A power conditioner, will it improve sound quality??

idc

RCduck7, you will find on many posts on the forum that there a lot of people who find improvements with conditioners. However, there are those who hear no difference. I think that is down to how good someone's mains supply is and the effects other appliances have on mains noise. A noisy mains and there will be a difference, quiet mains and the difference will be smaller. I would be surprised if there is anyone with experience of xindak. I would recommend a company closer to home as so many provide a free trial. Your budget allows you to get some pretty high end conditioners, so you will also encounter the problem of diminishing returns ie is a £400 conditioner going to be 8 times better than the one I use which is now £50? Probably not.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
RCduck7:
I'm about to choose if i want or don't want a power conditioner.

Any experiences??

Budget is up to 400£

This got my intrest...

http://www.xindak.com/english/products/showditail.asp?id=309

Hi RCduck7

Yes conditioners do improve sound quality in a big way !

I remember when i first got the RA silencer for £40 (its £50 now) & i was really sceptical about a very small lightweight cube that was so light there felt like there was nothing in it that could improve my system.... how wrong i was. Not only did it change the quality of my picture but the sound was much more solid & incredibly accurate placement of surround sound effects, the bass was so much tighter & controlled, now if £50 can give you this kind of quality or £150 for a mini purifier from RA then personally i dont think you need to spend your kind of money to be honest, i know i wouldnt anyway.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Check out the QED on offer from HiFicables 6 way conditioner for £115 , 4 and 2 way available Clicky , RA appears to be very low of stock on most things currently and wait time up to 21 days. I ordered QED yesterday morning just before lunch and its coming today..

A

Anonymous

If you really want one, buy the cheapest conditioner you can and spend the rest of your money on CDs or vinyl.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
jase fox:RCduck7:

Any experiences??

Budget is up to 400£

This got my intrest...

Hi RCduck7 Yes conditioners do improve sound quality in a big way ! I remember when i first got the RA silencer for £40 (its £50 now) & i was really sceptical about a very small lightweight cube that was so light there felt like there was nothing in it that could improve my system.... how wrong i was. Not only did it change the quality of my picture but the sound was much more solid & incredibly accurate placement of surround sound effects, the bass was so much tighter & controlled, now if £50 can give you this kind of quality or £150 for a mini purifier from RA then personally i dont think you need to spend your kind of money to be honest, i know i wouldnt anyway.

I used to be sceptical to power cords also but see them now as a must have over standard mains cables that comes with amplifiers, cd players, etc...

I think a power regenerator is the best way to go but then we talk about 3 times the money i want to spend, that's why a power conditioner.

I know i have to be carefull with power conditioners as some models take away dynamics from the sound, i did a lot of research of what not to buy.

I also think 400£ as a maximum budget is not to much with the conditioner i have in mind, it will be able to take care of my Stereo amp, multichannel amp, processor, PS3, Plasma and mediacenter. Then i still have 2 sockets left for components that doesn't ask to much power like an amp does.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

Mains conditioners will always limit power transfer (hence many people can find that they limit dynamics, energy and drive) although the more expensive re-generators try to address this somewhat. So if you have a very good clean noise-free mains supply then a mains conditioner can actually result in negative effects (i.e., the normal benefits of usually removing noise are outweighed by limiting power transfer). However in this modern age a noise-free mains supply is rare so most people will find that a conditioner will improve performance. As with everything in hi-fi it is best to try if possible to see what works for you.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Darren

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm surprised these QED Mains Conditioners haven't been reviewed by WHF especially since they're from a manufacturer like QED. I feel that there is a gap in the market since Isotek's demise.

Any plans for a review Clare?

kena:Check out the QED on offer from HiFicables 6 way conditioner for £115 , 4 and 2 way available Clicky , RA appears to be very low of stock on most things currently and wait time up to 21 days. I ordered QED yesterday morning just before lunch and its coming today..

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
clearer_audio:Hello,

Mains conditioners will always limit power transfer (hence many people can find that they limit dynamics, energy and drive) although the more expensive re-generators try to address this somewhat. So if you have a very good clean noise-free mains supply then a mains conditioner can actually result in negative effects (i.e., the normal benefits of usually removing noise are outweighed by limiting power transfer). However in this modern age a noise-free mains supply is rare so most people will find that a conditioner will improve performance. As with everything in hi-fi it is best to try if possible to see what works for you.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Darren

I completely agree with all that
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

RCduck7:

Any experiences??

Budget is up to 400£

This got my intrest...

No, conditioners don't affect sound quality per se. What they will do is reduce any interference and limit any power surges so in my opinion a Tacima or similar is a very worthwhile investment for peace of mind alone.

A

Anonymous

They have for me and the difference wasn't subtle. (refering to mains cables, not mains block)

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't be without them, they turn Hi Fi into a musical performance, equipment is less stressed, (last longer)
TV picture improves noticably.

They make an improvement like Superchips do for cars.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts