a simple way to stream spotify and itunes wireles to my dac.

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Ive looked at the apple tv but this seems overkill as the laptop is in the same room so would want to control the menu from the laptop and not a tv, the squeezebox seems a bit expensive and again a bit overkill, the airport express looks like a good deal but it looks like it only has a 3.5mm jack but i would want to go optical into my dac... Also i would want to stream spotify aswell as itunes, would the airport express stream spotify aswell?

daveh75

The 3.5mm jack on Airport Express is a combined analogue/optical out - You just need an 3,5mm to toslink adapter and a standard optical cable...

You can stream non-Apple content to Apple products using third party software called Airfoil which costs $25.

T

the record spot

daveh75:
The 3.5mm jack on Airport Express is a combined analogue/optical out - You just need an 3,5mm to toslink adapter and a standard optical cable...

You can stream non-Apple content to Apple products using third party software called Airfoil which costs $25.

Seconded re: Airfoil, nifty little application and good VFM. Sometimes take a moment or two to pick up the right signal if you're going off the web, but other than that, impressive functionality given what you pay. Recommended.

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Same here,macbook-airport express-3.5jack/toslink cable-dac in amp.I play itunes,spotify and internet radio via airfoil.The ae and airfoil is money well spent.

John Duncan

Thirded or fourthed. USB is the obvious wired solution, airport express or apple tv plus airfoil for wireless. I'd choose apple tv because of it's video capabilities and modest extra cost over the AE, though it may not be anywhere near a screen for you to take full advantage.

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
At the mo im using a usb cable but its a bit annoying having it trailing across the lounge. Cheers guys, looks like the ae is the way to go and combine it with airfoil :)

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
As above, lots of choices via 3.5mm optical.

Apparently, USB has limitations on ultimate quality as in maxed out at bitrate if you download HD versions whereas optical is higher rated so that is the way I go.

I then have the choice of hardwiring my laptop or going wireless via Airport Express. Hard wiring seems the best choice but if I want to surf the web or edit photos while listening to music in the "sweet spot" then wireless is obvious choice.

That said, while I can hardwire my laptop to the TV & DAC for watching movies, I am thinking of upgrading to Apple TV purely for the convenience factor. For the difference in price if I was starting from scratch, I would go for TV over Airport Express.

Edit:- Airfoil? Must be just a fancy name for wireless as I am not aware of having it yet my set-up works fine

John Duncan

I got mine for about a fiver in Maplins.

Just to clarify DavieCee's point and question above - Airport Express only supports 16/44 (as did the old Apple TV, not so sure about the new one), so no real benefit over USB in terms of high-res content. Airfoil is software used to transmit to an Airport Express content that's not in iTunes - like BBC iPlayer or Spotify. Works a charm, costs about $25.

daveh75

simon3102000:Could anyone point me in the right direction of a descent 3.55-optical cable, i have had a poke around on the net but they seem to be rare. You need a 3.5mm minijack to toslink adapter like THIS for example, and a standard optical cable...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts