A rush of blood...

...almost cost me a packet. Earlier today, totally out of character, I almost picked up the phone and ordered some Totems, even though they are catagorically impractical. Fortunately the phone rang and threw me away from the scent. Phew, pleased for the telecom intervention.

Who else has suffered crazy holism when it comes to hi-fi or AV?

One good reason is can't really afford them at the moment. Only last week purchased the TV. Agree the Totems are gorgeous but the strange ball bearing configuration under the plinths, along with the dinky dimensions, makes them incredibly unstable. Okay if you have no young children or animals...

I suppose you could say I was 'saved by the bell'. :)

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I bought my first Leema amp (Tucana) at 2 am on a night shift in A&E. I was at the end of a set of busy nights and it was easy to convince myself to buy.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Funny you should mention it but I saw something today that made me do something I swore I'd never do. I signed up to eBay! Not top bidder at the moment (it's not hi-fi but it is music related) but there's still 9 days to go, so I'm going to see what happens over the next few days before bidding again.

T

the record spot

Ah several rushes of blood to the head over the years, most recently being the acquisition of the new stereo in the signature line below. The Denon was the latest, but a great find at that. Bought blind (as pe rthe Onkyo too come to think of it) and the setup blends beautifully. Very happy boy here!

VoodooDoctor said:
I bought my first Leema amp (Tucana) at 2 am on a night shift in A&E. I was at the end of a set of busy nights and it was easy to convince myself to buy.

Stress does some strange things to the old grey matter. I've been under the cosh over the past 3 months. Normally I buy stuff that my little family can benefit from, but the Totems would be pure self-indulgence.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I bought a Kindle on a whim today.

Have already downloaded a raft of free books from Amazon UK (free because they are out of copyright, no piracy here).

Reading David Copperfield for the last couple of hours.

I can now get rid of lots of yellowing, old Penguins (not you PP) and free up bookshelf space for some nice new books. (Never going to stop buying 'proper' books. The Kindle is for me to choose from the 2 million+ free books out there :) )

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, know the feeling well. Had it myself a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't have a phone call to distract me.

Saw a lovely mint pair of Focal Chorus 806v speakers with matching stands on offer for a really good price on another forum. I'd never heard a pair before, but knowing quite a few people have mentioned how good they were, I thought what the hell, and took a punt. Had them playing for a couple of days now and I'm not disappointed. I think they look great (as does my wife incidentally), but more importantly they sound tremendous. A very classy speaker.

A

Anonymous

Wow Chebby, shouldn't there be some kind of recognition for your 11,000th post.

From a personal point of view, thanks for the input and advice you gave me when I joined and was looking to buy a system.

matthewpiano

DIB said:
Yes, know the feeling well. Had it myself a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't have a phone call to distract me.

Saw a lovely mint pair of Focal Chorus 806v speakers with matching stands on offer for a really good price on another forum. I'd never heard a pair before, but knowing quite a few people have mentioned how good they were, I thought what the hell, and took a punt. Had them playing for a couple of days now and I'm not disappointed. I think they look great (as does my wife incidentally), but more importantly they sound tremendous. A very classy speaker.

Good buy. One of the best speakers I have heard under £1k. Really beautiful sound and, as you say, very classy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
SteveD said:
Wow Chebby, shouldn't there be some kind of recognition for your 11,000th post.

From a personal point of view, thanks for the input and advice you gave me when I joined and was looking to buy a system.

Thanks.

I never look at post counts.

Eleven thousand! That's actually quite bad if I think about it.

Maybe it's time to do something else.

A

Anonymous

i have a rush of blood to the head every time i see a half decsent sansui amp on ebay.i only have 2 now but was up to 5 with only 2 speaker sets :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Funny you should mention it but I saw something today that made me do something I swore I'd never do. I signed up to eBay! Not top bidder at the moment (it's not hi-fi but it is music related) but there's still 9 days to go, so I'm going to see what happens over the next few days before bidding again.

The best way is to hold off bidding at all, until the last ten or so seconds, any prior bidding just pushes up the price and can generate further unwanted interest. It's best not to give people time to consider a higher bid.

Good luck.

John Duncan

The_Lhc said:

There's so much more PWEI tat out there than I could have imagined...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
The_Lhc said:

There's so much more PWEI tat out there than I could have imagined...

Yeah but I've got most of that...

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
...almost cost me a packet. Earlier today, totally out of character, I almost picked up the phone and ordered some Totems, even though they are catagorically impractical. Fortunately the phone rang and threw me away from the scent. Phew, pleased for the telecom intervention.

Who else has suffered crazy holism when it comes to hi-fi or AV?

"Crazy holism"? Consumes me every day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts