685 S2 setup for Heavy Metal

Hi,

After spending more then 100 hours watching videos in youtube and reading all forums, I decided that I want the 685 s2 + B&W 8' sub 200W to be apart of my setup. (I dont have time to go to the store and listen to them because I will return to my home country in August)

Now it comes the hard part for me , I am a huge heavy metal fan (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Black Sabbath..etc) and I need to choose the best amp to match my 685 s2 and sub.

I've listed some of the amps that I have tought to be the best ones

-Denon PM1520ae

-Marantz PM-8005

-Peachtree Nova 125se

I really would like to know which one would be better for Heavy Metal and would be the best match with my B&W setup! Im not an expert on it, so it would be really nice to hear your opnions!

Thanks in advance for everything!!

Hi Pedro and welcome to the forum...I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but to be honest manufacturers don't make electronics and speakers to be exceptionally good at one genre.....you really must get out and listen to some of the products on your list.Also most metal (from the 80's)isn't of the greatest production and is going to sound a bit thin....Iron Maiden is one of those ime..I am fond of some metal....Metallica,sabbath,even have been known to shake my head to a bit of machine head.lol,and all I can really say is that most of my albums has sounded better as I have moved up the ladder of upgrades.I don't really rate the b&w 685's 2's and think you'd be better looking at some used cm5's or new cm1's2,if you plan on using a sub(check out the bk Gemini mk2,you can save some cash),and get the best amp you can afford,the marantz pm8005 would /should be a good contender . I'd love to give more input but I really must get to work.lol.I'm sure others have plenty of ideas.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Are you saying you already have the speakers?

My guess is that Heavy Metal isn't so demanding on the audiophile side of things, but you'll want something with a fair old grunt.

jjbomber

Pedro Mion said:
Hi,

After spending more then 100 hours watching videos in youtube and reading all forums, I decided that I want the 685 s2 + B&W 8' sub 200W to be apart of my setup. (I dont have time to go to the store and listen to them because I will return to my home country in August)

Now it comes the hard part for me , I am a huge heavy metal fan (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Black Sabbath..etc) and I need to choose the best amp to match my 685 s2 and sub.

I've listed some of the amps that I have tought to be the best ones

-Denon PM1520ae

-Marantz PM-8005

-Peachtree Nova 125se

I really would like to know which one would be better for Heavy Metal and would be the best match with my B&W setup! Im not an expert on it, so it would be really nice to hear your opnions!

Thanks in advance for everything!!

Marantz would get my vote. If you haven't got the speakers yet, i would be tempted by:

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_MTZ_PM8005_FOC_ARIA906&ID=11363&UNIQUEID=32653265&n=2

Either way you are going to be very happy.

Actually Im in USA, that great deal with the Focal Aria 906 just ship to UK.

I didnt buy the speakers yet, but I tought the 685 s2 would be the best one to deal with heavy metal (comparing to others).

Some new bands like (Gojira , Lamb of god) are recording with more quality, so I think very soon we will be able to listen some good CD's in some good quality HI FI!!

I think I will buy the Marantz then!!

Thanks guys!!

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi Pedro and welcome to the forum...I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but to be honest manufacturers don't make electronics and speakers to be exceptionally good at one genre.....you really must get out and listen to some of the products on your list.Also most metal (from the 80's)isn't of the greatest production and is going to sound a bit thin....Iron Maiden is one of those ime..I am fond of some metal....Metallica,sabbath,even have been known to shake my head to a bit of machine head.lol,and all I can really say is that most of my albums has sounded better as I have moved up the ladder of upgrades.I don't really rate the b&w 685's 2's and think you'd be better looking at some used cm5's or new cm1's2,if you plan on using a sub(check out the bk Gemini mk2,you can save some cash),and get the best amp you can afford,the marantz pm8005 would /should be a good contender . I'd love to give more input but I really must get to work.lol.I'm sure others have plenty of ideas.

Do you think it would be a great upgrade? the CM1's with the same sub?

A lot better than the 685 s2's,more open,detailed,tighter bass etc just a better put together speaker period.But pmc db1i's are better still for around the same money used if you can get your hands on them in the states.Also the original cm5's are pretty good with metal..I used to own a pair and will make a excellent used buy also.

That combo should sound very good.my friend and I demoed the 685's 2's as he had just bought my arcam system from me and needed speakers..he had his heart set on the 685's but when we heard them...I was very unimpressed..he thought they were fine but we asked to hear the cm1's2's anyway and they were in a different ball park.He bought the cm1's.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i would try the marantz pm8005 without a sub first before spending money on a sub that you may not need the pmc speaker's are very good but they are a lot of money i found that using floor standing speaker's is the way to go with heavy metal music as you get some nice low down bass with the drums that works well with metal music as book shelf speaker's will kind of sound like a box that has sound coming out of it and also if you went the floor standing route you would not need a sub in my opion

Blacksabbath25 said:
i would try the marantz pm8005 without a sub first before spending money on a sub that you may not need the pmc speaker's are very good but they are a lot of money i found that using floor standing speaker's is the way to go with heavy metal music as you get some nice low down bass with the drums that works well with metal music as book shelf speaker's will kind of sound like a box that has sound coming out of it and also if you went the floor standing route you would not need a sub in my opion

I read tons of posts of yours during this time!!...do you think I will be glad with this setup?

Blacksabbath25 said:
Pedro Mion said:
Besides:

B&W CM1's S2 B&W Sub 8' 200W Marantz PM - 8005 Cables

Am I missing something?
source... Cdplayer  , record player. , and whether your going to stream music or download music .

can you get hold of a marantz pm8005 if not pm7005 

I will connect the Marantz with my audio interface (Scarllet 2i4)...Im not going to listen any CD on it!!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Pedro Mion said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I read tons of posts of yours during this time!!...do you think I will be glad with this setup?
with me I wanted quality I wanted to hear all of the drums and have very good music separation I wanted to fill the band in my house heavy metal is a heard one to get right I think on the sound front I have nearly nailed it I found that using big floorstanding speakers give me the punch and speed of metal music I have the Dali optcon 8s they are big speakers and have big bass drivers in them so they will give me a double bass drum to sound right and believe me my speakers thunder and then add to that you need a amp that upto it in the first place that's why I said the marantz pm8005 I've got one still but use it as a backup but now use the abrahamsen 2up amp which has a massive power supply which helps with this kind of music and gives me the separation . heavy metal is badly recorded and comes very compressed so this doesn't help much but there are a lot of albums that are well recorded so it's not all bad

Blacksabbath25 said:
Pedro Mion said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

with me I wanted quality I wanted to hear all of the drums and have very good music separation I wanted to fill the band in my house heavy metal is a heard one to get right I think on the sound front I have nearly nailed it I found that using big floorstanding speakers give me the punch and speed of metal music I have the Dali optcon 8s they are big speakers and have big bass drivers in them so they will give me a double bass drum to sound right and believe me my speakers thunder and then add to that you need a amp that upto it in the first place that's why I said the marantz pm8005 I've got one still but use it as a backup but now use the abrahamsen 2up amp which has a massive power supply which helps with this kind of music and gives me the separation . heavy metal is badly recorded and comes very compressed so this doesn't help much but there are a lot of albums that are well recorded so it's not all bad 

The problem is that I will bring this setup in the plane with me! I would love to have floorstanding speakers, buy I would not be allowed to bring them in the plane with me!!

Mark Rose-Smith said:
That combo should sound very good.my friend and I demoed the 685's 2's as he had just bought my arcam system from me and needed speakers..he had his heart set on the 685's but when we heard them...I was very unimpressed..he thought they were fine but we asked  to hear the cm1's2's anyway and they were in a different ball park.He bought the cm1's.

Haha you made me get the CM1 s2 now!! Thanks for the advice!

Glad to help Pedro.....just make sure you don't skimp on the amp...those speakers need decent amplification to sing....they aren't the most efficient speakers out there but that marantz pm8005 Should do nicely and they'll easily handle an upgrade or two further down the line.

The b&w's are rated at 84db @8 ohms..which is a bit inefficient....meaning you'll have to turn the volume on the amp up a bit more than usual than if the speakers were say....88db....that's as easy as I can put it without needing a science degree.lol.Some speakers also thrive on the amp having a large power supply eg 350 va -1000va.My own pmc twenty 21's being in that category.But let's not over complicate things just yet.When looking for amps /speakers people tend to assume it's about the amps wattage output and the speakers wattage rating...it really isn't that simple.Rest easy as the Marantz is up to the job at hand of driving the B&W's with 70 wpc and a 650 va rated toroidal transformer....OH and just enjoy what your about to get yourself and don't worry or even think about the next upgrade for a while yet .it's a slippery expensive uphill slope.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts