A Monitor Audio Fan

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
As you'll see from my sig I have a MA 5.1 set-up. Since adding the CDP into the system the MAs have really woken up. Always been outstanding with movies. Suppose my BDP was the musical weak link.

Now, I bought the CDP as the first part of a stereo set-up for the lounge, after alot of great input on another thread I've decided to aim for a Nad c352 amp (or possibly a Marantz if I can't get what I'm after).

I love the sound of the MAs / loved the BR1s when used for stereo before that. As you can prob guess very happy with the MA sound so would I be complicating things by looking at other makes of speaker for the CD system ?The MA RX6s look to be what I'm after.

Only just got back into proper hi-fi, does developing brand loyalty this early mean I'll miss out on what else is out there ?

A

Anonymous

i had br5s with a nad c326bee , nice match , very bassy though , too overpowering for my taste , it was the same with my rx6s , i swapped for a marantz pm6003 and its a much better sound to my ears ..

havnt a clue about the c352 , but id try and demo with whatever ma,s your planning on pairing it with , assuming its as bassy as the 326 , you may love it . or not ..

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If I get the Nad it'll be 2nd hand (no longer new).

I'll prob trial with the BR5s I have.

If I speak to some local dealers they might be nice and lend me somes RX6s when I get my amp.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:We are a dying breed...

Really?

I too have the BR5s, BR1s and BRLCR all in cherry
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Ive owned:

GR10/20/60/LCRs

RS8s

RX2s

GS10/60s

PL100s/300Surround Package (Current Speaker Setup)

Aside from the PL's - not being as pretty as the GS range IMO - Ive always had a massive smile on my face

Every friend of mine Ive recommended them too - has purchased a pair of MA's as well.

Great Sound, Great Looks - why wouldnt you smile?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
I don't think dying breed is appropriate. Monitor Audio must have a quite a large share of the market at the moment.

Im sure they must as well - I wonder if there is any quantitative information regarding this we can easily get a hold off........[What Hifi Calling]......

scene

I don't feel like a dying breed...

I have Silver 8is bought new and have bought an RS LCR to keep them company. I dream of a full MA 5.1 set up - RS probably, but RX if I get the cash and want to have a stereo pair of PLs... Love them.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
richardw42:

As you'll see from my sig I have a MA 5.1 set-up. Since adding the CDP into the system the MAs have really woken up. Always been outstanding with movies. Suppose my BDP was the musical weak link.

Now, I bought the CDP as the first part of a stereo set-up for the lounge, after alot of great input on another thread I've decided to aim for a Nad c352 amp (or possibly a Marantz if I can't get what I'm after).

I love the sound of the MAs / loved the BR1s when used for stereo before that. As you can prob guess very happy with the MA sound so would I be complicating things by looking at other makes of speaker for the CD system ?The MA RX6s look to be what I'm after.

Only just got back into proper hi-fi, does developing brand loyalty this early mean I'll miss out on what else is out there ?

Are these to replace the BR5s? Or to have a new pair as well?

If it is to replace them to just use the front pair for Stereo duty then MA is probably your best bet. If it is instead of, then you should get down to your local dealer, take your CDP with you and listen to various amp/speaker combos.

A

Anonymous

Used to love MA stuff until i tried the silver RS1's.Too bright and a soft ill defined bass . I have heard the new silver range has addressed that issue somewhat though ( maybe someone could enlighten me if this is really the case) so maybe if i ever change my speakers i might go back to them.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The BR5s will stay with the Home Cinema in a different room.

New speakers will be for a stereo system in the lounge.

Already bought the roksan off ebay, was then aiming for a Nad 352, however, my Marantz NR1501 (albeit an AV amp) is performing so well in my current set-up with the CDP and BR5s perhaps I should change my mind (yet again) and investigate Marantz srereo amps. Do you think a PM66SE KI would be a bit underpowered.

Onto the speakers, with the new BX range I'd imagine I could get a deal on the BR6, or will I regret not going for the RX6 ? (as it might stand up to upgrades better)

Budgets not a primary issue but I don't want to go daft.

Up to a few months ago used to 200-300 minis where gimmicks were more important than SQ.

Come a long way thanks to this forum
emotion-2.gif

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just bought a peir of RS6s. New and boxed for £271 including postage.

Well chuffed !!!! Was it a good price ?

So. Got a roksan cdp and now the RS6s. Amp to go

I'm still flitting between Nad 352 & Marantz (prob pm7001). Should I dig a bit deeper to do justice to what I've got so far. Don't mind up to 300 (ish), but ebay will be my friend so prob 2nd hand.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Unbelievable isn't it !!!!!!

They'd mucked up the listing initially and listed the details for the RX6. Looking at the Q & A's a few people picked up on this and the seller amended he listing to say they were in fact RS6s.

This must have put some people off, but they're a 20,000+ seller so everything will be ok

A

Anonymous

ah , a nice find , dont think theres much between them and the rx6s , which are what ? £700ish ...

£271 .. thats great value
emotion-21.gif

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Got the RS6s delivered today.

Reason I got them so cheap was pot luck on the colour.

I opened the boxes and - eeurgh they were silver. My excitement soon faded. Ayway nothing happening this afternoon so decided to attach to my HC set-up to run them in for when I eventually get the stereo amp.

I have to say in situ with the grille covers off they look the biz. My BR5s are in walnut and they look stunning in comparison to them.

The bass sounds a little soft on NINE INCH NAILS - FURTHER DOWN THE SPIRAL. But it took a couple of months for the BR5s to really come alive so pretty confident its all going to work out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts