A new amp is closing in. . .?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
the record spot:plastic penguin:

the record spot:So what did you think of the Melody or the Unison Research then?

Cor Blimey! Hope this isn't a personal knock, Mr. spot? I've never heard of Melody and UR is out of my price range.

I've tried Roksan, Cyrus, Naim 5I, Musical Fidelity A300 (s/h), Arcam A70, Rotel RA06 and Cambridge 640V2. And this is over the last few months. Apart from Arcam only the kandy has impressed - so who knows, I might have different speakers. The joys of hi-fi, eh?

No no, far from it Mr. P - but there's a good chance of picking up a good nick used Unico and Meldoy clock in at £800, so that's in the price range. It had a review a few months back and was well rated (both were but the UR's been around a while). Melody are an Australian firm but have their build carried out in China (surprise, gasp!). Valves admittedly and a bit of a different sound, but thought it worth mentioning anyway. So no, not a knock, far from it as I say!

I used to like the sound of valve amps (cripes! many moons ago) but I need a brand that's readily available and has a good distribution network.

Due to my personal circumstances I physically don't have the time to travel long distances to go and audition an amp - to find I'm not keen on the sound. Thanks for the suggestion, though
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

Understand that right enough - I have a hard time finding some gear but thanks to a couple of shops locally (and the odd web foray) I'm luckier than some I guess. If you do see the Unison Research Unico P locally, that's £795 and maybe even on a deal in these hard times (the "P" denotes the slightly cheaper model than the standard Unico). Meant to be a bit of a cracker apparently!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts