7.1 v 5.1 Surround sound - what are the advantages?

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Ok ..so I'm about to upgrade ....I've decided on buying a Onkyo 875 Reciever ....front speakers will probably be a pair of Kef IQ 5's (or similar) ..centre speaker will be a Kef Q 6C ...I already have a much loved pair of Wharfedale "Super Diamonds for rear channel use + a Ruark Vita Sub ...I also have an identically sized pair of original Wharfedale Diamonds (Mk 2 versions I think) in storage - as my current Sony receiver has only a 5.1 capability

Assuming I'm not dragged through the divorce courts (!!) ..would I find a worthwhile difference adding the original Diamonds as a side (or rear pair) in a 7.1 set up? All the surrounds will be placed high up my wall on brackets.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I guess the key question is how often do you watch movies? I'm a film nut, and run nine speakers and a sub (including two extra front presence speakers running off a Yamaha Z9 AV amp), because (along with my projector) it immerses me more in movies and gives a more cinematic feel.

Surround panning is more complete in action moments, and atmospheric scenes boosted, too.

And with the new HD formats offering up the potential of full 7.1 sound on Blu-ray and HD DVD discs, it's a good time to be buying a suitably specified receiver like the Onkyo.

As you have the speakers, i'd urge you to try it out. And high on the wall on brackets should be great - angle them slightly towards your listening position and you're away.

A

Anonymous

depends mainly on size of your room. in a large room there are more dead spaces between speakers, where if, say, a helicopter was circling you it would appear to take big leaps. in wide rooms a 6.1 set up will fill the gap between the rears, and in a long room a 7.1 will fill the gap between front and rear.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have just purchased the Onkyo 905 and have 2 mission speakers on the front, 2 xKEF at the rear and a REL quake sub (I know- bit of a mixture). With the new receiver I want to take advantage of 7.1. Can anyone recommend some speakers for the sides. I don't have a budget for a complete new system, hence the mixture!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts