A little story

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I would like to start by saying this is not a post for help. It, I hope gives an advisory for those looking to go into Hifi for the first time, or those looking to upgrade or those that just enjoy the company of a fellow audiophile.

Knowing when is enough in most tech purchases is probably the downfall of most blokes bank balances. I know because I'm always looking for the next bargain TV, amplifier or speakers. Dreaming about those floorstanders weighing a total of 70kilos that will be way too big for your room.

However, in the midst of all this day dreaming or Internet window shopping you sometimes might find yourself sat on that sofa, with the volume cranked up, reminding you why you fell in love with hifi in the first place. I will admit my system may not be the top of the line but even so, it sometimes just let's loose and reminds you....just listen to your damn music.

I'll put my hands up right now and admit, I got caught up in the whole rat race of forking out 1000s of pounds to get the best system ever. Even if it meant bleeding ears because they are way too big for the room there in. Knowing your limit is when you just sit back, unwind and appreciate what you got and why you fell in love with listening to music.

My advice as someone who went into Hifi with a rather basic knowledge to those looking to get into it, know your limits from the very start. Yes have a budget to begin with but if you feel you need to stretch that even further to get what you want, decide then and there.

I probably had a ratio spend on my hifi 70/30 to speakers. After ignoring all the advice about the amplifier taking precedence over the speakers. BIG MISTAKE! Only after purchasing a power amplifier after another 4 years of saving up have I realised how much you need to invest just to power hifi speakers!

The whole reason this post came about is when I sat down this evening, listened to a newly purchased album and it reminded me of the whole reason why I got into this. To appreciate music in its purity through a descent system. That spine tingling feeling of having the artist stand in front of you, composing your favourite music.

Don't get caught up in thinking this is form of science, endlessly looking for improvement. You will br astonished how much hifi speakers can truly give. Just whack on that album by Miles Davis, or Nina Simone, or Rage Against the Machines, whatever it may be and just enjoy what you got.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
It is all about the music.

I was listening to Leonard Cohens "Old Ideas" last night with a glass of red (not encouraging alcohol), the fire was on, the missus was shopping, the house was quiet. My hifi is in my signature, and by standards here it is in the very budget end. I don't think I could have been happier if my system was 20 times the price

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nah, can't agree.

This is a hobby where one is in pursuit of perfect playback of recorded material through the medium of electronic equipment.

What you just described is being a music fan for whom the above is ultimately unimportant.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Are you using big B&W speakers?

they tend to have tricky impedence drops and benefit from amplification that can handle that.

Based on no real logic I've always favored the amp first approach, although switching to active monitors has removed the whole matching the amp to the speakers issue from the equation for me.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with searching for that perfect sound. All I'm trying to say advise against is forgetting your music and start to nick pick at all the flaws you may think your system has. The choice you have in the hifi market should alone satisfy your hearing and taste in music.

Don't get me wrong I'm still looking for bigger speakers and amps but I'm satisfied with what I have.....for now. That is why I'm just giving those new comers a warning. This can be an expensive hobby.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
Are you using big B&W speakers?

they tend to have tricky impedence drops and benefit from amplification that can handle that.  

Based on no real logic I've always favored the amp first approach, although switching to active monitors has removed the whole matching the amp to the speakers issue from the equation for me. 

I'm not sure, would you classify 684 S1's as big speakers? For me comparing the sounds to the other potential combinations, these sound beautiful.

It was the B&W/Rotel combo that I preferred over the KEF Q500/Marantz or the Mordaunt Short Aviano/Pioneer. The 684s played all music genres very well. Not that I'm saying the other combos were bad, they weren't! I thought the Mordaunt Shorts were remarkable speakers for the money.

I'd advise that to anyone these days. Amplifier takes priority!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts