7Digital - mixed reviews on Trustpilot. Are they okay?

RayP

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I want to download quality music files (16-bit FLAC, possibly 24-bit) and 7Digital looked a good site following this magazine's review of them back in 2016. But looking at their reputation on TrustPilot there are several complaints that the files downloaded are not the quality they claim to be. For example, 16-bit FLAC turn out to be hardly better than MP3.

Given this forum is full of people enthusiastic about music quality is 7Digital best avoided? If so can anyone recommend an alternative please. I want to download a FLAC file, not stream.

Gray

As you probably know Ray, the quality of the original recording will always be more influential to sound quality than the playback format (leaving aside Edison wax cylinders).
So that might explain CD quality sounding like mp3 to some of those reviewers.

While they were around, I bought a few hi-res downloads from TechnicsTracks which used 7 Digital as the supplier, never a problem for me.
However, I can advise that I also spent a considerable amount of money on downloads from HighRes Audio.....then had occasion to test their customer service. I can say, without hesitation that it was the worst customer relations performance I've experienced from any company.
They knew that I was unhappy, it would have cost them very little to put things right....but they were happy to leave me unhappy.
(If there's any moderator reading this, don't worry about them not being able to give their side of the story - believe me, they wouldn't want the story aired).

So based on my (admittedly indirect) experience of 7 Digital Ray, I wouldn't hesitate to use them - but if I were you, I wouldn't spend too much of a premium on hi-res options.

RayP

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi Gray, many thanks for your post and advice. Just so you know what influenced me here's the link... https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/7digital.com

Using a spectrum analyser seems to confirm MP3s were being passed as FLAC which if true is pretty reprehensible. But your post is helpful in knowing there are some satisfied customers.

I've downloaded a demo 24-bit Hi-Res from HDTracks before they went out of business and to be honest it wasn't night and day better than 16-bit. And that's with a BlueSound Node 2i, Naim Supernait 3 and B&W CM4 speakers.

I ended up buying 2 CDs from Amazon. One is Legacy by David Bowie. Amazon charged £14.59 for a double CD whereas 7Digital is charging £17.99 for the 16-bit FLAC download and describes each track as 'Remastered'. I suppose I'm taking a chance that the CD will be the same quality as the 'remastered' tracks from 7digital. But being a Bowie album you would hope they've looked after the master.

I'll try a 16-bit FLAC download from 7digital and see how I get on. If it is MP3 quality it will be obvious.

Gray

Those reviews in your link are interesting. Reading the accusations you're thinking, surely not.
Then you read one saying he was happy that they admitted the 'error'!
You'd think they'd confirm the quality before passing on the files they receive from the record companies. (An unforgivable error - really not good for gaining the trust of potential customers).
I've seen suggestions that some HD tracks hi-res were upsampled from CD - something they always strongly denied - just as well at the prices they were charging.
One thing I liked about TechnicsTracks was they allowed you to have single-track downloads from albums. Not sure if 7 Digital do that (though I know not everyone would want the facility).
And when they folded they gave 'loyal' customers £50 worth of free download.
That allowed me to get 24/192 'Songs In The Key Of Life' (which I wouldn't have otherwise done due to already having CD and vinyl versions).
Most of the stuff I listen to has had analogue tape in the chain. Surely there's no reason for that latest Bowie album not to be a perfect, all-digital transfer to hi-res file. But, as you say, the mastering can make or break things.

Good luck with your trial download. Let us know what you think.

D

Deleted member 188533

I've used Bandcamp quite a bit and they offer lossless download formats for most artists. Quality is always great to my ears. Selection may be somewhat limited though depending on what kind of music you like.

RayP

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I've used Bandcamp quite a bit and they offer lossless download formats for most artists. Quality is always great to my ears. Selection may be somewhat limited though depending on what kind of music you like.

Thanks. I’m struggling to find any albums from established groups. Only singles appear to be available.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts