80% sold on the B&W 685 Theatre......but considering the 684 Theatre - which one should I choose?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I know there are a number of threads out there on this subject, but I need some upto date advise.

After reading just good thinks about the 685 Theatre, I found a dealer who's offered me a very good price on the following setup;

4 x B&W 685
1 x B&W HTM 62
1 x B&W ASW 610

This is a new setup for me, and so I'd need stands too. So with that in mind I asked for a price on the 684 Theatre (as a comparison) in the following setup;

2 x B&W 684
2 x B&W 685
1 x B&W HTM 62
1 x B&W ASW 610

The price difference is around 450 Euros (I'm out in Europe), which when you take away the price of a stand set isn't considerably more than the 685s.

So I was wondering; are the 684s really a worthy upgrade and justify the cost? or should I just stick with the 4 x 685 setup.

I'll be driving it from a Denon 2311 (when I can find one.....) as i've got a 3D setup.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else who's running 684s in a similar configuration.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Phil.

A

Anonymous

it will depend on the size of tour room, but the 684's are great, even their look is
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks. The entire room is 42m (137 feet?) square, however one half is the dining room.

The lounge / TV area is is around 24m (78 feet) square.

A

Anonymous

A dealer just got back to me today about the 2311, and apparently it's not going to be avaiable until the end of July or early August...... :-(

Although in the US, it seems to be available now.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
philhum:
So I was wondering; are the 684s really a worthy upgrade and justify the cost? or should I just stick with the 4 x 685 setup.

Ofcourse, with 684s. As far as I understand in the same series, the floor standers give more fully body sound (some how, I always felt that book shelf never did right justice). I had a 686 in fronts for some times and it was just rubbish. I heard 685 and it was never sufficient. 684s were perfect for me then, but with good luck I got the CM7 at a nice price! I have my set up in under 35 Sqm. So your speakers will breath more easily!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Wishtree.

That's what I thought, however although there's not a 684 Theatre set available, I don't see any reviews of it yet, although the 684s on their own received good marks. I'll go and audition them both in a couple of weeks time; that will be the decisive test.

The receiver delay has got me thinking about alternatives (August is a while to wait.....).

I want HDMI 1.4 (as I've got a 3D TV) and in addition to the Denon 2311, I am looking at the Onkyo TX-NR708, but it also seems too new to have any reviews yet. Will continue my research though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts