64GB USB Flash Drive only £19.99!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Cheers BB

I've been looking for one for a while and this one is still £79.99 in a few shops like Maplin!

(We do seem to be buying similar gear at similar times :grin:)

I'm still struggling to get my DS212J to allow me access from afar - I don't think I've quite got my head around the cloud option.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
I'm still struggling to get my DS212J to allow me access from afar - I don't think I've quite got my head around the cloud option.

There's a few things you need to do:

1. Unless you've been provided with a static IP address by your ISP (very unlikely), then you need to setup Dynamic DNS. In the DDNS option in Control Panel, you can set up a free account with Synology - remember the host name you assign it.

2. You'll need to setup port forwarding and firewall rules on your router to allow the PC to communicate with the NAS across the internet - you may find the Synology can do this for you by going to the Router Configuration option in the Control Panel - this will give you the port you need to open at least for each application you want to access.

3. If you've configured the firewall on the Synology, remember to allow traffic to all Source IPs on the CloudStation port.

4. Once the above is done, the key is then setting up CloudStation to connect to your Diskstation using the host name you set up in point 1 e.g. <something>.synology.me - this means when you're out and about, it will connect to the router's external IP address on that port and the router will then forward the traffic on to your NAS - job done!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to you both.
smiley-smile.gif

I've finally got it working via DSFIle on iPad/iPhone and thanks to BB's link I can get my Ubuntu netbook working.

I won't need it on Windows 7 as that machine is at home.

My problem was using the wrong username logon (I was confused as the Cloud service on the NAS seemed only to be for syncing but that is also the ezconnect log on needed fro DSFile etc).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts