A&R (Arcam) P77 stylus replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'd like to replace the stylus on my Revolver turntable;- it's fitted with an A&R P77 cartridge that I've failed thus far to find a new stylus for. Can anybody point me to a supplier of a replacement P77 or suggest a comparable replacement cartridge.

My system;- Revolver TT, Meridian 200 and 203 DAC, Linn Kan II speakers with Linn Pretek and two Powerteks.

Thanks in advance!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you really must have this cartridge (presumably because you love the sound) then jump on this one on ebay and don't let go.

I doubt you find anyone manufacturing replacement styli (Stylii? Styluses?) given that this cartridge has been out of production for about 25 years.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that!! I'll give it a bid up to sensible money but if bidding goes bananas I'll replace the cartidge. The current stylus has been on for 15 years and yes I do like the sound of it... It was a pukka piece of kit when I bought it with the turntable 25 years ago and I'm sure it can sound really great (instead of just good!) again.

Thanks again for your help.

A

Anonymous

The P77 on e-bay is already at silly money (currently £32) for something like this and I'm not going to put any more bids on it when I can probably get something as good or better. Any suggests for a suitable replacement cartridge for my Revolver turntable? - ideally under £60,

thanks again in advance for any suggestions.

A

Anonymous

That turntable deserves at least an ortofon 2m red. It's a decent spinner dude. Stop carping about £30 !
bit of motor noise but jeez , your talking hi fi quality there !

A

Anonymous

It's good but it's a 20 year old cartridge at the end of the day - bidding well over £130 now (don't know why...some crazy people out there). I realised when it was over £30 after a day that people were going to get carried away with the bidding and that it wouldn't be worth it.

I've done a bit of reading and coming round to thinking that the Ortofon 2m red would be a sensible buy at about £80... I'll seek one out and take it from there.

Thanks again to all contributions to my question.

A

Anonymous

Just a quick (interesting) update for all who have read and contributed to my thread. I've been fortunate that a chemist friend of mine (a real chemist, not a pharmacist) has access to a scanning electron microscope (SEM) and he examined the state of my stylus on the SEM for me at 400x magnification. From the amazing pics it was clear that apart from debris attached to the stylus and cantlilever that the stylus itself was in perfect condition even after15 years or so of use. He subsequently cleaned it with some magic cocktail of solvents and re-examined it on the SEM - and it is now as good as new! re-attaching it to the headshell and playing some records was a revelation.

Begs the question how much money perhaps we've all wasted over the years on replacement styli when a well thought through clean was all that was necessary...

Thanks again to all contributors.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've just sold my old P77 that came with my Systemdek, a 25 yr old cartridge, for £37.00.

I had about 20 watchers at one point, so there's clearly a market in these.

A

Anonymous

I'd love to find a source for a genuine P77 stylus. I'm currently using a Grado Gold (£120) but it's not

as good as my old P77. But the P77 is worn now (actually they both are, I have two). They were

over £90 new when I bought them in the late 80's and early 90s, the stylus itself was over £70 then.

But you really need to spend £200 or more to get significantly better IMHO. I have a new

Denon 103 ready to fit (I used to own one of those in the 80's and liked it) but if I could get

a P77 I'd stick with the P77. If anyone knows of a genuine source I'd love to know.

Turntable: Rock 7; Arm: Rega 250; Electronics: MF A308; Speakers : Wilson Benesch

A

Anonymous

Try the EXPERT STYLUS COMPANY. Tel: 03722 76604. I got a Technics EPC-204 replacement from them years ago. It sounded brilliant fitted with a parabolic stylus.

colver

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
There are companies that will retip your current stylus but at a cost. Ive got an old Pickering xsv-4000 cart which i loved but the stylus is like a joiners chisel its that worn. Im sure i got a quote a year ago for about 100 quid.

A

Anonymous

I'm convinced now having seen a few styli being assessed by microscope then professionally cleaned that this is the way to go. How do you really know if your stylus is damaged without some kind of assessment.... aren't they made of one of the hardest substances known to man? - certainly harder than a plastic record.

Linn

Revolver TT, Meridian 200 and 203 DAC, Linn Kan II speakers with Linn Pretek and two LK 100s.

A

Anonymous

I've just had my P77 stylus cleaned by Linn.

Not only were the microsope pictures impressive I could even see the

difference via my x8 Lupe.

And the sound on playback was significantly cleaner (sorry I couldn't resist! :)

Whether it's as good as new is a moot point but irrelevant, because I can't get new.

So this has got to be a great value service.

Thanks to Linn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts