8200CDQ with Primare a30.2 a good match or not ?

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Good morning all,

After a week-long demo of the 8200CDQ, I've just taken the plunge and ordered one - it sounded fantastic, shaded my Rega Jupiter in all areas, and the difference it made to my Sonos (over my current Beresford 7510) was quite marked, but the things that really swung it for me were the fact that it's also a pre-amp, and the headphone amplifier is just incredible ! Couldn't believe the difference between it's output and the headphone jack on my 8000S, it was like the 8000S was buried in mud compared.

So anyway, I'll be selling my Jupiter, 8000S and the Beresford (which helps nicely in justifying the cost of the new unit), but am also toying with selling the 8000P and replacing it with a new power amp, if poss.

I've seen a Primare a30.2 on t' net and could be sorely tempted. I won't be able to demo it as it's a few hundred miles away and am wary of buying blind as I don't know jow ell they go together.

So....anybody got any idea of how they might sound together ??

Have asked the place I got the CDQ, who told me they're a bad match as the Primare is bright and thin sounding, but then of course they want to sell me some 8200MBs ! But then I'm reading other reviews that say it's smooth and lovely !

Help !

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks John....and come on Mr Clough, wherever you are !

I know what you mean about the dealer, sounds like pretty much anything they don't sell would be unsuitable ! Mustn't be too unfair on them though, they let me have it for a week and then knocked £120 off when I ordered one....and to be fair, the reply I got re the Primare wasn't from the main guy I've been dealing with, who sounds pretty straight up.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi baz,

Sure. I find them pretty neutral, so (especially with accurate, undistorted speakers like my ATCs) you get a good sense of what is upstream, so with CD31 -> pre30, plenty of detail and imaging, with the Onkyo -> A30.5, a little brighter, with more attack. I'd say they're very slightly on the 'warm' sound of neutral, so you get a musical, non-fatiguing sound. They're also effortlessly good with dynamics, seems to be plenty of spare power on tap even at high volumes.

Basically, if you like the sound of your 8200CDQ and your speakers, the Primare should be ideal. If you're trying to tweak things or offset difficulties in the rest of the system, you may need to be careful. I should say, I've not really listened to the Audiolab, so can't comment on any particular synergy between the two.

If you get it for a good price, you're unlikely to be disappointed. Also, Primare seems to retain its value well, so you're unlikely to lose much with a good price even if you ultimately go in another direction.

Cheers,

Ben

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ben,

Great, thanks very much for that. Basically I've had my current set-up for years, with the only things I've actually bought new being the Silver RS8s (until the CDQ arrives). I really like the sound of my system in general, I like the clarity and detail it gives, but if I'm honest I've always thought it just slightly too clinical/bright, and a bit tiring after prolongued listening, and wouldn't mind at all if it was smoothed out a bit. The Rega Jupiter I'm about to sell is lovely and smooth, but the CDQ has so much more to offer, (the fact that it's a pre, DAC, CD player and incredible headphone amp) as well as sounding pretty amazing.

We'll see how the bidding goes, I may well take a punt, and I doubt I'll be disappointed !

Baz

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Alas, the price went that bit too high for me (it went for £625), and I bottled it !

Will be keeping my eyes open though...

In the meantime one of the guys at the dealer has mentioned that he is selling his Tact SDA2175 power amp....200w digital amp, apparently HiFi World product of the year etc.....may well give it a demo once the CDQ is run in nicely, we'll see.

Anybody heard of this amp, or even better, heard it !??

Baz

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
That's a shame baz. Looks like it went for a reasonable price, but certainly not a bargain. With the new a34.2 coming out you might start to see some more a33.2s coming onto the market.

I've heard good things about the tact amps but not heard them myself.

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ben,

Yep, sounded a fair price actually, but as you say, not a bargain....I was certainly tempted but couldn't bring myself to do it after laying out £830 on the CDQ, plus all the "but I thought youy already had an amplifier ?" from Mrs. Baz etc !

Will certainly be keeping my eye out though, and may be demo'ing the Tact amp once the CDQ is run in.

Baz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts