5.1 speaker set up for under £1,500

Bradybunch1

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I think I may have answered my own question as I write it all down. But to continue, I got the itch to change my 5.1 set up and thought start afresh what would you buy.

To start with the TV is 50" plasma pansonic, loving it and partners well with big blocky centre speakers sat underneath.

Bought the AV amp Onkyo NR-609 and that is brilliant - hope to last 10 years with this one.

Now 5.1 speakers I currently have - Missions fronts M74i, centre MXC2, rears MX1 and sub is mordant short advant 309i so you see I just last year updated the centre and rears but kept the fronts and a sub is a sub, does it's boom box duties well.

So starting afresh would you go for B&W 685 - Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 or Mission MX4 - I wont list the full spec of each but needless to say B&W most expensive, Mordaunt short real bargain prices about and Mission I have and maybe should just stick to it.

what started all this off? - bought me Mordaunt Short aviano 1's for £100 and suddenly thought I could build a 5.1 set up with cheap buys like this - damn you bargain buys, always pulling me in to upgrade, swap around, call it what you like.

An afterthought - Mordaunt Short and Mission - is there really much difference with there aviano and MX ranges. And B&W are they that much better.......the only time I bought B&W before was the LM1's and I still have them - lovely speakers, even just to look at....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure I'd change what you have for a £1,500 package - seems a little bit of a side step to me. I'd either save for something better, or replace the sub for something more capable. But then again, a better speaker package will require a more capable amp, and the cycle begins! I think the receiver should've been part of the decision with the speakers, which would've distributed the budget better.

Bradybunch1

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
A voice of reason. Thank you so much. I often believe changes are made mostly for the sheer sake of it.

So if I changed the speakers I would notice no difference because they would do an equal job of what the AV - Onkyo NR609 throws at them.

The amp I will keep as it is - situated in a room 5m by 3m it booms plenty. I had a feeling though advice might steer towards changing this over anything else. We live in a booming era.....

The new MX speakers do a good job replacing the mission MC1i centre and M7DS surrounds. Have to put these up for sale and do a mini clear out I think.

The new MS aviano 1's will partner up with the onkyo 525 - little bit concerned about placement of these

Bradybunch1

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Following on from the suggestion of a new Subwoofer.

For £500 would the B&W ASW610 or a used PV-1 be a good addition and replacement to the stylish MS Avant 309i

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's not a case of you'l notice 'no' difference as all speakers sound different, but if you use an amp or speakr package in a set up that is out of it's depth, it'll not give you value for money and may not perform as it should do.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Well to confuse matters I think you would notice a big change if you upgraded your speakers. At this price point we regularly install the Dali Zensor 5 pack. It works very well with the Onkyo but if you fancy a change chopping in the 609 and spending the rest of your budget you could get to the new Pioneer VSX-1122. The Pioneer is a step up on the Onkyo and a great match for the Dali's.

Bradybunch1

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Change the Amp after just a year - thats mean. Nope will be very good and keep for 10 years the onkyo NR609 along with the TV 50" panasonic G30 - no need for 3D and good I think for 10 years also.

Pioneer though, that is a very tempting make and model. You know just the right thing to tempt a man.

I have enquired with B&W and they suggest the ASW610 or the RELT5.

I am tempted with the B&W sub.....

I dont know how I ended up hear it all started with the aviano 1's and then looking at the old floor standers and wandering if they needed changing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts