Question 78's won't play all the way through

mrsengie

Jun 8, 2020
Visit site
My turntable says it will play 78's but the player stops before it's reached the end of the vinyl. Why?
It's a modern turntable and not a very expensive one but after doing some research one suggestion is I need to buy a turntable with a manual return rather than an automatic which my modern one has. Would this solve the problem?
I have a large collection of 78's gifted to me and I'd love to listen to them but some get to the end and others don't - it just seems to depend on how far from the inner cut out circle the groove finishes.

Gray

one suggestion is I need to buy a turntable with a manual return rather than an automatic which my modern one has. Would this solve the problem?
Yes it would, because, on those, you decide when the arm gets lifted!

There will (almost certainly) be an adjustment on the automatic mechanism within yours - which would allow any record to play well into it's runout grooves before auto arm lift / platter stop - you may decide that your TT is good enough for you.

Last edited:

daytona600

78/45/33 , Auto lift & usb to record 78s & will not bank the bank
fitted with a 0.7mil stereo stylus for 33/45 & add a ortofon 2M 78 stylus 3.0mil for playing 78/shellac mono discs
Special 78-Stylus , Exclusively intended for playing the much wider grooves of 78 rpm records. Standard Stereo & Microgroove records can be irreparably damaged when played with a 78 Stylus

Or good used 70s used japanese Direct Drive for 100quid most like technics press the 33&45 button @ the same time & they play @ 78

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts