A new amp is closing in. . .?

Next weekend I've arranged a demo which will [finally] decide where my hard earned money is going.

I will be testing a Primare I21 alongside my A65 Plus/power amp combo. I'm taking my RS6's in and will finally decide the sound that is best.

He has also suggested I try a different speaker as well. It's an old cliche but. . .watch this space
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

You could try a different amp too.....there's more out there than Arcam, Primare, B&W y'know...!
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

So what did you think of the Melody or the Unison Research then?

the record spot:So what did you think of the Melody or the Unison Research then?

Cor Blimey! Hope this isn't a personal knock, Mr. spot? I've never heard of Melody and UR is out of my price range.

I've tried Roksan, Cyrus, Naim 5I, Musical Fidelity A300 (s/h), Arcam A70, Rotel RA06 and Cambridge 640V2. And this is over the last few months. Apart from Arcam only the kandy has impressed - so who knows, I might have different speakers. The joys of hi-fi, eh?

I've checked e-bay and there are some A32's and other brands. I would love to save a bit of money and take a chance and buy from them, but knowing my luck a week after buying and thing will probably ignite
emotion-5.gif
Consequently, I'd prefer to go the dealer route, albeit pay extra; at least you know the seller and there's accountability.

daveh75:the a32's normally available on ebay are normally brand new/end of line stock so would be covered by warranty.

You're absolutely right. If I do decide to go dealer route, then I'll be the one with egg on me face. . .perhaps it'll confirm (if confirmation were needed) what an idiot I am.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Lintone, Moorgate and Sevenoaks who are all official Arcam dealers selling brand new stock with full 2 year warranties, even if it's end of line, it's not B grade, or grey import, or seconds. Proper A grade stock that just needs to be cleared to make way for the new ranges.

ÿ

I hope you can understand that I'm in my mid-40's and a creature of habit. I know what you guys say is right, but I think lintone is in gateshead or somewhere around that region, and if it goes pair-shaped they're out of harms way.

I know Joel purchased his CD192 from there without incident. . .I dunno, maybe I should just go for it and hang the consequences - should they arise.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You are protected by law on consumer electronics with at least a 12 month warranty. The actual Arcam warranty isn't with Lintone, it's with Arcam so Lintone are just the middle-man and will get their money back from Arcam for any costs they incur.

It would be different if they weren't an official, registered Arcam supplier and had bought products on the black or grey market.

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
5 year warranty actually. The only way you can lose is if Arcam go out of business and the machine breaks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-FMJ-A32-Integrated-Amplifier-BOXED-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ380069931129QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380069931129&_trkparms=72%3A1348%7C39%3A2%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14ÿ

daveh75

lintones are in newcastle and in gateshead, i know what your saying about distance buying/selling, can be a knightmare if you get problems, but wouldn't let that put me off getting a bargain, i've also used lintone's, but saying that i live in the north east at moment so can deal direct with them. as i only live 15 mins from them

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
For a company like Lintone who do a fair amount of business on eBay, negative feedback would really hurt them. It's as safe as houses. Also when I bought my 192 the service was impeccable.

ÿ

JoelSim:

For a company like Lintone who do a fair amount of business on eBay, negative feedback would really hurt them. It's as safe as houses. Also when I bought my 192 the service was impeccable.

Too true. I'm not suggesting that companies advertising/selling on e-bay are dodgy - clearly they're not.

As I started a new job 7 weeks ago for an insurance broker and it's going really well. . .however, the insurance co we use is A.I.G. so even though George doubl-y has bailed them out, all our prospective clients are jittery.

JoelSim:

the only thing that's stopping me is the guaranteed grief from 'er indoors. Oh to be single.

That's the other problem. The OH would go spare if knew I was intending to spend £600 or squid on one component.

Also, the dealer I'm seeing next weekend says he has a S/H P85 to bi-amp the A65+, and he's asking £350 or thereabouts. I think that's easier to swallow for er indoors, given the circumstances.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well the country is in recession, and it's going to be a bad one. I reckon my mortgages are going to cost me £1,000 more per month this year and equity decreasing, so no buying for me for the time being. Bloody City slickers have a lot to answer for.

ÿ

ÿ

JoelSim:

Well the country is in recession, and it's going to be a bad one. I reckon my mortgages are going to cost me £1,000 more per month this year and equity decreasing, so no buying for me for the time being. Bloody City slickers have a lot to answer for.

Sadly, I can't see the recessioon bottoming out for at least another year, then add another 18 months for confidence to fully restore. As a consequence home entertainment is fairly low priority or non essential. I can see many independant companies going to the wall.

Batten down the hatches.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:JoelSim:

ÿ

ÿ

Sadly, I can't see the recessioon bottoming out for at least another year, then add another 18 months for confidence to fully restore. As a consequence home entertainment is fairly low priority or non essential. I can see many independant companies going to the wall.

Batten down the hatches.

Quite, and probably mid priced kit will sufferÿ

T

the record spot

plastic penguin:
the record spot:So what did you think of the Melody or the Unison Research then?

Cor Blimey! Hope this isn't a personal knock, Mr. spot? I've never heard of Melody and UR is out of my price range.

I've tried Roksan, Cyrus, Naim 5I, Musical Fidelity A300 (s/h), Arcam A70, Rotel RA06 and Cambridge 640V2. And this is over the last few months. Apart from Arcam only the kandy has impressed - so who knows, I might have different speakers. The joys of hi-fi, eh?

No no, far from it Mr. P - but there's a good chance of picking up a good nick used Unico and Meldoy clock in at £800, so that's in the price range. It had a review a few months back and was well rated (both were but the UR's been around a while). Melody are an Australian firm but have their build carried out in China (surprise, gasp!). Valves admittedly and a bit of a different sound, but thought it worth mentioning anyway.

So no, not a knock, far from it as I say!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts