A soundstage is like......

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Been thinking about this since my last visit here after an article by Andrew ref soundstage was linked in a thread I was in, for the life of me I can't remember which thread it was.....

Anyhoo, the question: is the illusion of a stereo soundstage subjective - is it like those pictures made up of dots or shapes with a 3d image in it, some can see the image as clear as day and some cannot (thats me and I'm not colour blind). Do some hear more 'stereo' than others. (one ear jokes please leave outside)

been thinking about this a week?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Anyhoo, the question: is the illusion of a stereo soundstage subjective - is it like those pictures made up of dots or shapes with a 3d image in it, some can see the image as clear as day and some cannot (thats me and I'm not colour blind). Do some hear more 'stereo' than others. (one ear jokes please leave outside)

been thinking about this a week?

There are things that can have a psychological affect on that soundstage that is being created. A large object can physically affect a central image. One example is furniture that is placed in between the speakers. Another one is the room boundary. Listening to a system in daylight or with lights on and your eyes open, the soundstage will be limited by the sight of the room, and be confined within those boundaries. In the dark, lights out, eyes closed etc, if you can 'forget' the room boundaries, it is very surprising how big a soundstage can sound - much larger than the room itself - if the system will allow that of course.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
is it like those pictures made up of dots or shapes with a 3d image in it, some can see the image as clear as day and some cannot (thats me and I'm not colour blind). Do some hear more 'stereo' than others.

Surely the answer to that is 'not really': if the recording has been made correcty to create a good stereo image, then (assuming one has the same hearing ability in both ears), a system of sufficient transparency set up to deliver the sound from each speaker to each ear correctly should reveal that quality in the recording.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
...Another one is the room boundary. Listening to a system in daylight or with lights on and your eyes open, the soundstage will be limited by the sight of the room, and be confined within those boundaries. In the dark, lights out, eyes closed etc, if you can 'forget' the room boundaries, it is very surprising how big a soundstage can sound - much larger than the room itself - if the system will allow that of course.

Interesting. I'll have to give that a try.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Virtual Barber's shop, fantastic even in low quality.
smiley-laughing.gif

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
That totally freaks me out. But while you're at it, try Madonna's 'Vogue' - that'll make your speakers disappear.

Too right it does, Infact the whole album the Immaculate Collection is incredibly produced. It's surprisingly one of the best sounding albums I've heard.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
John Duncan said:
That totally freaks me out. But while you're at it, try Madonna's 'Vogue' - that'll make your speakers disappear.

Too right it does, Infact the whole album the Immaculate Collection is incredibly produced. It's surprisingly one of the best sounding albums I've heard.

Bought this album Monday. Heard it before but only on basic systems.

It is a well recorded album. Good recommendation!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts