6XP Upgrade?

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

I wanted to know if anyone had any opinions on this? I have a Cyrus 6XP which i run with a Dacmagic. I'm looking to upgrade the 6XP at a later date. Would it be better to upgrade to a 8XPd and sell the Dacmagic or keep it and just upgrade to a 8XP? Also does adding a power PSX-R increase the power output on the 8XP or is that just on the power amps?

Cheers. Ed

A

Anonymous

The DACmagic may be a better DAC than d in Cyrus. I would keep the DACmagic for the moment until you can stretch to Q DAC or even DACX. What are you sources as the DAC in CD8SE is better than Q DAC but if you're not using CD player there is little point in thinking about that?

PSX-R does not improve power on an integrated amp, it separates the power supply of the pre and power parts of the amplifier thus improving sound quality.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ed

It depends on your long term plans. If you're keeping the box count down, then yes, an 8xp (or 8xpd if you need an inboard DAC) would be a good move. If you're not worried about the box count, you can either add a power amplifier like the 8 Power or X Power, which will drive your speakers better than your current 6xp, or add a pre-amplifier like the PreXp (or PreXpd if you need an inboard DAC), which will improve overall quality. Sometime down the road you can then sell the 6xp and add a dedicated power amplifier.

Which speakers are you running?

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm running MA rs1's but plan to be a proud owner of some ATC SCM11's in the not too distant future, hence the amp upgrade when i can afford it. I think the cheapest option would be to send the 6XP into Cyrus and have it upgraded to an 8 (£399) and in the future add a power amp and psx-r.

Cheers Ed

sweety7272

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I think your plan sounds good - £400 to upgrade sounds like a reasonable deal. The other option you have as earlier posters suggested would be to use your 6XP as a pre, and add a power amp. If you did that, I'd say go straight for the X-power - if you don't you'll just be tempted to upgrade again later! If you are open to repro / 2nd hand, then these do come up reasonably frequently and can be had for about £500s'hand or £700 repro. That then would allow you to sell on the 6XP at some point in the future, and swap it out for a dedicated pre. And then the world is your oyster!

Either way, I think you'll really enjoy the Cyrus / ATC mix, it's a very popular combo.

TRENDING THREADS