A bit scared to take the plunge and get an amp without tone controls: Cyrus one ?

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
I tend to always tweak treble as I like it to be really crisp and vibrant. I know that most folks say you shouldn't need tone controls with good equipment. I'm wondering if I upgrade to an amp without tone controls - in my sights is a Cyrus One - will I be left wishing I still had them? I don't want to have to source a Schiit Loki (a box that gives you tone controls) - anyone know the Cyrus One well enough to be able to tell me what the treble delivery is like?

Go audition, it's the only way if you're never happy with an amp playing straight. What they think of the treble may not be the same to your ears.
If you're spending good money you want to get it right first time.
You don't even mention your speakers.

D

Deleted member 116933

I tend to always tweak treble as I like it to be really crisp and vibrant. I know that most folks say you shouldn't need tone controls with good equipment. I'm wondering if I upgrade to an amp without tone controls - in my sights is a Cyrus One - will I be left wishing I still had them? I don't want to have to source a Schiit Loki (a box that gives you tone controls) - anyone know the Cyrus One well enough to be able to tell me what the treble delivery is like?
Don’t take this the wrong way, but if tone. Controls are important why not have a short list of some that do and go from there.

tbh if there not well implemented and quite a few arent then they really aren’t worth the scratch.

as said above go and have a chat with a dealer.

rainsoothe

+ 1 for auditioning and everything that's been said above.

About the Cyrus One - Cyrus gear is known to be bright sounding (which seems to be the kind of sound you like), but the One does not have that "in-your-face" crispness. On the other hand, that could be influenced by the rest of the system, so only an audition would solve the mystery.

Cambridge Audio CXA81 might be right up your alley, or Yamaha amps (AS 701 or 801 or sh 1100 or better) if you wanna keep using tone controls.

+ 1 for auditioning and everything that's been said above.

About the Cyrus One - Cyrus gear is known to be bright sounding (which seems to be the kind of sound you like), but the One does not have that "in-your-face" crispness. On the other hand, that could be influenced by the rest of the system, so only an audition would solve the mystery.

Cambridge Audio CXA81 might be right up your alley, or Yamaha amps (AS 701 or 801 or sh 1100 or better) if you wanna keep using tone controls.
Still waiting for OP to come back with why he wants to move away from tone controls in the first place........

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Still waiting for OP to come back with why he wants to move away from tone controls in the first place........
It's not that I have a specific aim to move away from having tone controls - it's that I am looking to upgrade my amp and all the ones I have researched in my price range and that have good reviews have no tone controls

It's not that I have a specific aim to move away from having tone controls - it's that I am looking to upgrade my amp and all the ones I have researched in my price range and that have good reviews have no tone controls
Thanks for getting back with that.
It's going to be a tricky one if you love your treble, really the only way is to go out and audition.
What is your budget?

rainsoothe

Yes I may audition but I have read a few horror stories recently about the build quality of some of the Cambridge amps
Might just be isoated cases. You should defo demo - the CXA81 too, since you could cover the gap by selling the irdac. Alternatively, you could look for an ex-dem or sh Naim Nait 5si if you find the CA much too bright. For a more relaxing listen, Marantz and Yamaha are the ones to consider.

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
Take a 'free' test of life without tone controls. Buy a Musical Fidelity B1 on fleabay. I had one (yes, just one) for 30 years. Actually, after 20 years I was so worried that I would lose this wonderful amp if it died, I bought another as a spare.

It was described, at launch, as "unnecessarily good" by a magazine that had few reviews of hardware, 80% music on 12", so concentrated on quality.

You will sell it, if you decide to, for the same or more, than you paid. I did this with my 'spare' when I was forced to get an amp with digital/optical inputs.

Hopefully, your experience with the B1 will lead you to get an amp as neutral as poss, with no tone controls or at very least, with a 'straight thru' switch.

You will find that the voicing of your music is principally modified by choosing speakers that please your ears and taste. Speakers designed to emphasise top end ...

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I liked the Cyrus one cast I reviewed. But it’s definetely not bright. Pretty neutral. class D does is unique in dealing with tonal mass and not as thick set as class a and ab, but it’s hardly a thing to decide on, with the Cyrus so good. enjoy, ps hope you bought hd model if you already have the node as same amp to one cast.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts