a good quality integrated amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks

I am looking for a good quality integrated amp (budget 200-350) for Kef Speaker and Sony SMP-N100. Which one is best

Yamaha A-S500

Nad c326

Or any other..

Appreciate your valuable advice

Cheers

Jimmy

jackis69 said:
Hi folks

I am looking for a good quality integrated amp (budget 200-350) for Kef Speaker and Sony SMP-N100. Which one is best

Yamaha A-S500

Nad c326

Or any other..

Appreciate your valuable advice

Cheers

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

A few questions: What speakers and sources do you have (Do you mean Kef IQ5)? favoured styles of music? Do you prefer a brand new or s/hand amp?

If you go s/hand you'll get more for your money but you'll be unlikely to demo before buying.

A

Anonymous

Hi Plastic Penguin

thanks for the reply ..

With my budget i don't think i would be able to get a brad new amp.. so i would be looking for 2nd hand ..but a quality one..

Speaker Spec

Specification: Q15.2
System type: Two-way, bookshelf/stand-mount
Enclosure type: Reflex
Dimensions (H x W x D): 312 x 207 x 276mm (12.3 x 8.2 x 10.9 inches)
Weight: 5.5kg (12.1 lbs)
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
Power Handling: 100W
Frequency response: 50Hz to 20kHz +/-3.0dB (-6dB at 47Hz)
Sensitivity: 91dB at 1m for 2.83V
Maximum output: 111dB
Finish: Black Ash, Mahogany, Video Grey
System: SP3315
Drive units: B160 Uni-Q (SP1445) [NT19 tweeter (SP1446)]
Crossover network: SP2337

Source.

Via Windows 7 media player songs (mP3) are streamed to Sony SMP-n100 device that then connect to AMP (RED White cable)

thanks..

T

the record spot

The Sony's a great little streamer and gives you a whole bunch more for the same money that the Apple TV2 does. In any other circumstances for your budget, I'd have suggested my amp (the Onkyo) which does a similar job, but negates the need for a separate amplifier.

No idea about the KEFs but your money will get you a bunch of new and used amps that should do a job. Don't overlook, however, the outgoing Cambridge 650A, which is down to about £250 in some Richer Sounds shops, or the new Marantz PM6004. There's loads, so it's probably best to work out what kind of sound you want to hear and draw up a shortlist thereafter.

A

Anonymous

hi

will Marantz PM6004 be enough to power my speaker, which is Power Handling: 100W. shouldn't i be looking for a an amp that is close to 100w or above

ta

T

the record spot

I would look at the speaker's impedence first and foremost - a figure expressed in "db", so once you get 88db and above, the speaker is an easier load for the amplifier to drive.

Typically look for this value and the amp will generally be fine (as long as you don't push lower powered amps hard, in which case you risk damaging the amp and/or the speakers) as long as you're not trying to match up some 10wpc effort (unlikely) with a pair of 82db boxes.

The Cambridge 650A is 75wpc for instance, the Onkyo I use is 100wpc, the Marantz is around 45wpc. They'll all sound good, but you need to partner them well with a speaker and for the lower powered models out there, definitely not thrash them as they'll end up distorting and just being an unpleasant listen.

A

Anonymous

thanks my speaker spec is as given bellow and I can see feew item with Db.. which one.. i am novice in these things..

Specification: Q15.2
System type: Two-way, bookshelf/stand-mount
Enclosure type: Reflex
Dimensions (H x W x D): 312 x 207 x 276mm (12.3 x 8.2 x 10.9 inches)
Weight: 5.5kg (12.1 lbs)
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
Power Handling: 100W
Frequency response: 50Hz to 20kHz +/-3.0dB (-6dB at 47Hz)
Sensitivity: 91dB at 1m for 2.83V
Maximum output: 111dB
Finish: Black Ash, Mahogany, Video Grey
System: SP3315
Drive units: B160 Uni-Q (SP1445) [NT19 tweeter (SP1446)]
Crossover network: SP2337

thanks

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Those Kefs are easy to drive so the Marantz will be fine. By the time the speakers started distorting, you'd be deaf :exmark:

There are a number of factors that come into power handling, and a 100W amp may have a lower performance level in terms of distortion than one of half the wattage. It's all to do with design, build quality, components etc. The Marantz happens to use a design and components which were unheard of in amps at this price a few years ago, and much better than the predecessor, the 6003. The CA 650 is also another example of a well designed amp that should go louder than many without distorting - but again, you'd have lost your hearing by then. Don't know anything about the Onkyo.

A

Anonymous

thanks..

There are a number of factors that come into power handling, and a 100W amp may have a lower performance level in terms of distortion than one of half the wattage.

How to check the performance level, which attribute i should be looking for in the amp spec.

At present my system spec is as follows, Pioneer A-209r AMP+Cambridge CD5 cd player+Sony smp-n100 media streamer

CD player is connected to line-in of the AMP and Sony is connected to Tape1. When paying music from CD player it sounds better but same song when played using Sony media streamer i have to turn the volumn little bit high to get the same performance. why is that..

cheers

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
I would look at the speaker's impedence first and foremost - a figure expressed in "db", so once you get 88db and above, the speaker is an easier load for the amplifier to drive.

Typically look for this value and the amp will generally be fine (as long as you don't push lower powered amps hard, in which case you risk damaging the amp and/or the speakers) as long as you're not trying to match up some 10wpc effort (unlikely) with a pair of 82db boxes.

The Cambridge 650A is 75wpc for instance, the Onkyo I use is 100wpc, the Marantz is around 45wpc. They'll all sound good, but you need to partner them well with a speaker and for the lower powered models out there, definitely not thrash them as they'll end up distorting and just being an unpleasant listen.

I think your'e mixing impedance with sensivity RS. Sensivity is expressed in "db" and impedance in "ohms"

T

the record spot

I was. "Woops" would be another way of putting it...! With 91db in the KEFs, just about any amp would do a job - nice and easy to drive.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Roksan Kandy amps (120W 8Ohms) can picked up second hand within your budget. Haven't heard it in comparison to the Yamaha, Marantz or Nad.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
jackis69 said:
Which one sounds louder a 100w or 50w??

thanks

The one placed in the smallest room with the most "down to earth" power rating , connected to the most efficient speakers with the most stable impedance rating....

A

Anonymous

thanks..

can some put your comment on those two amps, nad 340 and nad 352

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts