A sine wave sweep is useful for helping choose the right speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the word "distortion" is the wrong word to use here.

Saying "The relative phase of two drivers outputting sound at the same frequency" (as happens at the crossover) may be a better way of describing one of the problems that often occurs in speakers. When the tweeter and mid/woofer are out of phase with each other it doesn't sound right and spoils the sound IME.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
And of course all this is trivial compared to the stunning news that Taylor Swift has withdrawn all her music from Spotify.

noooo_zps26ede584.jpg

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
I didn't say it wouldn't be useful. As for "extremely", I'm not so sure. I find a familiar well recorded piece of classical piano is more useful for highlighting the issues you've talked about.

Maybe I'm just getting into the realm of semantics here :) but personally I do think that they're "extremely" useful for highlighting speaker issues which is why they're so commonly used by speaker designers when designing and assessing their speakers.

I agree that there's no substitute for well recorded audio tracks though. Pianos and the spoken voice are particularly useful for highlighting issues too.

matt49 said:
The reason I responded on this thread is that your OP made one mistake (re. phase distortion)...

Sorry. The relative phase of two drivers outputting sound at the same frequency. ;)

matt49 said:
...and left out one of the most important aspects of speaker performance (transient response).

Agreed. :)

matt49 said:
My responses and andyjm's have merely pointed out the error and the omission.

What's not to like?

Fair play.

Hifi forums eh? Don't you just love 'em? *drinks*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
I don't think anyone would argue that using a sine wave sweep when auditioning speakers would be utterly useless. It's just that it wouldn't be nearly as useful as your OP tried to claim.

I'm not sure why you don't think that a sine wave sweep would be extremely useful when auditioning speakers?

It's one of the commonly used tests that most speaker companies use to evaluate drivers and speakers. As well as highlighting the various issues already mentioned in this thread it's also useful for revealing any fuzzes, buzzes, resonances or other funny stuff which can easily be missed when listening to just music.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
steve_1979 said:
Hifi forums eh? Don't you just love 'em? *drinks*

And of course all this is trivial compared to the stunning news that Taylor Swift has withdrawn all her music from Spotify.

*bomb*

Who is Taylor Swift?

I guess I won't find out now he/she isn't on Spotify.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
Who is Taylor Swift?

"The Beatles m'lud? I am informed by our housekeeper that they are a popular four-man beat combo who have experienced recent success in the Hit Parade."

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
fr0g said:
Who is Taylor Swift?

"The Beatles m'lud? I am informed by our housekeeper that they are a popular four-man beat combo who have experienced recent success in the Hit Parade."

Now The Beatles, I know. And have access to an entire catalogue of. :)P

(btw, I was joking about Taylor Swift, she wrote "Gulliver's Travels" right?)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
chebby said:
fr0g said:
Who is Taylor Swift?

Now The Beatles, I know. And have access to an entire catalogue of. :)P

(btw, I was joking about Taylor Swift, she wrote "Gulliver's Travels" right?)
Yes she did.. *man_in_love* But is it about the music or about looks?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
A sine wave sweep is very useful in choosing loudspeakers, but only if all you're going to listen to when you get them home is sine wave sweeps.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
A sine wave sweep is very useful in choosing loudspeakers, but only if all you're going to listen to when you get them home is sine wave sweeps.
I dnt think your statement is the whole story. I will tell you why... When calibration of AV amps is done with test tones your dnt listen to test tones alone. You also listen to music & movies. Calibration is also used with two channels amp these days.
lightbulb.gif

TRENDING THREADS