A question for the WHFT regarding the Olive 4HD

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hi, in your review you said "And comparing the CD quality with that of Marantz's excellent CD6003 was interesting, too: there wasn't much in it, with the 4HD proving, at the least, an attentively rhythmic and expressive listen" Did you mean the Olive's inbuilt cd player or playing back ripped cd's in flac? if it's the former than great but if you meant that latter i would have thought the Olive would outperform the CD6003 due to it's 24 bit dac upsampling?

just a thought as the Olive appeals to me and i am contemplating upgrading from my Sneaky DS!

regards danny

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Will have to put the question to the review team on Monday. But 24-bit upsampling doesn't guarantee better sound quality - just easier filtering of digital noise. The original signal is still limited by the CD format.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
ok thanks andrew. andrew do you know if the Olive 4HD is capable of upsampling say a PS3's blu-ray audio and how would this work? would it just be a case of an optical connection between the PS3 & Olive then stereo interconnects between Olive & my Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear?

regards danny

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
ok this is definatly the last question. andrew in your humble opinion can a high end headphone based system (grado gs1000i & lehmann audio black cube linear) match that of a high end amp and speaker set-up? my dealer seems to think that listening through headphones (even high end ones) is the equivalent of watching a live sporting event on the t.v. whilst a top notch amp + speaker set up will transport you there? do you subscribe to this?

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i'll probably get slaughtered for this on here but i just cannot get on with speakers, i all seem to do is tweak, if i move my head back slightly the sound changes and that's before taking into consideration room acoustics ect. my lehmann audio black cube just allows me to sit back and enjoy the music!

thanks for the advice

regards danny

bryanl01

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi

This is my first post on this forum I'm currently running the following and would like advice on whether I should invest in a separate DAC,or is there another configuration I could try my question was stimulated by the system builder in the August issue of WHF:

Naim Supernait (10 months old), Olive 4HD, Naim power supply (12 years old), PMC LB1 speakers, 2 Wireworld Stratus 5 Power (Olive & Supernait), Lindy Power block, Clearer Audio, Silver-line™ 75 Digital 1 Interconnect Cable WBT 0110 Ag nextgen RCA Plugs, Chard Carnival Silver Screen speaker cables, Chord Indigo Jumper Cables , Audio Technica ATH W1000x headphones and Graham Slee Novo headphone amplifier.
Thanks

Bryan

bryanl01

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi

This is my first post on this forum I'm currently running the following and would like advice on whether I should invest in a separate DAC, or reconfigure my system in anyway, my question was stimulated by the system builder in the August issue of WHF:

Naim Supernait (10 months old), Olive 4HD, Naim power supply (12 years old), PMC LB1 speakers, 2 Wireworld Stratus 5 Power (Olive & Supernait), Lindy Power block, Silver-line™ 75 Digital 1 Interconnect Cable WBT 0110 Ag nextgen RCA Plugs, Chard Carnival Silver Screen speaker cables, Chord Indigo Jumper Cables , Audio Technica ATH W1000x headphones and Graham Slee Novo headphone amplifier.

Thanks
Bryan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts