A good thing happened to me today

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Today I thought I would buy some better speaker cables for my Dali opticon 6s so I thought I would phone richer sounds up to find out what they had the chap asked me what speakers I had I said Dali opticon 6s but wished I went for the bigger Dali opticon 8s then the man said when did you get them I said not sure 3 months or more then he said if your still got the boxes and everything you can bring them back and pay the difference on the opticon 8s so I jumped for it and paid the difference and now they are on order I can not wait till they get here but for now using the Dali 3s an till i get the new opticons back they will do but God the Dali 3s sound like boxes and not speakers. So it's been a good day to day so top service from richer sounds and shocked that they let me upgrade to the bigger 8s without losing any money

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Today I thought I would buy some better speaker cables for my Dali opticon 6s so I thought I would phone richer sounds up to find out what they had the chap asked me what speakers I had I said Dali opticon 6s but wished I went for the bigger Dali opticon 8s then the man said when did you get them I said not sure 3 months or more then he said if your still got the boxes and everything you can bring them back and pay the difference on the opticon 8s so I jumped for it and paid the difference and now they are on order I can not wait till they get here but for now using the Dali 3s an till i get the new opticons back they will do but God the Dali 3s sound like boxes and not speakers. So it's been a good day to day so top service from richer sounds and shocked that they let me upgrade to the bigger 8s without losing any money

Bargain! well done

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Omg what bloody ugly looking speakers,if i were me i'd keep those grills on lol

I guess at the end of the day it's how they sound though, in my room they would bass boom for sure with those two 8 inch woofers.

still love your Amp :)

Enjoy

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The Mad One said:
Omg what bloody ugly looking speakers,if i were me i'd keep those grills on lol

I guess at the end of the day it's how they sound though, in my room they would bass boom for sure with those two 8 inch woofers.

still love your Amp :)

Enjoy
your right they do look ugly not so good looking as the 6s as the tweeters are in the middle instead of the top . I have a little one running around so the grills will be kept on but yes the abrahamsen will easy manage the 8s and the 8s go even lower on the frequency then the opticon 6s the opticon 6 were 200 watt speakers and the 8s are 300 watts and a much bigger cabinet but owning the abrahamsen manages the bass anyway it did with the 6s very controlled and no boom but both the opticon 6 & 8s are 4 ohm speakers . I do love the opticon range they are fantastic speakers I just can not believe that richer sounds let me change them after so long.... p.s your got a abrahamsen you should know how well the bass is controlled

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Absolutley the Abrahamsen will keep the speakers bass in a vice like grip and you know what, the more ive viewed the speakers the more they're not so bad looking its just when i first viewed them it was like ugly they also look massive compaired to the 6's.

i think they would be too over powering in my my modest size room though (16x11 feet)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The Mad One said:
Absolutley the Abrahamsen will keep the speakers bass in a vice like grip and you know what, the more ive viewed the speakers the more they're not so bad looking its just when i first viewed them it was like ugly they also look massive compaired to the 6's.

i think they would be too over powering in my my modest size room though (16x11 feet)
yes they are monsters when you compare them with the opticon 6 . You never know what the 8s will sound like in your place a specially using the abrahamsen you might not get any boom from them that is why I went for the opticon 6 speakers in the first place as I was worried that they would boom too but they did not boom . The trouble is a lot of the Hifi shops will not let you do a home demo unless you pay the full price of the speakers and then you can do a home demo unless you have a Hifi shop owner that trusts you to bring them back

Blacksabbath25 said:
The Mad One said:

yes they are monsters when you compare them with the opticon 6 . You never know what the 8s will sound like in your place a specially using the abrahamsen you might not get any boom from them that is why I went for the opticon 6 speakers in the first place as I was worried that they would boom too but they did not boom . The trouble is a lot of the Hifi shops will not let you do a home demo unless you pay the full price of the speakers and then you can do a home demo unless you have a Hifi shop owner that trusts you to bring them back

Just how do you conclude an amplifier is going to cancel any possibility of bass boom? Surely this is down to room itself and the speakers reaction to it.

Yet another Abrahamsen cure-all post.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
The Mad One said:

Just how do you conclude an amplifier is going to cancel any possibility of bass boom? Surely this is down to room itself and the speakers reaction to it.

Yet another Abrahamsen cure-all post.
the abrahamsen does handle bass very well it's not a cure but it helps and yes the room does play a big part in it as well as placement of the speakers . What I was meant to say is it's hard to know how speakers are going to act in a room without doing a home demo first . Anyway me and mad one both have the same amps so he knows what I am talking about

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
There is a distinction to be drawn between boom and distortion. Boom is down to the room but even a small room can be well treated, mine is modest with Event Opals and doesn't suffer. An amp with less guts may well lead to less controlled and distorted bass.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Even though I am pro-Abrahamsen (as we now seem to have two camps) I would agree that it won't stop bass boom. Boom is stopped by placing bass traps / re-positioning speakers / using some sort of DSP (e.g. Dspeaker Antimode) / block up the bass port (if speakers have them).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
maxresdefault.jpg

Early congrats on this clever move. It always pays of to ask and look for a deal. *drinks*

I actually like the front looks. The tweeter/ribbon assembly is very HAL9000-ish.

opticon-8-hybrid-tweeter.jpg

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Early congrats on this clever move. It always pays of to ask and look for a deal. *drinks*

I actually like the front looks. The tweeter/ribbon assembly is very HAL9000-ish.
thanks vladimir i am shocked to be honest that after 3-4 months of owning the dali opticon 6 speakers they let me upgrade to the 8s without losing any money which is amazing even that i had to pay a little towards the 8s but still worth it as i did like the opticon 6 speakers but the 8s will be even better and much bigger speaker

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

Hmmm... Last time I looked Richer Sounds didn't sell second hand kit. In the not too distant future some poor mug is going to get a "brand new in open box" pair of speakers I suspect...

Edit - Sorry Richer Sounds. You do ex-service and are open about customer returns so am wrong...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Hmmm... Last time I looked Richer Sounds didn't sell second hand kit. In the not too distant future some poor mug is going to get a "brand new in open box" pair of speakers I suspect...

Edit - Sorry Richer Sounds. You do ex-service and are open about customer returns so am wrong...

Yesterday, I got myself sime temporary speakers for the meantime until i decide what im going to get.

I brought (dont laugh) wharfedale 220s to keep me going but im kinda kicking myself as i could have (for only £40 more) got a really scuffy set of ar 301s.

I was thinking about resell after a few months though.
The ar's looked like some had polished them with steel wool.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
When do you get the 8s? Bet you cant wait
not sure if they are not in the uk in one of richer sounds werehouse somewhere then they have to come from dali them self's which can take upto 2 weeks but i told them to open the boxes to check for any damaged speakers as this happened to someone on here before when he got his but yes can not wait

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

they sell stuff as open box or ex demo but yes your right i had them for 3-4 month's which is why i was shocked that i could take them back after all this time but the speakers are mint still and i keep everything so the manger checked them and was happy to do the upgrade which i am pleased about so i am sure they will sell them as ex demo but a lot of the staff like this speakers so would not surprise me if one of the staff buy them

TRENDING THREADS