A DAFTER question...maybe.

This may sound idiotic...

Over the years, generally speaking, integrated amps are better than receivers. Right? We also have processors to convert two channel amps into surround sound, but these are usually very expensive. So why hasn't any of the bigger brands produced a integrated multi-channel amplifier, minus the radio bit?

Perhaps they have but very few, if any, exist. This could be a niche market...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Various companies, including Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha, have done just that, but it seems the world market, for which these products are made, prefers receivers, and it can be more expensive to make specific radio-less models for certain markets, rather than just selling the same product everywhere.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Over the years, generally speaking, integrated amps are better than receivers. Right?

Not sure about that. Back when stereo receivers were more popular, there some glorious ones out there (Yamaha, Sansui, Sony, JVC, Marantz etc.) that gave little - if anything - away to integrated amps.

plastic penguin said:
We also have processors to convert two channel amps into surround sound, but these are usually very expensive. So why hasn't any of the bigger brands produced a integrated multi-channel amplifier, minus the radio bit? Perhaps they have but very few, if any, exist. This could be a niche market...

I am almost the opposite. Rather than waiting for companies to make 5.1 (or 7.1) systems as fragmented as possible (seperate boxes for everything), I want the perfect "do absolutely everything" box to come along. One slot for any digital disk from CD to Blu-ray, FM/DAB/DAB+/Internet radio, an internal DAC with USB and optical and coax inputs, HDMI, DVD upscaling, BBC iPlayer access, Freeview HD and Freesat HD tuners, a built in HDD for recording, wireless, and and a 'pre-out' for connecting to active speakers (or power amps) should the whim ever take me that way :)

I have become a great fan of the new generation of 'music-centres' that have started to appear and want them to go a lot further with the concept until all I need to do is plug in a monitor and some speakers.

(Oops, forgot...and iPhone/iPod connectivity both wired and wireless.)

Exactly my point...sort of. Most integrated amps have MP3 sockets on the facia etc etc. Unlike you and I not everyone wants a radio (if they do then Freeview is available, like good quality portables). I think a high quality integrated amp, without the need for a processor or separate receiver, that'll play two channel as well as 5.1 or 7.1 could be a hit.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Over the years, generally speaking, integrated amps are better than receivers. Right?

Not sure about that. Back when stereo receivers were more popular, there some glorious ones out there (Yamaha, Sansui, Sony, JVC, Marantz etc.) that gave little - if anything - away to integrated amps.

plastic penguin said:
We also have processors to convert two channel amps into surround sound, but these are usually very expensive. So why hasn't any of the bigger brands produced a integrated multi-channel amplifier, minus the radio bit? Perhaps they have but very few, if any, exist. This could be a niche market...

I am almost the opposite. Rather than waiting for companies to make 5.1 (or 7.1) systems as fragmented as possible (seperate boxes for everything), I want the perfect "do absolutely everything" box to come along. One slot for any digital disk from CD to Blu-ray, FM/DAB/DAB+/Internet radio, an internal DAC with USB and optical and coax inputs, HDMI, DVD upscaling, BBC iPlayer access, Freeview HD and Freesat HD tuners, a built in HDD for recording, wireless, and and a 'pre-out' for connecting to active speakers (or power amps) should the whim ever take me that way :)

I have become a great fan of the new generation of 'music-centres' that have started to appear and want them to go a lot further with the concept until all I need to do is plug in a monitor and some speakers.

(Oops, forgot...and iPhone/iPod connectivity both wired and wireless.)

Well its definately the way its going and the Marantz is a good example of the direction. I do think that one day the whole lot could be contained into one television, jsut plug the speakers in the back and away you go, however technology is going to have to move on considerably to produce small enough components to do that. We already have very small amps on the market, Class t and class D or whatever.

Samsung, e.t.c do you accept the challenge

Gladiators ready!

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
plastic penguin said:
I think a high quality integrated amp, without the need for a processor or separate receiver, that'll play two channel as well as 5.1 or 7.1 could be a hit.

could be but sadly isn't... [click me]

Not at that price - who could afford that? I couldn't.

yeah, it is expensive. but I guess it's the only multichannel integreated amp I've ever heard of. definitely not the most trendy design...

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Plastic, man... you have way too much time on your hands man.... you take , what days to think these up ?

lol and
smiley-cool.gif
at the same time.... you ALWAYS get em talking bro
smiley-laughing.gif

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Plastic Penguin - couldn't agree with you more. I asked the same question a long time ago. From a hi-fi perspective you have a two-channel amp. Why can't the vendors produce a module to allow 5-channel surround sound. WHF always say that receivers will never do two-channel music justice (unless of very high price/spec), therefore a hi-fi enthusiast ends up buying both items to get good music and movies - more clutter less convenience. Trouble is most people are more that happy with the two-channel sound put out by your average receiver so that's what is merketed

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Arcam produced a multichannel board to be dealer-fitted into some of its more upmarket stereo amps, which could then be used with an add-on three-channel version of one of its stereo power amps to give a five-channel purist amp. As far as I know this is no longer available.

And of course we gave a 2005 Award to Yamaha's DSP-AX757SE, which was a UK-only tunerless AV amp.

T

the record spot

Think this was the DAVE module that went into the Alpha 10 amp wasn't it Andrew? Denon's amp that Chebby linked to which came out in the early 2000s enjoyed an upgrade from Denon that owners could send back and - for £800 - brought up to current spec. You can pick up said Denon for around £300 - not bad given it was several times that on release!

I've been saying for a while now that I'll jump at an amp that'd give HD audio capability in two channel. Chebby's earlier post is where I'm at, but manufacturer's will build to customer demand - not everyone's going to want it all (sadly!).

Andrew Everard said:
the record spot said:
Think this was the DAVE module that went into the Alpha 10 amp wasn't it Andrew?

Yes, that's the one.

That name just makes me laugh.

Arcam also, I seem to remember from 2004, had 5.1 and 7.1 board as an option for the P90. This is the problem, most are options. If Arcam or Leema produced a multi-channel integrated for around 1k I would certainly consider it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts