Small listening room 9ft x 9ft - what would you recommend?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice as to how to upgrade my setup. It currently consists of:

Musical Fidelity X-A1 Integrated amp

Cambridge Audio P500 power amp (upgraded)

Technics Slpg-380 cd player (cheapie)

Eltax Monitor III speakers

Russ Andrews Kimber 8 Cables

QED Interconnects (unsure of model, circa £40)

Glass tv/equipment stand (came with Sony TV, very sturdy 2-tier design)

Now my listening room is rather small and meausre just 9ftx9ft so this leads me to believe that I should not bother with floorstanders as I will not get the best out of them in such a small room.

I would like to eventually upgrade the CD player to the matching Musical Fidelity X-Ray model and I would like to get hold of some speaker stands namely Partington Super Dreadnoughts.

The speakers at the moment stand on top of the glass stand.

So far the biggest improvement in listening has come from bi-amping the speakers. I like bass but it is not the be all and end all for me, I am quite happy with how the Eltax have performed bass-wise so far. I can only assume it will get better with proper speakers stands and also better speakers.

I do have access to an Eltax 10" active subwoofer if I feel that I need to add some low-end to the bass.

I know this is a bit of a long post however can anyone who has taken the time to read it all give some advice as to which components I should look at upgrading first. I am looking at speakers and stands at the moment. I would like to buy second hand off eBay and would allow a budget of up to £500 for the speakers and stands in total.

Here are a few items I have been looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330549601653&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130502356789&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260763215269&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180646478722&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270731122770&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The Monitor Audio Silver 9i floorstanders are of particular interest as the seller also has an X-ray CD player available which means I can kill two birds with one stone, however the speakers I feel will not be done justice in such a small room?

Looking for any feedback and comments, they will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd discount any idea of floorstanders in a room that size, look at changing the power amp to one with a tonal match to the inetgrated - ie an MF X-Series power amp - and then aim for the likes of the Leema or Monitor Audio standmount speakers you've linked to.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
I'd discount any idea of floorstanders in a room that size, look at changing the power amp to one with a tonal match to the inetgrated - ie an MF X-Series power amp - and then aim for the likes of the Leema or Monitor Audio standmount speakers you've linked to.

Thank you for your advice. Would you say that the power amp is a more critical component at this stage rather than the speakers? I particularly like the look and feedback I have found on the Leema's.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for whichever you can get the best deal on at any given time, but with the intention of doing the other half as soon as possible. The speakers will probably bring the biggest instant change, but they will sound even better when being powered by two amps of the same tonality – can't help but feel the MF and CA amps sound somewhat different.

Either an MF X-series stereo amp or a pair of monoblocs from the same range would be suitable.

A

Anonymous

Cold Roses said:
Chebber - you may already have seen this, but you can get the Leema Xeros brand new from Sevenoaks Hi Fi in Brighton for £400.

I think I had seen this briefly earlier on today. Thank you, I shall take a further look!

Andrew Everard said:
I'd go for whichever you can get the best deal on at any given time, but with the intention of doing the other half as soon as possible. The speakers will probably bring the biggest instant change, but they will sound even better when being powered by two amps of the same tonality – can't help but feel the MF and CA amps sound somewhat different.

Either an MF X-series stereo amp or a pair of monoblocs from the same range would be suitable.

I understand, thank you. The CA came up cheap on eBay and admittedly I have only just got round to connecting it up (house move) If I were to sell it on I would be in profit. The X-ray seems to be harder to get hold of and commands good money. I will keep searching!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I would also look at, if MF power amps are sparse, Arcam Alpha or DIVA range. They are going cheap and have similar tonal qualities to MF, so I'm told.

Hmm, I wouldn't mix and match like that: apart from tonal differences, there's the problem of gain-matching, too.

BTW, pair of X-A200s for sale here.

A

Anonymous

Would the 200's not be overkill? I was thinking of the x-a50's. Thank you for the link - I shall keep scouring eBay, a pair of 200's sold recently for £350
smiley-surprised.gif

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Or if the XA200s are a little too much you could add a pair of XA50s and biamp. They come up quite regularly on ebay and a good pair would set you back around £300. Or sell the xa1 and get a xa2.
Have a look for some used/ex-demo RX2s ?
Or MF & B&W seem to suit each other.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
X-A50s will work fine, but the X-A200s will give very – let's say – satisfying bass!

I thought that I would need some bigger speakers to run these, or at least capable of handling big power? I understand that with them being very powerful that they will power smaller speakers effortlessly, and as long as I am not turning the volume up full blast then I assume the smaller speakers will be ok?

I will keep an eye out for both x-a50's and the x-a200's also. I have looked at the B&W 685 speakers, they sound like they could be what I am after.

Thanks for your help guys.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebber said:
I understand that with them being very powerful that they will power smaller speakers effortlessly, and as long as I am not turning the volume up full blast then I assume the smaller speakers will be ok?

Exactly.

A

Anonymous

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320681378234&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Any thoughts on these Castle Inversion 15 speakers?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Seem to remember I quite liked the Castle Inversions I listened to some years back, despite the slightly odd 'inspired by Tim Burton' styling, but can't remember which model they were.

TRENDING THREADS