A CD Shaver? Oh Dear!

Gray

I've seen quite a few of his videos - he's a modest and likeable bloke.
We all know that the discs will not sound different.
However, I think that he's actually misunderstood the reason why some people think that they should.
He shows that the before and after Audacity traces are the same - and gives that, specifically, as the reason why the sound doesn't change.

I'm pretty sure the believers would say that those waveforms should look the same (because error correction has made sure that they do).
They say that it's because the error correction works harder, that the sound is worse.

As for his theory that shaving the edge might cure off- centre discs, how could it?
If the centre hole is not centered, no amount of edge shaving will change that.

One thing he's got right. It's a pointless device.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Dom
I've seen quite a few of his videos - he's a modest and likeable bloke.
We all know that the discs will not sound different.
However, I think that he's actually misunderstood the reason why some people think that they should.
He shows that the before and after Audacity traces are the same - and gives that, specifically, as the reason why the sound doesn't change.

I'm pretty sure the believers would say that those waveforms should look the same (because error correction has made sure that they do).
They say that it's because the error correction works harder, that the sound is worse.

As for his theory that shaving the edge might cure off- centre discs, how could it?
If the centre hole is not centered, no amount of edge shaving will change that.

One thing he's got right. It's a pointless device.
Indeed...always wondered where they got 36 degrees from..... Should have been 45 :)

manicm

Maybe, maybe not, but remember Sony notoriously introduced DRM into CDs? One example was Roger Waters' compilation Flickering Flame - CD ROM drives could not read it to prevent copying. But there was one touted solution that actually worked - taking a marker around the circumference. I tried it and it worked.

So lasers could be manipulated it seemed. And one of the leading British hifi magazines (not whf) tested a CD ring or somesuch that they claimed made a positive difference.

Stranger things have happened.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts