685 S2 setup for Heavy Metal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the Monitor Audio Silver 6 a much better speaker for metal? Here in the Netherlands very popular. Tannoy XT6f possible too, but here in the Netherlands not popular. There are not many people here who like the Tannoy sound.

Pedro Mion said:
Besides:

B&W CM1's S2 B&W Sub 8' 200W Marantz PM - 8005 Cables

Am I missing something?
Hi Pedro,

While I realise you may have seen reviews on YouTube, watching demos tells you zip - there is no substitute for listening to the gear itself. Can you do that?

And your 'interface' isn't something I know about. Is that a line level output from a computer? A digital output might be better, via a DAC, to get the best sound.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree virtually all the videos on youtube even of top end hifi systems sound dreadful, I have endured a few. The only ones that are any good are sent direct to a soundcard but thats no good for speakers. So I would forget about youtube for speakers.

I would buy the best amp. you can afford, buying cheap is a waste of money unless you buy used. Buy a decent system and then enjoy it for years.

manicm

Adding a subwoofer brings additional complexities, unless you're buying a matched speaker system. The Cambridge Audio Minx22/X301 is an excellent pairing - but the sub must be in a corner from my experience.

I've heard the previous CM1s and they're decidedly not a rock speaker. Why not also consider the new Dynaudio Emit 10??

But as others have said - the proof is in the listening.

I went to a Magnolia store, I wasnt that impressed at all with 80's heavy metal, I tested the 685 and the cm1...I think any speaker would be good with such a bad and compressed record music.

Maybe in the future, some of the heavy metal albums will be better recorded

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You are now in the states and coming to UK? I don't see the point of buying there and taking on a plane. Wait until you arrive in UK and then audition here. You may well have warranty problems if you do that, not to mention damage in transit and insurance issues. Doubt you will get a sub on a plane not without some expensive excess baggage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts