A loud "spike" into my speaker.......

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
...........but from where?

I was listening to my system last night when a loud crack went into my speakers. As I looked up, I saw the 2 green lights on my Bryston 4bst turn momentarily to red. I've never seen this before and didn't even know they did this, let alone understand what it means.
I use a tube pre amp (AR Ref 3) and I notice one of the valves flickers on power up, much like a fluorescent tube does, but research tells me that is not unusual. This flicker could be heard through the speakers, but I don't power up the Bryston until the valve has settled now. This seems to be ok.
Where could the problem be? Is it something to do with the valve, or is the Bryston the problem? It's well out of warranty, so not sure what I interest they might have.
Luckily, I was playing at a relatively low level, otherwise I'm fearful I could cause serious damage to my speakers, as the crack was so loud.
This all happened within 15 mins of power up. Should I leave it longer just to let everything settle? It's a new problem that hasn't happened before.
Any ideas out there, as I'm a bit reluctant to use my system until I understand what has happened?

Thanks.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
From what you've said I'd say that the Bryston's protection circuit reacted to the spike.
The problem is obviously with the preamp.
Personally I wouldn't be using it until the problem had been permanently sorted out.

Cheers for that.
I'll look into it and try to get both amps looked at as a precaution.
Just out of interest, what are your thoughts on the flickering valve?
Could that be the issue?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts