with stereo. The advantage of an av amp over stero amps IMO is convenience because in one box you have surround and stereo, with stereo amps you dont have that, at a musical advantage. depends mainly on priority. If it is Movies, Music or space.

I was part of the "Big Question" feature in the mag few months ago. Your amp was tested against the Denon 1910, Denon 2310 & Sony STR-DA5400ES which is worth £1400. The Rotel was better than all of them.

But if you have to change for convenience, the Denons performed really well. Also check the Yamahas.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
This is the biggest problem of AV receivers, they are not musical. It has been my greatest frustration, I moved from Onkyo to Denon, back to Onkyo and ended up in Arcam AVR280. The Arcam, Cambridge Audio and Marantz are supposed to be the most musical. In my case the Arcam was an improvement but I still do not think it is suited for music compared to a stereo amp. If i were you I would keep the Rotel and connect it to a low price receiver that has pre-outs. This way you can combine both.

rock15

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
hi thanks for the help stereo sound is more important to me so i may just get an av amp and decent speaker set up as i have brought a sony bdp v 300 all in one and am not as impressed as what fi fi where with it. my picture and sound on blue ray and dvd great everything else sounds muffled, i have a panny 46g15,sony bdp v300 blue ray system -rotel ra 04 cam audio 650 cd player -b&w 601s speakers and denon tl260 fm tuner and all good leads thanks

rock15:hi thanks for the help stereo sound is more important to me so i may just get an av amp and decent speaker set up as i have brought a sony bdp v 300 all in one and am not as impressed as what fi fi where with it

Of course you won't be impressed! All-in-ones are built at a certain price point & won't sound as good as separates. Besides, you're used to sound quality from a dedicated stereo amplifier which is far superior to the all-in-one.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
as has already been said - stereo from a dedicated stereo amp against stereo from an AV amp - no contest.

I've ended up with a stereo amp for music and an av amp just for home cinema after thoroughly researching and demoing myself.

ended up with a 2310 + Leema Pulse replacing my Arcam AVR300.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
brendonw:

as has already been said - stereo from a dedicated stereo amp against stereo from an AV amp - no contest.

I've ended up with a stereo amp for music and an av amp just for home cinema after thoroughly researching and demoing myself.

ended up with a 2310 + Leema Pulse replacing my Arcam AVR300.

Hello, did you find the Denon to be a big improvement over your previous Arcam? How about for music, how is the Denon compared with your old Arcam? Thanks, P.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
as I previously said. I am using the Denon solely for home cinema. So no idea how it sounds with music.

I tried a few different stereo amps Cyrus 6XP, NAIM Nait 5i and Leema Pulse. All were miles better than the Arcam for stereo.

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
brendonw:

as I previously said. I am using the Denon solely for home cinema. So no idea how it sounds with music.

I tried a few different stereo amps Cyrus 6XP, NAIM Nait 5i and Leema Pulse. All were miles better than the Arcam for stereo.

Thanks, we were wondering how the 2310 compares to your old AVR arcam for movies also. I agree the stereo side would be lacking.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Only watched a few movies so far so difficult to say......

HDMI connectivity, HD sound formats, auto-setup are all big pluses for me.

IF pushed I'd say it's as good as the Arcam or slightly better for movies. Time and tech moves on I guess and with that the prices tumble too.

rock15

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
hi thanks for your advice, i am a novice so could you explain, about pre outs on an a/v amp and how it would work ,many thanks rock

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts