A better dac..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking about buying the v-psu 2 for my v-dac 2, it costs 150 pound's and is said to improve the performence of the v-dac, trouble is i cant help but think that i should just save the money and buy a rega dac or maybe a musical fidelity m1 dac, would either of those dac's be a step up from a v-dac 2/v-psu 2 combo? I like the sound of my dac it's just a little laid back for my liking, i want a bit more bass and attack.

A

Anonymous

The rega is top of my list if decide to not add the psu, it's a great dac, i just need to decide if spending the cash will be worth it.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
jimm said:
i cant help but think that i should just save the money and buy a rega dac or maybe a musical fidelity m1 dac, would either of those dac's be a step up from a v-dac 2/v-psu 2 combo?

To hazard a guess:

M1 - I doubt it -- main difference IIRC compared to the V-DAC (1) is the balanced outputs and the case

Rega - yes definitely

Audiolab DQ worth a listen? -- different flavour to the Rega and "state of the art" DAC chip

I'm very impressed with the Audio-gd I've just got. A similar, but higher spec DAC chip than the Rega for quite a lot less money! As a V-series owner, I found the V-PSU does improve things quite a bit especially in the bass. But ultimately, the slight thinness to the sound across the board and the digital glare/harshness in the top end got to me.

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I would sell up and put it towards a better dac. I have a Rega dac and I'm very happy with it.

Audio-gd stuff is good value. Was tempted myself but decided on the rega and cs was a factor - I didn't fancy shipping anything back to china if it went belly up. I have a rega dealer just round the corner and if there is a problem I can just drop it off and it will get sorted.

Mdac looks interesting, but they seem mighty thin on the ground (not one punter has one yet, the first 150 are shipping over as we type). I think it will be sometime early next year before they are easily available as they are the new 'flavour of the month' dac and everyone is trying to get one or get on a pre order list.

M2tech Young dac looks good. Was tempted with one myself before I settled on the rega dac.

As you know there are a lot of dacs out there at the moment. All the better for us consumers.

Plenty of reviews out there so get stuck in to researching, or if you can audition even better.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely recommend an upgrade to the M2Tech Young Dac.

If this Dac had been produced by a more household name, it would be splashed across the forums as the best VFM Dac out there.

I have heard the Rega Dac after reading all the hype, and IMO the M2tech is chalk and cheese. Yes more expensive, but not hugely and worth every penny extra as its in a different league. Many are comparing it to Dacs priced over the 2K mark, and for around the £900 price it can be had for (i got mine for £780!) that is some performance.

Just my tuppence worth but one from experience. ;)

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
:?
garyw77 said:

If this Dac had been produced by a more household name, it would be splashed across the forums as the best VFM Dac out there.

I have heard the Rega Dac after reading all the hype, and IMO the M2tech is chalk and cheese. Yes more expensive, but not hugely and worth every penny extra as its in a different league. Many are comparing it to Dacs priced over the 2K mark, and for around the £900 price it can be had for (i got mine for £780!) that is some performance.

Great DAC to bring into the mix but I thought they cost around £1200?? Would have given it a look myself if I'd seen one for nearer £800.

------------------------

You already have a good DAC. The PSU will improve it. With the PSU it is still in the "DAC bracket" bellow the Rega but that isn't the great chasm in quality some will make out.

The Rega is a well respected DAC that already has a good quality psu but you really should pick a budget and demo dacs. If none of the DACs in your budget give enough of an upgrade for the outlay for you then just upgrade the PSU on your current DAC. If you are buying based on opinions you might as well just by the What Hi Fi recommended DAC within the budget you can afford that is easily available to you.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
dannycanham said:
:?
garyw77 said:

Great DAC to bring into the mix but I thought they cost around £1200?? Would have given it a look myself if I'd seen one for nearer £800.

------------------------

Well i just looked quickly and saw that it's available for £866 plus postage from Italy where they are made 8)

I got mine early doors from Germany ;)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
VinylRush said:
... or if you can audition even better.

In fact, Audio-gd have a UK distributor (no affiliations!) that carry some stock and will let you return the kit for up to 28 days if you're not satisfied. For me it was less hassle to just get one in to demo at home than traipsing around looking for Rega dealers, or joining the queue for an Audiolab. I think it's a "keeper" though!

The Audio-gd has a good solid sound--the instruments have body and texture and it's very free of digital harshness for the price. I think it addresses just what I felt was unsatisfactory about the V-DAC, without the stress of having stepped into the realms of the hi-end.

No doubt the Young could be a contender in the next class up, but it's a slippery road to ruin...if I was going to blow that much cash, I'd tell myself to just go the whole hog: feed my family beans on toast for the next few years, have no holidays, give up my other hobby, and get something like the Lite Audio Dac 83 or better still, the latest Sugden CD player and matching speakers...or the Leema Tucana range, or check out some real esoteric exotica...

You have to draw the line somewhere. I'm now "burning in" this DAC upstairs on my 2nd system--a Creek 4330 I picked up for £100 and the speaks are my first proper HiFi speakers wacked sideways at different heights on the nearest bookshelf (JPW Sonata--current market value: £15-20?) and guess what, the music sounds bleedin' great! Can't stop listening. I've had these speakers for 20 years and always thought they were pretty crap until today...could never understand why they were a best buy in some mag or other... :D

A system that makes music sound good and doesn't cost a kidney = "peace"

Over and out!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replys, i am going to try the mf v=psu 2, at 150 pound's it's worth seeing what impact it will have on my dac, if i am not happy ill buy a rega dac and sell my mf kit.

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
dannycanham said:

If you get in touch with Keith from Purite Audio he may have a mint ex dem Young for about £750. If you say you are Pink Fish forum member you will get £50 off as well ;)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
VinylRush said:
If you get in touch with Keith from Purite Audio he may have a mint ex dem Young for about £750. If you say you are Pink Fish forum member you will get £50 off as well ;)

He might also ask you to keep quiet about it ;)

A what fish forum?

Never heard of the place :D

Haggy792

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Hate to hijack someone elses postings but the DAC question is generating lots of feedback and I need some help on this subject in my posting "Blank Canvas" if someone wouldn't mind adding their thoughts please.

help.gif

A

Anonymous

Audio-GD NFB2 has built a solid reputation among DIY audio guys who usually care much about build quality and internal parts.

Apart from the top of line Wolson 32-bit DAC chip, NFB2 is based on a discrete class A amplification stage with Toshiba's JFET imput transistors; dedicated complex class A PSUs for each critical stage, and; other high quality parts, like Wima (MKP and MKT), Rover (eletro type) and Evox Rifa (MKT) capacitors, Dale and Vishay metal film resistors and R-Core type trasformer.

I was about to purchase it but I eventually pulled the trigger on an Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC. Anyway, I have no doubt NFB2 is a very fine DAC.

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at the NFB-2 before I got the Rega DAC.

Ticked all the boxes for me, but because I decided to get a full Rega setup I decided on the DAC to go with it.

I've no doubt the NFB-2 is one of the best VFM DAC's out there.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I was going to say to jimm...I tried my v-dac with a Maplins linear power supply for a few quid and that was also a reasonable improvement over the stock wall wart. At least it made the v-dac run cooler! I'm not sure the v-psu was miles above that, I lost interest in comparing. So that's another option (as if you needed an extra option!! :D ).

The Audio-gd/other DACs is probably a whole new thread. I like to hear people's first-hand experience of gear that doesn't usually make it into the mags. I think Vinyl Rush hits the nail on the head by saying there's a lot of good DACs out there--all good for the customer (us)! I wouldn't diss the Rega. Perhaps with dealer margins they have slightly cheaper stuff in the box than, say Audio-gd who have no dealer chain, but my gut feeling is that the established hifi brands have more experience in tuning their gear and squeezing every last drop of musicality out of it. Not to mention system synergy. And a good dealer who saves you time and money by pointing you in the right direction is, for many people, worth paying for.

A

Anonymous

Thank's for the reply, im just going to buy the v-psu 2 and live with my system for a while, i have only had my kef Q100's for a week and there just starting to sound really nice, if i did plump for a new dac in the new year i would not want to spend more than 500 pound's, that's why the rega is top of my list :grin:

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Good idea, the V-DAC (2) is a solid DAC, upgrading the PSU is a definite improvement.

DAC technology is developing all the time and it's wise not to rush, especially if you've just got new speaks.

Nice one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts