A really hard question..

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
...if music is universal, please tell how do you cope with your partners in this field. An example - you're a HiFi lover. You love hard rock, some progressive stuff, metal from time to time - she, your wife, on the other hand - jazz, easy listening... *pardon*

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
There must be something you can both enjoy. Experiment a bit.

In our case the kids got us listening to some mutually acceptable gear. New Country and gawd knows what else.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mrs DDC is not terribly interested in recorded music, she plays pop radio when driving (alone) and some favourites when pottering around at home, but that is about it. The idea of sitting down in an evening and actually 'listening' to music is not going to happen.

Live music though is a completely different situation, be it opera at Covent Garden, chamber works in the Wigmore hall, Muse live at the O2 or a local jazz band in the pub on a thursday night, she loves it all.

And she knows when something is good or not so good, wierd uhh?

stereoman said:
...if music is universal, please tell how do you cope with your partners in this field. An example - you're a HiFi lover. You love hard rock, some progressive stuff, metal from time to time - she, your wife, on the other hand - jazz, easy listening... *pardon*
You like doggy, she likes missionary - just find a common ground :)

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
davidf said:
stereoman said:

thumbs_up.png

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davidf said:
stereoman said:

You thinking jazz?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I listen crazy **** on headphones or on my own, the rest is on most of the day..

my wife loves music, she’s recording vocalist and I like to take her to demos as she’s always spot on with her comments.

Samd

davidf said:
stereoman said:
You like doggy, she likes missionary - just find common ground :)

Would the village green do?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Mrs DDC is not terribly interested in recorded music, she plays pop radio when driving (alone) and some favourites when pottering around at home, but that is about it. The idea of sitting down in an evening and actually 'listening' to music is not going to happen.

I don't know ANY female that would do that.

My other half has 'music' playing in the background if she does something else.

Audiophiles are weird.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
davedotco said:

Audiophiles are weird.

Or did, but I agree it is pretty rare.

It is really the contrast of her love of live music with her disinterest for recorded music that is interesting.

The only time I can remember her really reacting to recorded music was at the Hard Rock in La Jolla. About 15yrs back I slipped the DJ $5 to play Hysteria, the then new single by her favourite band. The DJ guy was great, dimming the lights, Muse live on a big projection screen, volume cranked up, I had to physically restrain Mrs DDC from getting up and dancing on the table!

Best $5 ever spent!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
drummerman said:
davedotco said:

Audiophiles are weird.

Or did, but I agree it is pretty rare.

It is really the contrast of her love of live music with her disinterest for recorded music that is interesting.

The only time I can remember her really reacting to recorded music was at the Hard Rock in La Jolla. About 15yrs back I slipped the DJ $5 to play Hysteria, the then new single by her favourite band. The DJ guy was great, dimming the lights, Muse live on a big projection screen, volume cranked up, I had to physically restrain Mrs DDC from getting up and dancing on the table!

Best $5 ever spent!

:)

insider9

drummerman said:
davedotco said:

Audiophiles are weird.
Make from that what you will but mine was only once actually interested and that was when I had Hegel Rost on home demo. I think she has way better hearing she let's on.

As to OP... you don't have to have the same hobby or the same taste. Sometimes finding common ground isn't what's best. My lovely wife prefers other things to listening to music. I'm quite happy for her to do it and she doesn't interfere in my hobby either. We have things we do together but they're usually a different hobby altogether.

S

SemiChronic

While i was working away in the run up to xmas, my Mrs changed all my radio stations. Not the easiest thing to do on a cambridge without using the app.

Fortunately i like most of her picks, but im going to cancel spotify is she continues to snore.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Listen when she's out.

She likes musicals, 50s & 60s music, I like Rock (from Rammstein to Pink Floyd) there's no happy medium to be found.

She thinks the only difference between my set-up & her Pure beside radio/cd is that mine is louder, again no compromise there.

Luckily I work shifts so listen when she's at work, no problem :)

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a man cave / small box room where I listen to my music. My wife and I do watch the occasional music programme together but she does not really like my taste in music or is in to music that much to sit and listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts