a question for Wishtree

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hi!

AFAIK you're German. if so I'd like to ask you a favour.

I came across this review of Magnepan MG3.7 speakers from German "Stereo" hi-fi mag in .pdf format here:

http://www.taurus-high-end.de/infomaterial/magnepan/test/test_mg37_stereo0911.pdf

MG 3.7 are speakers to which I could reasonably be able to upgrade in the future (there is another speaker constantly at the back of my mind but they are way too expensive) so I'm very interested in every piece of information I can get on them. but in case of this review I have a problem because I know no German. would you be kind enough to translate some highlights from it for me? what the guy thinks of the sound? and that "labor kommentar" box?

thanks!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what the going rate is for German to English translation...

Japanese to English business translations are between 30-45 yen per word for if you want high quality.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
yeah, thanx guys for your input so far that doesn't help me much...

I'd try google translate only if the article wasn't a "picture" so I can't copy - paste the text and rewriting an unfamiliar language is rather a PITA. obviously I'll have no other choice if Wishtree doesn't agree but until then I can still at least have hope I'll not have another chore to deal with.

as with the link to Magnepan web site... does it mean someone thought I haven't been there yet? LOL!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:

I'd try google translate only if the article wasn't a "picture" so I can't copy - paste the text and rewriting an unfamiliar language is rather a PITA. obviously I'll have no other choice if Wishtree doesn't agree but until then I can still at least have hope I'll not have another chore to deal with.

as with the link to Magnepan web site... does it mean someone thought I haven't been there yet? LOL!

I'm not on my computer at the moment but I've google translated from this mag before. As it's a PDF I think you can use the text select tool to copy and past the text, and then translate that.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
oldric_naubhoff said:

I'm not on my computer at the moment but I've google translated from this mag before. As it's a PDF I think you can use the text select tool to copy and past the text, and then translate that.

that link I found refers to a .pdf file which is a scan from the mag. so the text select tool is not working. at least it wasn't working for me yesterday when I was trying to copy paste it into google translate. only object select tool was working on this file.

if anyone know a way to go round this obstacle I'm all ears.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for writing my name in the title post :) Though German is not my native language, Let me see what I can do here..

Labor - Kommentar stands for Commentary from the Laboratory which is like the test results.

Given the overall rating it looks like these are mostly liked.

They suggest that the speakers are good for Classical Music & Jazz but for Hard Rock music effects, one should look elsewhere. There is a natural sounding aura. It does not necessarily need a high power amplifier but can benefit from using one. With Symphony Lines they are wonderfully clear. In the end they are good to try for the people who tried everything else or for some one new to the game with "small fortune". He ends saying how high do you want to go? It is the word play on the actual height of the speakers as well as the price of the speakers :bounce:

The German that they used is really not the easiest and it looks like the writing is targeted to give a very different / unrealated meaning when translated using online tools !

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
that link I found refers to a .pdf file which is a scan from the mag. so the text select tool is not working. at least it wasn't working for me yesterday when I was trying to copy paste it into google translate. only object select tool was working on this file.

if anyone know a way to go round this obstacle I'm all ears.

If you have Adobe professional then you can use OCR to read the text with German set as the base language. However as I mentioned before, it does little good as there is a lot of word play and not so easy to get it (atleast for me) in the first go!

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Try this:

http://www.labnol.org/internet/tools/translate-pdf-word-documents-online-google-translate/3553/

thanx for suggestion Biggy but already tried that last night and it didn't work. as I said earlier this file is a scan from the mag so even if it appears for us like a document computers see it as a picture. this google documents translating tool doesn't seem to recognise text imbedded into a picture. I would need some text recognising from a picture soft first to go ahead with google translate.

but fortunately WishTree already answered my begging. :)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
WishTree said:
Thank you for writing my name in the title post :) Though German is not my native language, Let me see what I can do here..

Labor - Kommentar stands for Commentary from the Laboratory which is like the test results.

Given the overall rating it looks like these are mostly liked.

They suggest that the speakers are good for Classical Music & Jazz but for Hard Rock music effects, one should look elsewhere. There is a natural sounding aura. It does not necessarily need a high power amplifier but can benefit from using one. With Symphony Lines they are wonderfully clear. In the end they are good to try for the people who tried everything else or for some one new to the game with "small fortune". He ends saying how high do you want to go? It is the word play on the actual height of the speakers as well as the price of the speakers :bounce:

The German that they used is really not the easiest and it looks like the writing is targeted to give a very different / unrealated meaning when translated using online tools !

thanx WishTree! very appreciated. :)

it looks like the German review mirrors findings about those speakers from English language reviews. so no surprises here. which is a good thing BTW :)

I tried to translate Labor Kmmentar myself as that's what I'm usually most interested in in every review - the measurements. I was quite positively shocked when I saw distortion measurements. I knew Magnepans play clear (I have one myself) but those MG3.7 are simply amazing! only good electrostats can compete here. but enough of my ramblings :)

so now I only need to move to a house with bigger living room and wait for a suitable ex-demo or SH deal :shifty: those MG3.7 look like speakers I could hold on for a while. good thing I decided to take the risk with MG12. otherwise I wouldn't know what's there to gain with Mgnepan speakers.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I really want to try the smaller model, the MMG but its factory direct only in the USA :cry: And the cheapest start at £1.5k for the MG12's

I've got MG12. that's the reason why I'm interested in bigger models from Magnepan.

I bought mine completely blind because I wanted to find out what the fuss is about. I red numerous reviews and seldom could you find a bad word about them. now I'm glad I took the risk.

I encourage you to try them out too. I think you'll not be disappointed. if you're lucky, like I was, you could find some SH in mint condition for a fraction of their RRP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts