550 for RX6 and 650 for RX8 too good to be true?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This guys has been selling RX6 and RX8 on his user and from the feedback people seem ok.

How can he sell this low? is he legit? can I use my warranty if he is not a dealer?

Would you buy?

I have heard people selling stuff on ebay, get a high rating and then rip people off.

Contacted him and he just said he sells hi-fi stuff, and he has lots of colours in the RX6

cheers
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320555131645&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
1. These are auctions and I'd xpect final bid price to be a bit higher.

The ad itself is not exactly full of detail, and I'd have to question where the items are sourced from.

You might be buying B grade stock without a warranty. Seller is trading in items as a business so should be covered by DSR regulations. In practice though a newish seller like this could disappear before you get the chance to excercise your rights.

One thing in your favour is if you pay by paypal you will be covered if you need to claim your money back.

Maybe ask him for some serial numbers then phone Monitor Audio to find out if there is anything untoward ith them and if covered by warraanty.

The old saying "If it looks too good to be true it usually is"

Rather get some BR6s and look at them in the knowledge that all is ok.

A

Anonymous

That was my first warning sign, if you need anymore info call Ray, and left his mobile?

Very funny. And also they seem to be finishing on 550 and 650, as someone got the RX8 for 650.

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
If you read the guys feedback it is 100% and there are some very expensive hi-fi gear from Quad and others that have some very good feedback comments!! There must be some very trusting buyers out there and lets face it,everyone likes a bargain,if you are looking to purchase it may be worth contacting a few buyers who have purchased the same speakers from him! and see if any probs?

A

Anonymous

This is what he replied when I asked how he got them or does he have a shop as I cant understand how he is selling them for 200 less than on-line, :
£ 550.00 in these hard times is not a joke and is a lot
of money and I would be very worried in parting with this kind of money
to!!!! But please look at my feedback we have excellent feedback and a
lot of very satisfied customers out there!

What I would say that
if you are the winning bidder then come and see us before you part with
your money have a look at the speakers (we will open them up in front of
you) if your not happy then walk away, it is as simple as that!

If
you do not secure the speakers then again dont worry as we have plenty
more pairs in stock, so again you can view the speakers without any
obligation to purchase them.

Cheers

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Canada16 , keep your money in your pocket and move on. There are plenty of other speakers out there that are good buys, and wont give you sleepless nights in the process..

A

Anonymous

Just a sucker for a bargian, thats all.

Not stressed about it, more interested on how he is selling them at this price.

Would be gutted if it was for real and Monitor audio would give the full warranty.

550.00 for some rx6's would fit nice into my upgrade budget

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
d You ask should you go for it. If you've already heard the RX6 and it's a speaker you were thinking of upgrading to if it had not been for seeing it in eBay then I would bid seeing that they were a planned purchase. I really don't know why there's some reason everyone thinks that whenever speakers are advertised at a reasonably reduced price online that people on the forum are paronoid about it being a scam! The fact is, if you're purchsing the speakers through Paypal, which he offers, then you are protected by eBay if the speakers do not arrive or are not in the condition he advertised. The reason why he 'can sell at this price' is simply because he needs to in order to attract potential people like yourself to them - since the Monitor audio RX range are readily available in so many hifi shops there would be little incentive for people to buy them from eBay, even in new condition, if there wasn't a substantial reduction available from the price at retailers where they have full warranty, can be demoed and will have higher resale value. Since it's only a reserve price and the minimum he'd be prepared to accept for them, in these times when Joe public are still quite cautious with regards to their spending, setting a low reserve will make them stand out as a value buy!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
If it was a "buy it now" price then that might seem a little more suspect, but the seller is simply starting bids at £535 and the winning bidder may end up paying considerably more than that.

I agree with comments above: call and ask Ray if a) the speakers come with a manufacturer's warranty; and b) if he can provide the serial numbers of the speakers. Then check with the manufacturer to confirm it's all legit and bid with confidence.

In my experience, you rarely get a bargain on decent audio equipment on ebay. Most people bidding know exactly what they're buying and are usually prepared to offer something close to retail price. In fact, I've seen some crazy bids/sales, where people have paid far above the original retail price for second-hand goods!

A

Anonymous

depending on normal shop markups on MA speakers (I have no idea on percentage - but electronics goods in general have quite a mark-up) it may not be an impossible price.

do check its a pair though ! - I can't see it stating that anywhere.

LEEMCCANN

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
my thoughts on this is that it would be someone who is connected to a supplier. i have a freind who gets a signifcant discount on various brands due to him being a home cinema installer, the equipment is probabily supposed to be installed as part of a full installation but they can probabily order whatever they like once the have passed the inital screening. this may explain the fact they can get more of the same.

id check if you get a warranty and if so i dont see the problem.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I have come across this seller before, and I know one or two manufacturers weren't too happy about him.

If he's claiming to be a business, retailers aren't allowed to distance sell the RX range, so he'll be breaking his dealer agreement, and would lose his dealership. IF he's a dealer.....

LEEMCCANN:my thoughts on this is that it would be someone who is connected to a supplier. i have a freind who gets a signifcant discount on various brands due to him being a home cinema installer, the equipment is probabily supposed to be installed as part of a full installation but they can probabily order whatever they like once the have passed the inital screening. this may explain the fact they can get more of the same.

Custom installers are usually allowed access to custom install products, and aren't usually allowed other products which are only sold through genuine retailers who have a store front. I know of people who have started up their own CI businesses and talked one or two manufacturers into supplying a bit of other stuff here and there, only to be found out that they have been selling it privately or on ebay. Their accounts were closed. If someone isn't authorised to sell a product, chances are, you'll have no warranty.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

I have come across this seller before, and I know one or two manufacturers weren't too happy about him.

If he's claiming to be a business, retailers aren't allowed to distance sell the RX range, so he'll be breaking his dealer agreement, and would lose his dealership. IF he's a dealer.....

LEEMCCANN:my thoughts on this is that it would be someone who is connected to a supplier. i have a freind who gets a signifcant discount on various brands due to him being a home cinema installer, the equipment is probabily supposed to be installed as part of a full installation but they can probabily order whatever they like once the have passed the inital screening. this may explain the fact they can get more of the same.

Custom installers are usually allowed access to custom install products, and aren't usually allowed other products which are only sold through genuine retailers who have a store front. I know of people who have started up their own CI businesses and talked one or two manufacturers into supplying a bit of other stuff here and there, only to be found out that they have been selling it privately or on ebay. Their accounts were closed. If someone isn't authorised to sell a product, chances are, you'll have no warranty.

Hi dave, if you have come accross this guy before then he is probably genuine, or you would advise to stay away I would asume, So he probably as most are saying an installer, but he has never claimed to be a dealer or a shop.

So if he is selling them new, and they have been bought through MA, then surely they would honour the warranty.

So So tempted, was not going to upgrade until I received a long awaited Cheque in a month or two, but could put on a credit card and pay it off when my cheque arrives.

I might call him and see what he says. but would love a bit more info on this guy dave if you have any, 200.00 is a lot of money to save

Thanks so much guys

A

Anonymous

Well he has not responded to my email asking if MA will honour the warranty, but emailed all the previous buyers and they are all happy.

I have emailed MA and asked them if they know who this guy is, and will they honour the warranty, as would hate for something to go wrong after a year, also he is not a registered buisness, so 1 year warranty might not work with this guy.

So if MA say yes they will, they I will be a buying. RX6 and RX Centre in walnut.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
To be honest Canada 16, does any body use there warranty on speakers as if you accidentally poke your finger in to your drivers then the warranty is void and if you over power the speakers and clip them, again the warranty is void, in the 15 years iv been buying speakers I have never used the warranty on any speakers and never add any problems.

So if you can get to listen to them at the buyer's property then you have nothing to lose, I brought a eyris centre speaker brand new off a ebay seller which was £499 I got it for £79 and its fine.

Like most others said, you have pay pal to back you up, if there's a problem you will get your money back, simple.

A

Anonymous

Cant listen to them as they are 186 miles away, but the seller did offer.

Will keep an eye on the seller to see if he is shifting more, and will contact him in about a week as he says he has lots.

Dont want to rush into it, as 550 is a lot of money.

Also been reading some RX6 posts and some people are saying they got them for 600 and 650 on sale at hi-fi shops, I cant even see them lower than 750 on-line, so If I go in with cash, will they lower the price ? or is it just they were lucky.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
canada16:

Cant listen to them as they are 186 miles away, but the seller did offer.

Will keep an eye on the seller to see if he is shifting more, and will contact him in about a week as he says he has lots.

Dont want to rush into it, as 550 is a lot of money.

Also been reading some RX6 posts and some people are saying they got them for 600 and 650 on sale at hi-fi shops, I cant even see them lower than 750 on-line, so If I go in with cash, will they lower the price ? or is it just they were lucky.

If you can't listen to them, you still got paypal to back you up as if the speakers are not what they say they are then you can return them to the seller and paypal will refund your money.

Going in to a hifi store and flashing your cash can help, it worked for me 2 times and a few other times it didn't, I went in to super fi a long time ago and seen a Toshiba DVD player I wanted, they was selling it for £165 and because richer sounds are over the road from them I just kept saying I will go over to see if they have it any cheaper, holding my wallet in my hand, anyway I got it for £95, in richer sounds it was £135 so got it for £40 cheaper, so it can work, what hifi stores have you got by you? as my local hifi shop by me will not shift on any price that they have advertised, so you can guess I never go there lol!

A

Anonymous

See I really hate testing in a shop and them not budging on price and me walking away and buying online.

I have no problems if it currys or comet, but the little hifi shop on the corner, were they spend most of the day with you on a demo, it kinda makes me feel bad.

I live in cardiff and as far as I know there is only 1 hifi shop that sells b&w and MA and thats audio t, I have been given a name to ask for from another forum member.

But it annoys me that this guy is probably an installer and is selling this kit for under 200.00 what they are on-line, so you already know the profit margain is about 200.00 on each set of RX6, so it would annoy me that a shop could not even reduce by 50.00 like you said, and I would not go there again either.

Yes we all need to make money, but I would rely on good word of mouth and customer service and reduce the price a bit.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I know what you saying, I was the same around 2002 when I brought my naim system from my local hifi store they would not shift on price, but I was happy to pay it as I known them personally and always chatted, but now I am way different, I like a bargain a lot better now as I feel a lot better knowing I got it for less cash then the next person.

Iv just checked the ebay link and the seller as really good feedback, so I would say it would be a bargain.

A

Anonymous

michael hoy:
007L2Thrill:

Iv just checked the ebay link and the seller as really good feedback, so I would say it would be a bargain.

Just checked myself, he has no more items for sale.

You would have thought he would have put them back on, what I cant understand is why no one bought them at the bidding price of 535.00? Very strange, I would have though someone would have taken a risk.

I have saved him as a fav seller and will keep and eye to see if he sells anymore, but really hoping Audio-t in cardiff can offer a good deal on the fronts and centre.

Would love the gloss white, but aint paying an extra 150.00 for it.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought my rx6 in black for £635 from my local dealer in manchester. The price was the lowest he could go too about 2 months ago at the date of purchase. He said legit dealers take orders direct from monitor audio with next day delivery. He phoned monitor up there and then for my order which i had the following afternoon. Its worth asking your local dealer for £600-£650 and get them with perfect peace of mind . Good luck m8 they are a quality

A

Anonymous

grifz:
I bought my rx6 in black for £635 from my local dealer in manchester. The price was the lowest he could go too about 2 months ago at the date of purchase. He said legit dealers take orders direct from monitor audio with next day delivery. He phoned monitor up there and then for my order which i had the following afternoon. Its worth asking your local dealer for £600-£650 and get them with perfect peace of mind . Good luck m8 they are a quality

Thats a lot of discount for a new speaker, goes to show how much dealers make if he can sell for 635, and everywere is asking 750 online.

Will push my luck, maybe even travel to swansea if there are any good hi-fi places out there, or even bristol sevenoaks if they can offer a good deal.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The hifi shop was an independant shop not a bigger chain store{sevenoaks} .I think you will have better luck in a smaller local dealer as its his/her personal profit .

TRENDING THREADS