A new way to get your hi-fi fix

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare. Looks superb! The user reviews are going to be sooooooooooooo useful. Was wondering, are products that haven't been reviewed by yourselves, going to be listed for user review?? -maybe older products or stuff thatsimply didn't get sent to you ?

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Excellent Clare ! Looks like a really good companion to the magazine. Quality and ideas look superb.

If your server is big enough to keep reviews of kit for a long long time and not delete because of space shortage, that would be fantastic. Maybe even put reviews into the database from years gone by. I can imagine looking back on the Kef Q30, Technics SUA900Mk2, Marantz CD63SE reviews from about 13 years ago which inspired my first hifi purchase (Thanks What Hi-Fi !). Still got the technics in my second system - very fond of it.

Regards,

Mike.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]Thanks Clare. Looks superb! The user reviews are going to be sooooooooooooo useful. Was wondering, are products that haven't been reviewed by yourselves, going to be listed for user review?? -maybe older products or stuff thatsimply didn't get sent to you ?[/quote]

You'll initially only be able to add your own reviews to those we've written - though of course there's nothing stopping you posting your own reviews in the Forums at any time!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mikegtar"]
Excellent Clare ! Looks like a really good companion to the magazine. Quality and ideas look superb.

If your server is big enough to keep reviews of kit for a long long time and not delete because of space shortage, that would be fantastic. Maybe even put reviews into the database from years gone by. I can imagine looking back on the Kef Q30, Technics SUA900Mk2, Marantz CD63SE reviews from about 13 years ago which inspired my first hifi purchase (Thanks What Hi-Fi !). Still got the technics in my second system - very fond of it.

Regards,

Mike.

[/quote]

Hi Mike,

We had to start somewhere, and 1000+ reviews of current products seemed as good a place as any!

But yes, we will build up an archive: as products are discontinued, the reviews will remain online, with a note as to what replaced the product and when.

You'll be able to see that in action on the new site tomorrow, as we've got all the 2007 Award winners online, some of which have since been replaced.

As for the older archive - as i've said here before, we'd love to get all 32-years of What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision up here (like our sister title, Gramophone, is doing with all its back issues), but that's another (massive!) project for another year!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Looking good so far. Although 2 things so far... When I load up this reply page in IE on Vista, some emoticons appear for a moment at the bottom...then disappear.

The other, the Hifi section has slipped even LOWER!!!

*edit (At least I dont have to use the lessthan P greaterthan!!! ;)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:Looking good so far. Although 2 things so far... When I load up this reply page in IE on Vista, some emoticons appear for a moment at the bottom...then disappear.

Forums are in a rather random order at the moment, we know - it's being sorted, so bear with us!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
fr0g:Looking good so far. Although 2 things so far... When I load up this reply page in IE on Vista, some emoticons appear for a moment at the bottom...then disappear.

Forums are in a rather random order at the moment, we know - it's being sorted, so bear with us!

lol - to be honest I don't mind. It was after reading the thread the other day, it made me chuckle ;)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:Clare Newsome:

lol - to be honest I don't mind. It was after reading the thread the other day, it made me chuckle ;)Just checking that the quotes are in boxes still. Easier to read that wa.

Nice job Clare and co.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ta. It's just the older posts where the formatting hasn't come across. Forums definitely causing us the biggest problems so far (no change there, then!) - but fear not, we're on the case...

A

Anonymous

Use Firefox like everyone else then. Oh, I agree with hifi being higher up the forum - at the top!

Signatures are a bit close below...........with random underlining on certain words too.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Recommendation for speaker reviews in the hifi section - add a sort option for either bookshelf/floorstanders (couldn't find one, apologies if it is and I'm too dumb to spot it!). Would make browsing for the desired speakers a bit easier :)

A

Anonymous

Hey I'm using Opera 9.5 browser on Windows XP SP2 running on a T60, my favorite site looks all messy now. Any fixes available?!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Just had a look in 9.26 on a Mac and it looks fine. Will get 9.5 and check, but what specifically are the problems?

Mind you, could be because you say you're running it on a Russian tank - a computer would probably be better...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:fr0g:Looking good so far. Although 2 things so far... When I load up this reply page in IE on Vista, some emoticons appear for a moment at the bottom...then disappear.

Use Firefox like everyone else then.

I much prefer IE. Although I do use Opera on occaision...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts